Advice....

JWH

It depends, I posted a thread a few days ago on this. I've been to several doctors who couldn't couldn't care less/couldn't cope with the problem but then I went to one doctor who immediately wanted to put me on Effexor. I'm still tossing up whether or not I want to go back or not. There's a uni course I need to get through yet which will most likely involve plenty of field trips. Sheer hell for me... Anyway, if you don't go to a doctor another approach is to incorporate change into your lifestyle.

Crimefish

I have two separate opinions about this.
1) If you treat the SA, the depression will lift.
2) You won't be motivated to try hard to treat SA if you're depressed.
Pick one. Or just ask your doctor to refer you to a mental health professional.

Anonymous

For me I had the SA first and beleive I developed depression as a result.When you go to your GP,make sure you tell him/her that your sure that you have SA and are feeling down (or have poor self esteem) as a result.This way he/she should not simply give you meds and send you on your way,although meds can be good at getting you to a point where therapy will be more effective.You should explore all treatment options with your GP,as SA is something that will not simply go away with meds alone.It can only be treated properly with therapy,and CBT would seem to be the best option for anxiety,as it works to help you think and behave more rationally,rather than negatively as we would be inclined to think in nearly all situations due to SA.CBT doesn't work overnight,but think about it,it's not too hard to spend a little time each day on it for a number of months,as most of us are sitting around doing nothing in our spare time anyway.I think the support group is a great idea,as you will meet like minded people.btw I debated with myslf also over whether it waranted seeking treatment,but in the end I went ahead and paid my GP a visit.It was my best move to date,he gave me meds and has made an appointment for CBT.If something is bothering you then yes it is serious enough for you to seek help and advice.

GettingThere

What came first the chicken or the egg? I was thinking about the SA and depression thing myself just today. Depression really aggravates SA because the negative thinking caused by depression. Then, because you handle the SA worse then before, you become more depressed and so on. Its a snowball which you can't afford to let get out of control.
There are some really good anti-depressant medications now days. Some have benefits in relation to treating the symptoms of phobia as well. Personally, i take AROPAX (Paroxetine) and this is prescribed for both depression and SA, thus killing two birds with one stone.
Its a shame that you live on the west coast of oz as there is quite a program for SA run in brisbane by - i think - a psychologist who once suffered badly from SA herself. There are links to SA groups in Australia which can be found through www.socialphobia.org If you can't find what you want then i think that you could track it down via an email or two.

Shadow

If you feel that you need help then you probably do. There's no shame in asking for help.

If you find a good GP you don't really have to say much at all. Just tell him/her that you think you suffer from depression and social anxiety and would like to get help. He/she will then ask you a few basic questions which you should answer as honestly as possible.

I think you should defiently go on medication. I been using Efexor for nearly three months now and it's been a huge help for me. One of the people I'm seeing (a psychiatrist nurse with 15 years experience) says Efexor is the best drug for dealing with depression and anxiety. But other health care professionals have their own oppinions about what they think is best. Ask the GP about Efexor and see what they think.