SocialPhobiaWorld.com  
     

Home Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 
Go Back   SocialPhobiaWorld.com > Social Anxiety Disorder Forums > Social Anxiety Forum

Post New Thread Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2011  
Banned
Elite User
 

Default Re: Head tremors or shaking when anxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waybuloo View Post
Do you have it? Do you think that is a weird symptom to have of anxiety?
Yes well tremors but not shaking, and at first I thought it was a weird symptom to have. Like you say it's not something which is listed amongst the other more prominent signs like blushing sweating ect I even mentioned it to doctors and got a vacant look.

I remember when my anxiety first flared up. I was staying in a hostel and felt so concious every time I was sat downstairs with like 10 other people. I would get these like sudden jolts of movement in my neck or arm. Only really small ones, but they made me feel so horribly self concious. I started to think my nervous system was damaged or something.

But I think when we get have acute anxiety, it's easy to get so tense, your muscles kind of seize up and it really affects your posture and stuff as you can't relax. The more you try and control it the worse it gets. I get really stiff when I walk too, again because I worry everyone is looking at me, so I kind of try and control how I walk..instead of walking naturally. I get the exact same neck/head tremors. But yeah it's horrible, not feeling in control of your own body.
Danfalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011  
Elite User
Nanita's Avatar
 

Default Re: Head tremors or shaking when anxious

I have noticed that if Im drinking something, while being nervous and with people, my head gets so tense that its kind of shanking..?! Like, when I put the cup to my mouth and start sipping the tea, my head shakes a little...
Nanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011  
Elite User
Waybuloo's Avatar
 

Default Re: Head tremors or shaking when anxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole1 View Post
Yes. It's exactly what I deal with. I have to actually hold my face.... It happens when I sit in meetings. It happens when I'm sitting in the busy newsroom... I'm glad I know of someone else that has this problem. It's been with me since I was 13. That's 11 years, lol, wow. It's the scariest feeling in the world....
Same here Nicole, it's been with me for a long time, about 10 years. All started when I was a teen, whilst at the bus stop, having people walking towards me and I felt like I had to look back at them as I thought they were staring me down, and then a twitch happened and I felt so humiliated. The next time it happened was during a presentation in class, where I just lost it and it followed me till the present. I think you are brave to have dealt with it for so long, like I. It is a tremendous effort for people like us to deal with normal things that require being with people. Social anxiety is one thing, having nothing to say is another, and then head twitching is a nice icing on the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danfalc View Post
Yes well tremors but not shaking, and at first I thought it was a weird symptom to have. Like you say it's not something which is listed amongst the other more prominent signs like blushing sweating ect I even mentioned it to doctors and got a vacant look.

I remember when my anxiety first flared up. I was staying in a hostel and felt so concious every time I was sat downstairs with like 10 other people. I would get these like sudden jolts of movement in my neck or arm. Only really small ones, but they made me feel so horribly self concious. I started to think my nervous system was damaged or something.

But I think when we get have acute anxiety, it's easy to get so tense, your muscles kind of seize up and it really affects your posture and stuff as you can't relax. The more you try and control it the worse it gets. I get really stiff when I walk too, again because I worry everyone is looking at me, so I kind of try and control how I walk..instead of walking naturally. I get the exact same neck/head tremors. But yeah it's horrible, not feeling in control of your own body.
I told Doctors too in the past and they just looked at me weirdly. Well that put me at ease for telling any other health professional ever again I do think this is my body having a reaction, an outlet if you like, to what I feel inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanita View Post
I have noticed that if Im drinking something, while being nervous and with people, my head gets so tense that its kind of shanking..?! Like, when I put the cup to my mouth and start sipping the tea, my head shakes a little...
I get the same. If I am fine sitting there, by the time I lift a cup up to my mouth, my head will be shaking or wanting to shake. It's weird, I think it's because drinking it would draw attention to me more, or that if I hold a cup to my head and I shake, the whole cup will spill and shake. Hence I hate it when I visit somewhere and they offer my a cup of tea..

ちひろ
Waybuloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011  
Expert User
 

Default Re: Head tremors or shaking when anxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waybuloo View Post
Same here Nicole, it's been with me for a long time, about 10 years. All started when I was a teen, whilst at the bus stop, having people walking towards me and I felt like I had to look back at them as I thought they were staring me down, and then a twitch happened and I felt so humiliated. The next time it happened was during a presentation in class, where I just lost it and it followed me till the present. I think you are brave to have dealt with it for so long, like I. It is a tremendous effort for people like us to deal with normal things that require being with people. Social anxiety is one thing, having nothing to say is another, and then head twitching is a nice icing on the cake.



I told Doctors too in the past and they just looked at me weirdly. Well that put me at ease for telling any other health professional ever again I do think this is my body having a reaction, an outlet if you like, to what I feel inside.



I get the same. If I am fine sitting there, by the time I lift a cup up to my mouth, my head will be shaking or wanting to shake. It's weird, I think it's because drinking it would draw attention to me more, or that if I hold a cup to my head and I shake, the whole cup will spill and shake. Hence I hate it when I visit somewhere and they offer my a cup of tea..
As far as telling someone...no one got it. No one understood or listened. Presentations were worse. Some professors understood. It would have to be an extreme case for me to tell ANYONE. I experience the same with drinking anything. I'm sure people have notice when I do this- put the drink to my lips and not sip.
It's scary. And sometimes, I do more than I am capable of doing. Which is a super pain. I hate this.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has this. I always thought I was.
nicole1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011  
Newbie User
 

Default Re: Head tremors or shaking when anxious

I had a girl notice my hand trembling one time. She asked "Why are you shaking?' Of course this didn't help, it made me even more nervous and self concious. I've learned how to control it though where it rarely ever happens anymore.
Nl54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011  
Newbie User
geekyloaner's Avatar
 

Default Re: Head tremors or shaking when anxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waybuloo View Post
Do you have it? Do you think that is a weird symptom to have of anxiety?

I get like that when i'm in a situation where being stared at or scrutinised is very real, eg in a waiting room with people facing my or looking in my direction, or when people talk to me. It is very frustrating because my neck at the base of my skull feels like it's being wrung and I have moments of intense fear that eclipse any logic, any freedom to think, any composure, and I don't care if i'm blushing or sweating because this twitching makes me feel like i'm losing control and i'm humiliating myself.

So I think that subconsciusly, my biggest fear is of people laughing at me, as it's a sign of weakness and of loss of control of one's body, not to mention it looks peculiar. I can't explain it but the moment my head twitches it feels like the worst feeling in the world, especially when people are looking. What do you think when you see some one who isn't of the age that experiences Alzheimer's, who has a head twitch or shaking in the head? Would you think that's from nerves? And what is your honest opinion of a person's opinion who does not suffer from anxiety and who therefore isn't as understanding.
Got to say I start to shake when I get around people and they just start to look my way. I fumble words and even stutter even just saying hello (when ever talking to women it gets worse). The biggest is when I begin to talk to my self not a fun way to talk to people by answering my question I ask them or start to laugh loudly or talk loudly. No reason just when I have anxiety. When I am around people. I also find it hard to sit still around certain people. Well thats just me others may have something different and I also tend to argue with people also because of my anxiety. I hope seeing a new psychologist helps. A lot just are pill pushers and don't really care. So I say unto you this is my anxiety.

WE all must dream and wish to live longer....hmm thats sounds like being a kid lets all frolic!!! la la la!!

Last edited by geekyloaner; 04-07-2011 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
geekyloaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011  
Newbie User
 

Default Re: Head tremors or shaking when anxious

Hey guys,

I have also had this head-shaking problem since I was about 14 (I am 20 now) and it has caused me great stress. I recently went to a psychiatrist because I was about to drop out of college it was getting so bad. Because of these events I began searching harder than ever for a solution.

Well, I found a book that seems to be a solution. It's called "Hope And Help For Your Nerves" by Dr. Claire Weeks. I highly recommend it. The things it talks about seem to be a sure-fire way to cure this issue. It speaks of nervous trembling in detail.

In summary, the reason we shake is because we have a very sensitized nervous system. We are so afraid of the feelings that arise some times that it leads to a cycle which produces even more fear. When this happens many times, the body eventually becomes better and better at panicking very quickly. This bewilders us even more and causes the situation to get worse to the point of shaking and feeling out of control.

I don't know about you guys but this describes me. Dr. Weeks recommends a very simple four step procedure:

1. Face
2. Accept
3. Float
4. Let Time Pass

I think the worst part about this illness is not knowing what it is and what is causing it. Without knowing, we feel hopeless. That being said, this book has given me tremendous hope. I highly recommend buying and reading it. It goes into much more detail. I sincerely believe that full recovery is achievable with time.

Feel free to message me!
jakewatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012  
Newbie User
 

Default Re: Head tremors or shaking when anxious

If you are suffering from a tremor then this could well be due to a neurological disorder called essential tremor. This is relatively harmless but obviously is embarrassing and can cause anxiety and social withdrawal. A head tremor is a fairly typical symptom of essential tremor (as is a tremor in the hands, arms or trunk but it can actually manifest anywhere).

Tremor could indicate other underlying medical issues though, so it's important to go and have it diagnosed by a doctor - they can run blood tests to confirm it's not an issue such as over-active thyroid and physical tests to check it's not Parkinson's. If needs be there are further tests that can be run. This may well be embarrassing but it is important to do it. If your doctor is not helpful then find another - these are well documented disorders and you can find more info on essential tremor on the web.

There are treatments available that can greatly reduce the effects and your doctor should be able to recommend something. Just being informed alone may help you to understand and manage this embarrassing condition.

I hope this information is useful.
TomJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013  
Newbie User
 

Default Re: Head tremors or shaking when anxious

Im so happy I found this!!

Often when Im at the city bus station (every morning) where 1000 of people are waiting for the bus, I feel like they all stare at me because of my super bad/stiff posture.
If I meet somebodys eyes, my head starts to "in robot moves" turn around and back!
Its very scary and uncomfortable, because I think people notice and judge me for it. I hate it so much!
Awkwardandshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads to Head tremors or shaking when anxious
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shaking.. Falkor Social Anxiety Forum 10 10-24-2012 10:26 AM
Help!! I cant stop shaking! dontbelikejake Meeting People 2 10-24-2012 10:23 AM
Tremors Badbuz Social Anxiety Forum 4 12-10-2009 02:57 AM
Tremors Shaky_Hand_Man Social Anxiety Forum 0 10-28-2007 07:11 PM
Shaking or feeling really 'fast' Chilaxin17 Social Anxiety Forum 7 09-16-2005 02:03 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2