SocialPhobiaWorld.com  
     

Home Today's Posts Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 
Go Back   SocialPhobiaWorld.com > Social Anxiety Disorder Forums > Social Anxiety Medication
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2010
 

Does the body eventually become immune to all drugs(at a certain dose)? It feels like eventually, every drug that I take, loses its positive effects first, then side effects, then your just left with the dependence/withdrawal of the drug.

It feels like every drug I take I enter into a marriage with the drug. The marriage eventually goes sour, and divorce is what happens when I try to withdraw. As the drug and my body divorce each other the drug takes half of everything I own, my soul and sanity in this case.

I hate drugs. I wish I was normal and didn't need any. All my body/brain says is "toss another coin in the wishing well pal, that ain't happening".
Noca is offline  
Old 03-02-2010
 

You've got it man. I'd smack your doctor in the face for putting you on all those narcotics in the first place. The pain of what you were living to begin with would probably be better than the pain + withdrawal of all of those narcotics. I foresaw you writing this post as soon as I saw your signature of all the drugs you're on. Doctors will do anything these days to get sick people addicted to drugs so they return to give more money, in the end for nothing but the same pain and withdrawals (from several meds in your case). Doctors are sick these days. They knew this was going to happen for you, and thats why you need to give them a piece of your mind now that you know how it feels to be taken advantage of by greedy ****ing docs. Hope u feel better soon man.


Peace
SilentType is offline  
Old 03-02-2010
mrb
mrb's Avatar
Elite User
 

thats a lot of stuff to be taking mate ... really id question that ....
mrb is offline  
Old 03-02-2010
davidburke's Avatar
Elite User
 

that is alot of stuff your taking that much can't be good
davidburke is offline  
Old 03-02-2010
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentType View Post
You've got it man. I'd smack your doctor in the face for putting you on all those narcotics in the first place. The pain of what you were living to begin with would probably be better than the pain + withdrawal of all of those narcotics. I foresaw you writing this post as soon as I saw your signature of all the drugs you're on. Doctors will do anything these days to get sick people addicted to drugs so they return to give more money, in the end for nothing but the same pain and withdrawals (from several meds in your case). Doctors are sick these days. They knew this was going to happen for you, and thats why you need to give them a piece of your mind now that you know how it feels to be taken advantage of by greedy ****ing docs. Hope u feel better soon man.


Peace
Thing is I was really screwed up before meds too, was depressed, suicdal, anxious, in physical agony etc. Every medication I'm on, I've personally asked to be on in a dire attempt for treatment and relief of my many illnesses. My doctor obviously had to agree when prescribing them all. But yeah. I dont understand how I'm supposed to say "well I'll treat this illness but I won't treat this one" and so on. Since almost all my illnesses make each other worse. I've tried well over 100 hours of therapy, but my illnesses seem to be winning. In the end I guess I was wrong, wrong to want to feel normal for once.

I'm going to be starting physiotherapy for my pain. I don't just use drugs, I use everything my doctors and I can think of. Sigh...
Noca is offline  
Old 03-02-2010
Devrium's Avatar
Intermediate User
 

You don't become immune to them but you do build up a tolerance to all drugs over time... meaning that you might have to start taking higher doses to get the same effects. But dude, seriously that's way too much for one person to be taking. I don't know who your pharmacist is but they should never have allowed that many scripts to be filled. I am a pharmacy tech.. I have worked in hospital and retail pharmacy's for years and years, and I am telling you now that it's our job to cross check all scripts that go out and to make sure the docs aren't fcking up.. I mean to be quite blunt about it, doctors don't know **** about drugs. Anyway.. just be careful.. my years in hospital have taught me that Klonopin and Zyprexa don't mix well at all.. just don't take the Zyprexa IM.. it could kill you. Zyprexa (olanzapine) mixed with any benzodiazapine (IM) is fatal... I'm sorry for you, and I wish I could offer more advice.. all I can say is whatever you think you can live without.. get off it now.. =/
Devrium is offline  
Old 03-02-2010
 

Quote:
I mean to be quite blunt about it, doctors don't know **** about drugs.
Haha thats why they spend all that time learning about them in college right? Statement of the year right there lol...


Peace
SilentType is offline  
Old 03-02-2010
Devrium's Avatar
Intermediate User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentType View Post
Haha thats why they spend all that time learning about them in college right? Statement of the year right there lol...


Peace
Yes, well when you have worked in a pharmacy and you spend 90% of your time correcting prescriptions that doctors write because 90% of the time it's incorrect dosages or they don't take the time to actually look at the patients other medications.. then you will understand what I mean. The pharmacists I have worked with have saved hundreds of lives because they have caught and corrected errors that were made by doctors.

Edit: and by the way, I didn't mean that to come off as harsh or rude or anything. It's just my personal opinion. I have nothing against doctors.. I just think they could educate themselves a bit more on medications... and who knows maybe it's just the doctors in my area that are inept. Either way no offense...
Devrium is offline  
Old 03-03-2010
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentType View Post
Haha thats why they spend all that time learning about them in college right? Statement of the year right there lol...


Peace
Here, the doctors say the same thing about pharmacists, that they are inept. Having worked in the pharmacy myself, I found that doctors make prescribing errors and pharmacists make advice errors, only knowing about the medication and next to nothing about the illnesses they treat.
Noca is offline  
Old 03-03-2010
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrium View Post
You don't become immune to them but you do build up a tolerance to all drugs over time... meaning that you might have to start taking higher doses to get the same effects. But dude, seriously that's way too much for one person to be taking. I don't know who your pharmacist is but they should never have allowed that many scripts to be filled. I am a pharmacy tech.. I have worked in hospital and retail pharmacy's for years and years, and I am telling you now that it's our job to cross check all scripts that go out and to make sure the docs aren't fcking up.. I mean to be quite blunt about it, doctors don't know **** about drugs. Anyway.. just be careful.. my years in hospital have taught me that Klonopin and Zyprexa don't mix well at all.. just don't take the Zyprexa IM.. it could kill you. Zyprexa (olanzapine) mixed with any benzodiazapine (IM) is fatal... I'm sorry for you, and I wish I could offer more advice.. all I can say is whatever you think you can live without.. get off it now.. =/
When I said, (at a certain dose) I was talking about tolerance, though in a more general less medical sense. As for Zyprexa and Klonopin killing me, I wish that happened. But I am still alive after 4 years of mixing the two drugs together. I haven't used either of them in IM form, nor do I plan to, nor does my doctors plan to. And if I were in a hospital unconscious, injected with the combination, I'm sure they would revive me, if not, oh well, didn't wanna live anyways. Also, the same pharmacy has filled the two scripts together in 3 different pharmacies over the years so far, and I've never heard a word about it. I looked it up on drugs.com "drug interaction checker" and apparently the deaths are just that, IM forms of the drugs being used.

I'm not worried about drugs killing me as much as I'm worried about them making my life as I live worse off than it already is. But all the same, thanks for replying to my post
Noca is offline  
Old 03-03-2010
 

Dude. Opiates, benzos, and stims?

These are seriously addictive drugs man. I thought you knew the risks.

Ah well... The answer to your question is yes, the body eventually becomes tolerant to every drug if taken regularly. Its just a fact of life.

The body/mind work to maintain homeostasis so it in turn down-regulates its production of various neurotransmitters because your effectively getting them in pill form. Thats tolerance in a nutshell.

You could try to reduce your intake to increase the effectiveness of the pills but you would most certainly experience withdrawal. I recommend withdrawing from only one class of drugs at a time otherwise it might be too much.

I have dealt with a hardcore addiction to 4mg/day of Klonopin. I took it for 2 years until it became basically completely ineffective. I did a slow taper and went through withdrawal and it was hell. I was housebound for aboot a year after my last Klonopin pill. I take a bit of Xanax now (1mg/day) and eventually the same thing will happen with it.

I would however say that benzos are worth the addiction for myself because they really help with that hardcore gut-sinking anxiety that I always seem to have.
DillJenkins is offline  
Old 03-03-2010
Devrium's Avatar
Intermediate User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca View Post
When I said, (at a certain dose) I was talking about tolerance, though in a more general less medical sense. As for Zyprexa and Klonopin killing me, I wish that happened. But I am still alive after 4 years of mixing the two drugs together. I haven't used either of them in IM form, nor do I plan to, nor does my doctors plan to. And if I were in a hospital unconscious, injected with the combination, I'm sure they would revive me, if not, oh well, didn't wanna live anyways. Also, the same pharmacy has filled the two scripts together in 3 different pharmacies over the years so far, and I've never heard a word about it. I looked it up on drugs.com "drug interaction checker" and apparently the deaths are just that, IM forms of the drugs being used.

I'm not worried about drugs killing me as much as I'm worried about them making my life as I live worse off than it already is. But all the same, thanks for replying to my post
Sorry I know I am not that helpful.. I just get overly worried I guess when it comes to drugs.. not only cuz of my own personal background with them (and my years spent in the pharmacy) but also because I am genuinely concerned.. I hate drugs and I wish I nor anyone I knew had to take them. In my personal opinion, more times than not, they do more harm than good.. But sadly some are necessary.. example.. I am fighting my second bout with cancer right now, and if it wasn't for the chemotherapy I am sure I wouldn't be here...They make me sick, and tired, and well totally fcked up in general... but I need them.. I'm sorry to hear you say that "As for Zyprexa and Klonopin killing me, I wish that happened." but it's not like I can blame you.. I can completely relate.. =/ I just wish you the best of luck with everything... and sorry I couldn't be of much help
Devrium is offline  
Old 03-03-2010
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrium View Post
Sorry I know I am not that helpful.. I just get overly worried I guess when it comes to drugs.. not only cuz of my own personal background with them (and my years spent in the pharmacy) but also because I am genuinely concerned.. I hate drugs and I wish I nor anyone I knew had to take them. In my personal opinion, more times than not, they do more harm than good.. But sadly some are necessary.. example.. I am fighting my second bout with cancer right now, and if it wasn't for the chemotherapy I am sure I wouldn't be here...They make me sick, and tired, and well totally fcked up in general... but I need them.. I'm sorry to hear you say that "As for Zyprexa and Klonopin killing me, I wish that happened." but it's not like I can blame you.. I can completely relate.. =/ I just wish you the best of luck with everything... and sorry I couldn't be of much help
Chemotherapy/cancer must suck! I'm sorry you have to go through that =(

I was reading about a drug called "Emend" to treat chemo induced nausea/vomiting. Its really expensive but if your insurance covers it, maybe it can improve your quality of life during chemotherapy.
Noca is offline  
Old 03-03-2010
 

i was on antidepressants, stopped taking them because they were having no affect on me. i've just decided to find other ways to fight it. telling myself jokes in the mirror etc
OPERA is offline  
Old 03-03-2010
 

This is a tad embarrassing to have to tell, but in a strange way yes. My grandma is a prime example, she's addicted to medication. Always has been, has tried about every drug. Now that she's older of course(almost 63) she's not doing it as much but her medications are her main vice. It's sad. She's had two surgeries in the last two months and on both she had to be kept longer because they couldn't get her pain under control. This is only because she's highly tolerable, she's taken everything and she's practically "immune" to it. The doctors told us that she's couldn't be given anymore medication because if they did she would stop breathing, obviously she has some problems Now that most doctors know about her dependency they won't treat her because they know she's in it for the pills so I do hope that you're taking your medication in the appropriate doses and not abusing them. I'd hate for anyone to end up like my grandmother has been lately.
Krista is offline  
Old 03-03-2010
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista View Post
This is a tad embarrassing to have to tell, but in a strange way yes. My grandma is a prime example, she's addicted to medication. Always has been, has tried about every drug. Now that she's older of course(almost 63) she's not doing it as much but her medications are her main vice. It's sad. She's had two surgeries in the last two months and on both she had to be kept longer because they couldn't get her pain under control. This is only because she's highly tolerable, she's taken everything and she's practically "immune" to it. The doctors told us that she's couldn't be given anymore medication because if they did she would stop breathing, obviously she has some problems Now that most doctors know about her dependency they won't treat her because they know she's in it for the pills so I do hope that you're taking your medication in the appropriate doses and not abusing them. I'd hate for anyone to end up like my grandmother has been lately.
I only take either what I'm prescribed or below what I'm prescribed, mostly below. I'm not addicted to my meds, I'm just dependent on them, which is still bad.
Noca is offline  
Post Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads to Does the body eventually become immune?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What part of your body do you like the most? Ventrilotwo Social Anxiety Forum 34 01-08-2009 08:27 PM
Are you comfortable with you body? mrmgl Social Anxiety Forum 30 06-09-2008 12:35 AM



Mobile Version
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:57 AM.