SocialPhobiaWorld.com  
     

Home Today's Posts Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 
Go Back   SocialPhobiaWorld.com > Social Anxiety Disorder Forums > Member Introductions
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2011
 

Yes, as much as I want to stay positive, I just have to admit that most people around present absolutely no interest to me. And how else can you use to describe these animals who usually have no other interests except eating, drinking, sleeping, sex and maybe some stupid sporting activity?
I'm not superhuman either, and not even Nietzsche fan (hate this *******!). I just want to talk about intelligent, deep subjects, while most people around me seem incapable of it.
I'm taking classes in college, working for state agency in an average American city in the state of California, so I communicate with what you may consider "average people". From my observations of these "average people" I noticed the following topics that get their attention:
1) Their health - "I am sick", and "I'm feeling better" is N1. They like to discuss their health with detail, as if they are talking to doctors. Usually their diseases are nothing more then cold or allergy, but they make it look like they got cancer.
2) What they ate for lunch - It's much easier to go and try rather then discuss. It is interesting that unlike me, most of these people never tried anything more sophisticated then pizza, sandwiches, burrito or Chinese take-away.
3) Their husbands/wives, kids - It is especially painful for me to hear since I never had a girlfriend and had only one disastrous sexual experience 5 years ago (I will discuss it in some other post). But I don't care much if their sister Suzy is working in a bank, or their husband Ben is a plumber. Their kids school and university "successes" present absolutely no interest to me either, as most likely these "successes" will lead to more unexciting careers like their parents. When these bores talk about how their son (of a bore) is getting married, I only hope his future wife will have enough taste to file a divorce.
4) Sports, music and movies - Sports, with the exception of soccer, present no interest to me, how can anyone seriously like football or baseball? Their interest in movies and music usually don't go past Hollywood blockbusters or what is on the charts, and comments sound something like "I love this song", or "This was a cool movie, __________ was hot, and there was a cool shooting/romance".
5) New gadget - No comment

With younger people it's even worse, text messaging teenagers who only care about the new iphone, party with alcohol, and new boyfriend/girlfriend, who often doesn't know what the capital of China is and can't add 53 and 46 without a calculator is a disgrace.

Often these people are also highly intolerant, and can't even imagine that somebody who is 29 can be sexually and romantically inexperienced, and prefers depth to meaningless chatter. Many are also racists and homophobes, although few would admit it (it's actually not too bad in California). A large number of people attend churches, but they never even think of questioning or even taking a closer look at their religion.

I'm not saying that I am one of the elite, not at all, but at least I try to achieve something meaningful, I am a musician, and also plan on getting into journalism, I have a purpose in life, while most people are kind of like zombies - "work, school, home, party, vacation, shopping", and that's pretty much it.

Luckily, there are people around me, with whom I can communicate on politics, history, philosophy, and various cultural topics, but we are, unfortunately, the minority.

I'd like to also note that I do not have any social anxieties, I can meet and talk to people all right, and often initiate conversations, I am not shy(not much at least), I sang on stage, I have quite a few friends (about 10), but I do feel different, I don't feel like I belong in this consumerist culture, while most people are poisoned by it since the early childhood.
Dwight is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
MsBuzzkillington's Avatar
Expert User
 

It's culture and it's life. People like certain things and that's the way it is.

You say you don't like sports with the exception of soccer. So you like soccer?

Why? I don't see how anyone could watch soccer. <--- see what I did there? You are putting people into a category and calling them boring and less than you. You say that you aren't putting yourself at an elite status, but you are. You have zero tolerance for the way other people live their lives.

I am not saying you have to like what they like. People are different and it's good to surround yourself with like minded people and people who share your interests.

You have that. You said you have a group of friends who you have a lot in common with.

You also listed all of your qualifications and accomplishments.

You are not better than anyone because of what you do in your life. Or because you don't like talking about the latest Hollywood movie. You aren't better than anyone because you like to non pop culture bands. So, say I only like Justin Bieber and I've never listened to AC/DC... so?

You don't have to like what everyone else likes. It's part of being who you are. But to sit here and complain about all of them? That's wrong.

Also you said that you don't consider yourself elite but "at least you try to accomplish something meaningful."

Remember that it's only meaningful to YOU. Whatever someone else is doing is accomplishing something meaningful to THEM.
MsBuzzkillington is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
lunarla's Avatar
Elite User
 

If you're content in your opposition and deviation from all that you described as "boring" normal pop culture stuff, then I'm not so sure why you feel the need to rant about what is so awful about it all.

I've had my own experience with being completely disgusted with all that and putting some huge separation between myself and everything else. But if you're comfortable with yourself then there's no reason to, I think. You can exist among it, you don't have to feel a push and pull. Nothing good comes from the "us and them" mentality.
lunarla is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBuzzkillington View Post
It's culture and it's life. People like certain things and that's the way it is.

You say you don't like sports with the exception of soccer. So you like soccer?

Why? I don't see how anyone could watch soccer. <--- see what I did there? You are putting people into a category and calling them boring and less than you. You say that you aren't putting yourself at an elite status, but you are. You have zero tolerance for the way other people live their lives.

I am not saying you have to like what they like. People are different and it's good to surround yourself with like minded people and people who share your interests.

You have that. You said you have a group of friends who you have a lot in common with.

You also listed all of your qualifications and accomplishments.

You are not better than anyone because of what you do in your life. Or because you don't like talking about the latest Hollywood movie. You aren't better than anyone because you like to non pop culture bands. So, say I only like Justin Bieber and I've never listened to AC/DC... so?

You don't have to like what everyone else likes. It's part of being who you are. But to sit here and complain about all of them? That's wrong.

Also you said that you don't consider yourself elite but "at least you try to accomplish something meaningful."

Remember that it's only meaningful to YOU. Whatever someone else is doing is accomplishing something meaningful to THEM.
I'm not better then anyone, as I said, I'm not at all perfect. Neither am I a hater of so called pop culture (I actually like some of it more then some of so called underground culture).
Yes, I may be considered intolerant, but my intolerance is only a response to theirs.

I have been severely bullied in my high school years, and I later on asked one of these bullies why is he doing these things to me. His response was that I was different, that I didn't do or like the things other idiots like him were into (quite honest, isn't it?).

So, why am I supposed to be tolerant to such intolerance? No, sir, intolerant *******s caused a lot of misery in my life, and I will never like them, or be in any way tolerant to them.

And the modern society is theirs, it is not suited to people who stand away from the crowd. These days, long after I finished school, I still see that non acceptance of people different from them, it's just that their response to it is simply less violent, but no more accepting.

Why should I be tolerant to some text-messaging teenager who can't put two words together, and ridicules qualities such as intelligence and high morals?

And no, most people don't graduate from high school, they just become more mature, but their inner cores are corrupted. And yes, partially by this popular culture. So, why should we be tolerant to it? No, no, no!
Dwight is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarla View Post
If you're content in your opposition and deviation from all that you described as "boring" normal pop culture stuff, then I'm not so sure why you feel the need to rant about what is so awful about it all.

I've had my own experience with being completely disgusted with all that and putting some huge separation between myself and everything else. But if you're comfortable with yourself then there's no reason to, I think. You can exist among it, you don't have to feel a push and pull. Nothing good comes from the "us and them" mentality.
Why should I necessarily talk about things I am insecure about? That's a typical position of shy individuals, but the first step away from shyness is, in my opinion, in being secure, and talk from the position of strength.

I would love to separate myself from others, but it's a position of an ostrich hiding it's head in the sand. We are living in a cruel world, I just talked about people who are simply boring, but there are also people who are absolutely ruthless, who will eat you for the sake of it.

And the first step to confront this world, is, as I said, in being secure, and talking from the position of strength.
Dwight is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
MsBuzzkillington's Avatar
Expert User
 

Haven't you ever heard of the expression an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind? It's true. You can't fight fire with fire.

So SOME people aren't tolerant of people who have different views than theirs. Some people don't like people who are "different". Not everyone is like that.

You can't hate every single person who is interested in mainstream things. Not everyone is the same. Not everyone is a snob.

I am sorry to hear that someone in your high school bullied you because you were different. But you can't generalize and stereotype like that.

I just don't understand how you can complain about how unaccepting these people are, when you are doing the exact same thing.

Why should I be tolerant to some text-messaging teenager who can't put two words together, and ridicules qualities such as intelligence and high morals?

"And no, most people don't graduate from high school, they just become more mature, but their inner cores are corrupted. And yes, partially by this popular culture. So, why should we be tolerant to it? No, no, no! "

This is *your* opinion of what "high morals" are. Why should we be tolerant of your intolerance?

Stop judging people.
MsBuzzkillington is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
lunarla's Avatar
Elite User
 

I do believe there are far more becoming and useful things you can choose to talk and rant about from a position of strength and security, no?
lunarla is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
replica's Avatar
Intermediate User
 

I'm not intelligent enough to contribute to this thread but all I can say is I agree with what MsBuzzkillington has been saying.
replica is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
 

Haven't you ever heard of the expression an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind? It's true. You can't fight fire with fire.
Sure, I should love everybody. They spit in my eyes, I say "Oh, paradise!"
So SOME people aren't tolerant of people who have different views than theirs. Some people don't like people who are "different". Not everyone is like that.

So, according to this view, if Nazis hated Jews, then Jews shouldn't hate Nazis. In my opinion, evil can't be tolerated, and when something is bad, it cannot be accepted.
You can't hate every single person who is interested in mainstream things. Not everyone is the same. Not everyone is a snob.
I love a lot of mainstream things, I guess I wasn't clear on something. It's just that many people consume this popular culture, mainstream or independent, without any thought, and view the world through what they learned there.
Culture is nothing, by the way, in comparison to what kids learn from their peers and environment. That's where they learn truly evil stuff that contributes to the problem many people on this forums have.
I am sorry to hear that someone in your high school bullied you because you were different. But you can't generalize and stereotype like that.

I don't stereotype, unlike those bullies who, I bet, don't even know the word "stereotype". It's just clear to me that only a minority of people actually think, invent, and move this society forward. The majority is just followers. This is the truth, fortunately or unfortunately, and if you observe the society a little bit more, you will see that too.
I just don't understand how you can complain about how unaccepting these people are, when you are doing the exact same thing.
I didn't start it! I'm actually a friendly guy, and I honestly don't see how could someone hate you because you are different. But if they hate me, as I said, I'm not going to love them or even have neutral feelings towards them. They are scum, they are *******s, and I bet they don't have forums like this one where they rant how unfair society is. It is their victims who are having social anxieties, who don't have friends, who are not able to date, who are not able to find happiness.
Shyness and social anxiety are 100% learned, nobody is born shy, it is because of bad experiences with others people screw up their self-esteem. And I will never be tolerant to *******s who do these things to people.
This is *your* opinion of what "high morals" are. Why should we be tolerant of your intolerance?
Well, I am on the side of people crippled and oppressed by this society, who are the majority on this site. I bet you didn't come here because you are all right either.
Stop judging people.
Why not? It's always fun to judge, everybody judges everybody all the time, and then they talk nasty **** behind the back (not everybody does it, but it is quite common). I'm judging society as a whole, not one particular person. If I see something is wrong, why not talk about it?
Dwight is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarla View Post
I do believe there are far more becoming and useful things you can choose to talk and rant about from a position of strength and security, no?
Give me an idea, and maybe I'll talk about it
Dwight is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
[I] It's just clear to me that only a minority of people actually think, invent, and move this society forward. The majority is just followers.
...It is their victims who are having social anxieties, who don't have friends, who are not able to date, who are not able to find happiness.
Shyness and social anxiety are 100% learned, nobody is born shy, it is because of bad experiences with others people screw up their self-esteem. And I will never be tolerant to *******s who do these things to people.
...everybody judges everybody all the time, and then they talk nasty **** behind the back (not everybody does it, but it is quite common). I'm judging society as a whole, not one particular person. If I see something is wrong, why not talk about it?
Agreed.
Well let's talk about something interesting then.
Like, what would movement be like if you were large enough to hold the earth in your hand? If nothing goes faster than the speed of light, wouldn't that mean, at that size, you are eternally damned to move in slow motion?
CosmicNeurotica is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
 

[QUOTE=ToolShuggah;414789]Agreed.
Well let's talk about something interesting then.
Like, what would movement be like if you were large enough to hold the earth in your hand? If nothing goes faster than the speed of light, wouldn't that mean, at that size, you are eternally damned to move in slow motion?[/QUOTE

Large size doesn't mean I will be able to move faster then the speed of light. It is also unlikely that I will keep my human appearance, if this is the case, I will not be able to live in the vacuum and thus, move at any speed.

If let's say, I would become a being so large that the size of the Earth would be relative to the size of object that an average human being can hold in the hand, I would probably have to exist on a star, bigger then any "blue giant" we know about, and probably not move at all, or move like a tectonic plate, definitely not like a human.
Dwight is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBuzzkillington View Post
Haven't you ever heard of the expression an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind?
No, an eye for an eye leaves everyone looking like Gordon Brown. Terrible joke which is well past its use by date, but i couldn't resist. Somebody had to lighten this thread up, you've got such a bleak view on life. Is your grouping of people into categories because of what they like not the same as the bully you hate so very much? I agree with the eye for an eye thing, if everyone acted the same way to others as others did to them, it would take one bully and civilization would collapse. OK, that might be a little bit of an exaggeration, but you get where I'm coming from
pebblesdundee is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblesdundee View Post
No, an eye for an eye leaves everyone looking like Gordon Brown. Terrible joke which is well past its use by date, but i couldn't resist. Somebody had to lighten this thread up, you've got such a bleak view on life. Is your grouping of people into categories because of what they like not the same as the bully you hate so very much? I agree with the eye for an eye thing, if everyone acted the same way to others as others did to them, it would take one bully and civilization would collapse. OK, that might be a little bit of an exaggeration, but you get where I'm coming from
Ok, then I guess I should start loving everybody then, if this will save our civilization.
Before, I would say "Screw this civilization", and do my thing, but now, since I became so loving, I can't.
Dwight is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Ok, then I guess I should start loving everybody then, if this will save our civilization.
Before, I would say "Screw this civilization", and do my thing, but now, since I became so loving, I can't.
love is a strong word. how about putting up with people without wingeing about it?
pebblesdundee is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
 

Ok, how about an even larger scale then. What if a galaxy is the size of my hand.
Are you saying the laws of physics wouldn't allow an entity to move through space at the same rate it does on earth?
And why not?

What if my eye was the size of the universe itself? What kind of laws of physics dictate what I see?
If you look at, for instance, galaxies colliding. Well we say it takes millions and billions of years for that to happen. But you can simulate it on a computer screen in 2 minutes. And everything in space obeys the same laws of physics that they do on earth.
Maybe, on a universal scale, where the universe is the size of my house, 15 billion years has gone by to us. But for an entity in the much larger universal scale, it's been 15 minutes.

It has something to do with the correlation of time and space.
Because I just don't think the universe works only to our scale of understanding it.
CosmicNeurotica is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
Sinar_Matahari's Avatar
Elite User
 

Do you consider yourself to be above average or better than the "average people" you communicate with? Has it occurred to you that what may be deep for you may be boring to someone else or vice versa? I may be wrong, but what I'm sensing from your OP is that you look down on others and consider yourself to be superior. You claim not to be elitist, but your words seem to reflect it. Believe it or not, these "average people" can sense this sort of thing. Don't be suprised if they don't want to take some time out of what is probably a busy day to sit down and have a deep conversation with you.

One more thing I thought I'd address...if you don't have SA, shyness...you're here because you suffer from depression, HH, agoraphobia, OCD, love shyness?
Sinar_Matahari is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
Kiwong's Avatar
Elite User
 

The people I find most interesting aren't angry about the world, don't generalise, and see hope rather than negativity.
Kiwong is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
StandingJelly's Avatar
Intermediate User
 

To the point:

I wish you considered our if not my feelings before you post about people being boring before you start your rant in these forums.
But I still like to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention.

I somewhat understand how you feel though, because I feel I can't keep up (sync out) with small talk people makes about people and things, and rather more interested into deeper more meaningful ideas as conversation that gets us or other people somewhere.
StandingJelly is offline  
Old 02-19-2011
Pookah's Avatar
Elite User
 

The at work and smalltalk stuff I can agree with. Its why I now ignore coworkers in favor of reading on my kindle at breaks. Instead of letting my mind atrophy whilst listening to the same thing day in and day out I can at least say I am getting something of value in those short periods of time when I am not doing the actual job. (Wish I could read during work too.)
Pookah is offline  
Post Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Mobile Version
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:38 AM.