SocialPhobiaWorld.com  
     

Home Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 
Go Back   SocialPhobiaWorld.com > Social Anxiety Disorder Forums > Social Anxiety Forum

Post New Thread Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-25-2013  
R3K
Advanced User
R3K's Avatar
 

Default i don't want obamacare

I'm 33 years old and have changed jobs a few times over the past 2 years. this is some pretty frequent job-switching for me seeing as prior I had come from a job of 8 years. I had some "whatever" healthcare from that old job, but now I don't have anything.

here's what's bothering me though: I don't like signing up for things, and my parents are nagging the crap out of me to sign up for obamacare. they coerced me into seeing them and my sister for xmas Monday night, then as I was leaving my dad basically issued a kind of ultimatum saying they were either going to come out to the city I live in and go over obamacare sign up with me or I was going to drive back out there to see them and do it (1.5 hr drive). also, while I was out there my dad paid 600$ to get new tires on my car (which I didn't really ask for.)

I'd just made that drive two days ago and I don't want to do it again. I don't like obamacare (paying 200 bucks a month for something I'm not going to use). I don't like being blackmailed by my parents so they can feel better about themselves.

I sent them a text a few hours ago saying to meet me in LA at some mall... because I don't want them to see the house I live in and have to deal with formalities with my roommates (thanks SA). I thought by going out there Monday that they'd be satisfied and I could rest and relax today (xmas), but now I'm just more strung out and anxious, and a little more than pissed off as well, to be honest...

/rant

No, I don't smoke.
R3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013  
Super Moderator
Elite User
Remus's Avatar
 

Default Re: i don't want obamacare

So obama care isnt free at the point of delivery like our beloved NHS? That's crap!

We pay for it in a slightly different way though, through national insurance (like state life insurance), which comes out of your wages in the the event of anything bad happening. i.e. unemployment, disabled, old age, heath issues (and Rich people pay more). You can be born disabled and never contribute and get the full cover (as it is no fault of your own being born that way) Seems more civilised to me.

‘Nietzsche says there are two kinds of people in the world. People who are destined for greatness, like Walt Disney and Hitler and then there’s the rest of us. He called us, ‘the bungled and the botched.’ We get teased we sometimes get close to greatness, but we never get there. We’re the expendable masses. We get pushed in front of trains, take poison aspirin and get gunned down in Dairy Queens.’ The Fisher King

Last edited by Remus; 12-25-2013 at 04:29 PM..
Remus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013  
coyote's Avatar
 

Default Re: i don't want obamacare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remus View Post
So obama care isnt free at the point of delivery like our beloved NHS? That's crap!
there's not an actual program of any kind called "obamacare"

there is a new law called The Affordable Care Act which requires everyone to have a certain minimum healthcare insurance coverage

if your employer does cover you, and you cannot afford an insurance policy on your own, this law mandates that the government provide you with assistance - either by enrolling in you in a government funded medicaid program or by providing financial subsidies and helping you find and enroll in private healthcare that you can afford based on your financial situation

(as a veteran, it looks like i will qualify for VA healthcare)

the other piece of the Affordable Care Act is that is forces the insurance industry to give up many unfair practices that they have traditionally used to screw the consumer and holds the entire healthcare industry to a higher standard

if the insurance companies wish to remain competitive, they will have to lower their costs and provide greater coverage - and in order to remain profitable, they will, in turn, force medical providers to lower their costs

the big business concerns that profit from healthcare are obviously opposed to this type of reform, so they've got their lapdog conservative politicians yelling all sorts of nonsense and calling people names trying to shake up everyone into believing that this is a bad idea

"To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered." - Voltaire

"We cannot become what we want to be by remaining what we are." - Max De Pree

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin

Last edited by coyote; 12-25-2013 at 06:37 PM..
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013  
Advanced User
theoutsider's Avatar
 

Default Re: i don't want obamacare

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
there's not an actual program of any kind called "obamacare"

there is a new law called The Affordable Care Act which requires everyone to have a certain minimum healthcare insurance coverage

if your employer does cover you, and you cannot afford an insurance policy on your own, this law mandates that the government provide you with assistance - either by enrolling in you in a government funded medicaid program or by providing financial subsidies and helping you find and enroll in private healthcare that you can afford based on your financial situation

(as a veteran, it looks like i will qualify for VA healthcare)

the other piece of the Affordable Care Act is that is forces the insurance industry to give up many unfair practices that they have traditionally used to screw the consumer and holds the entire healthcare industry to a higher standard

if the insurance companies wish to remain competitive, they will have to lower their costs and provide greater coverage - and in order to remain profitable, they will, in turn, force medical providers to lower their costs

the big business concerns that profit from healthcare are obviously opposed to this type of reform, so they've got their lapdog conservative politicians yelling all sorts of nonsense and calling people names trying to shake up everyone into believing that this is a bad idea
Thanks for posting that. I was going to post something similar until I read yours. So many times, people go into attack mode when ACA is mentioned either because they don't like Obama or they have been misinformed by others with political motivations. The big businesses are terrified of ACA and they have their media machines on full power. I hope the truth reaches more people as time goes on.
theoutsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013  
Elite User
ImNotMyIllness's Avatar
 

Default Re: i don't want obamacare

Hey R3K. Truth is, Obama Care has winners and losers. There's a number of things that are really great with the bill but also quite a few that suck. If you're income is very low, you qualify for free health care, like Medi Cal (for Californians). I'll be getting this and it's great.

However, if you do have to pay and the subsidies are not enough........I understand getting no insurance and saving the money. I believe that there are also private insurance plans that only cover major emergencies. If you got insurance, it sounds like that would make more sense for you.

Don't let your parents guilt trip you.

I collect mental issues!
ImNotMyIllness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013  
Elite User
 

Default Re: i don't want obamacare

Well considering their website is being hacked, don't think we have to worry too much about it being enacted.

Hacking tool threatens to 'Destroy Obamacare' | The Daily Caller
MollyBeGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013  
Barbaric Member
Elite User
jc972's Avatar
 

Default Re: i don't want obamacare

If you don't want it then don't get it. But I think it's illegal to not have insurance and not get the Affordable Healthcare Act insurance though. Or you have to pay a yearly penalty.

I'm not justifying what I said, it's just that it really needed to be said.
jc972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013  
Super Moderator
Elite User
lurknomore's Avatar
 

Default Re: i don't want obamacare

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc972 View Post
If you don't want it then don't get it. But I think it's illegal to not have insurance and not get the Affordable Healthcare Act insurance though. Or you have to pay a yearly penalty.
I heard the penalty is $95. Not bad if you don't want insurance you'll never or barely use.
lurknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013  
Newbie User
 

Default Re: i don't want obamacare

Your parents sound just like mine, don't do anything you don't want to , your parents have to relies that your an adult who has the right to make your own decisions in life and have no right of emotionly blackmailing to keep control of you. Their using the new types on your car to make you feel guilty if you don't do as they say, you need to tell them that your adult and you either have a relationship where you see them and you have control of your life or you don't . Sorry if I am way off here :((
bladeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013  
R3K
Advanced User
R3K's Avatar
 

Default Re: i don't want obamacare

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurknomore View Post
I heard the penalty is $95. Not bad if you don't want insurance you'll never or barely use.
this is what's pissing me off, I never go to the hospital/doctor except for a yearly checkup that's like, 20$ copay and that's it. but the government is going to jack 95$ from me every year cause I don't want to pay for other people?

part of my SA coping mechanic is intense introvertive (lol the autospell check on this site doesn't think "introvertive" is a word) focus. I don't have sh*t in this life, and what things I do possess, including my meager income rate, I protect and hold onto that sh*t like lil wayne coddles a doobie, or his cup of purp'juice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeds View Post
Your parents sound just like mine, don't do anything you don't want to , your parents have to relies that your an adult who has the right to make your own decisions in life and have no right of emotionly blackmailing to keep control of you. Their using the new types on your car to make you feel guilty if you don't do as they say, you need to tell them that your adult and you either have a relationship where you see them and you have control of your life or you don't . Sorry if I am way off here :((
nah you're actually right on the money here. my dad always talks about how my mom's own anxiety overflows into him, and in their cumulative efforts to deal with that, they target something about me that bothers them and suddenly it becomes an epic Munt Mordor-seeking quest they'll go to any lengths to achieve, including blackmail and guilt-ransoming.

/rant2

No, I don't smoke.
R3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2