afraid of introductions

Anonymous

I have visited this site so many times but just couldnt get myself to share my problems with you all. I have SP and i dwell about the unknowns that happens at the work place, mainly meetings. I get panic attacks just thinking about introducing myself in a group situation. I try to avoid meetings at all cost but when i cant i would go to the meetings late on purpose so i would get to introduce myself without waiting for other ppls introductions. I do ok in situations like that but when i have to wait for my turn, thats when i get really bad panic attacks. My heart starts pounding and i have a really hard to breathing. My mind just goes blank and i feel so worthless. Some of my co-workers saw that and i am sure they must have thought i was crazy or stupid. Anyways i lost my job about a year ago and now my phobia has gotten worse. I got offers from other companies right away but i said no to them because i was afraid i would make a fool of myself in the group interview. I constantly worry about whats going to happen to me without a job and now that all my savings are almost gone my situation has gotten worse. Other then this particular problem i can be a very out going person. I go to clubs and parties and seem very out going. I can talk to anybody and everybody. Talking to girls is not a problem and i get hundreds of dates. I hope and wish i can get over my fear of talking in group situations and introductions because its killing me inside for not being normal........please help.

arlequin

For me is also very hard as fas as introductions is corcerned. Maybe it's because I think the other person/s is/are judging me during this moment. Before and during it I have the same symptoms you have.
If I were you I tried to go to all the interviews. It does't matter if you think you'd make a fool of yoursef. You have to run the risk. The worst thing that can happen is that you don't get the job, but you can try in other places again. I suppose there must be therapies for that.

Anonymous

Your SP it's very specific, I guess the only way to overcome it it's not thikning and just doing it.

Orlando

Hi, Sai!

Welcome to the site. I get frightened too on job interviews. They aren't much fun (I don't thing for anyone either.). However, it seems for you that you just need to get over the first few minutes of the initial contact and then you feel more comfortable. (I don't like comparing but I am fearful when I approach people, when I'm talking to them, when I say my good-byes, and when I am home sitting on my couch thinking if those people like me or hated me.) You sound like a very outgoing person.

Good luck to you in your job hunt. (Use that charm that you have in the dance clubs! :) )

Anonymous

Guys thanks for your kind replies. I did manage to go on an interview. I managed to keep myself calm when i entered but right before the interview started i got that rapid heart beat and i think my face turned red also but as soon as i started talking i calmed down. That interview went well from my point of view and this morning i called and talked to the manager there and he told me he will call me back and let me know where i stand as far as getting hired. I am actually not to fond of doing that job but at this point in my life i would take anything for right now. Anyways i hope i get over this phobia quick so i could get a real job........thanks again ppl.

arlequin

Congratulations for the interview. Good luck, I hope you get the job! Though you are not fond of this job you can change in the future.