Advice for stopping an anxiety attack before a presentation?

Emma03

Just wondering if anybody has some techniques for calming down before a presentation? I'm usually okay until a few minutes before I have to present...and then I feel like I am going to pass out. I can feel my heart racing and this complete panic takes over...like I will not be able to say a word and need to run out the room. Once I start talking, I feel myself get red and I either sound completely monotone or my voice starts cracking. It's really embarrassing. Once I get into it, I become more comfortable and things turn out all right...but it's those first few minutes that are torture!

Deep slow breathing, slow in, slow out
Think past the start to more relaxed end and finish, hold this in your mind

coyote

remind yourself that nothing BAD will happen

you won't die

no one will laugh (out loud)

the world won't end

no one will throw rotten vegetables (hopefully)

as you know - things always turn out all right

for me - the adrenaline rush of fear helps me to focus

use the fear to guide you - it's not all bad

like walking along a dangerous cliff - it keeps you sharp

sevenroses

Also it's nice to flood your mind with positive realistic thoughts. Like know that you are in a supportive environment, a class with nice people who wont make fun of you in a bad way. Know that it's OK if people in your class think that you are shy. They would most likely accept you, respect you, and respect what you say, and not hate you. Know that you will have a great presentation. If you still think of yourself as boring just say to yourself "most people will accept it if I say something they might think as boring or if I show signs of anxiety. I can cope with disapproval. It's not that bad." If you feel that you won't be able to please the crowd, tell yourself "it's really true that you can't please all of the people all the time. It's not possible and it's not necessary." Also tell yourself "it's just not worth upsetting yourself if someone frowns on your behavior, your taste, your clothes, your sense of humour, you're never going to please everyone. So you might as well just focus on pleasing yourself." Just keep flooding your mind with all of these realistic thoughts.

Emma03

Great ideas -- thank you! I have been told to try to accept feeling afraid of the situation and work through it, instead of pretending that the fear isn't there.

coyote

Great ideas -- thank you! I have been told to try to accept feeling afraid of the situation and work through it, instead of pretending that the fear isn't there.

true - fear is there for a reason - it's instinctual

our modern minds just don't know how to handle it and blow it all out of proportion

we just have to recognize the fear and put it into proper context

instead of freaking out as if we're being attacked by a hungry tiger

(which rarely happens anymore)