Agroraphobic?

Danfalc

Banned
Maybe i should of posted this question in the Agroraphobia secion but oh well.Okay im 100% sure that i have social phobia i have no doubts about that, but im starting to worry that i might me agororphobic aswell,I have serious problems with just being outside of my flat.Does anyone know maybe the key signs about being agoraphobic and how i can tell if its my sp or agororphobia?

Crimefish

When I first suspected there was something wrong with me, I didn't know about SA, so I looked up agoraphobia (and found links to info about SA). And when I was finally diagnosed, surprise surprise, I really do have agoraphobia as well as SA.
So it wouldn't be surprising if you had it.
The literal translation means "fear of the market place" meaning not just open spaces, but crowds and places where escape could be difficult/embarrassing.

Danfalc

Banned
Mcshy? im not looking for points,its not like i want to have more shit to deal with aswell.And yes it is another phobia to deal with.As if i do have it, well it means im gonna have to tackle just being outside before i start to tackle my social problems.

Thanks for the reply Crimefish,im gonna have a look for some links, reckong you could post a link if you know of any decent sites, id appreciate it

esp

I think agoraphobia can be more like fear of going out at all. Rather than fear of going out because others might see you like in social phobia. And agoraphobia might come with having a panic attack in a public place and then you avoid it because you are afraid of having a panic attack. Rather than in social phobia panicking because other people are watching you or whatever.

Danfalc

Banned
esp said:
I think agoraphobia can be more like fear of going out at all. Rather than fear of going out because others might see you like in social phobia.

Yeah thats why i think i might have it, I mean i use to put it down to my sp, But ive realised even if its quite out and no one is around im still nervous,And it kicks in as sonn as i set foot outside :(

Danfalc

Banned
Nah im not nervous because i might bump into someone or somthing like that,its just an intense fear i have when im outside, i mean even if i was in the middle of nowhere and there wasnt another human bieng for miles round, i would still be nervous and on edge :(

esp

Well, I guess it doesn't matter what you call it anyway, social phobia, agoraphobia, its all anxiety and all caused by the same sort of irrational thoughts.

Danfalc

Banned
Yeah your right esp, there probaly linked together somehow in my case, but still means ive got somthing else to overcome before i can work on the sp side of things :(

esp

Yeah, I suppose you need to get over getting outside at all if you want to meet people. But maybe as you work on one the other will get better because its learning to challenge your thoughts for either thing. :)

Danfalc

Banned
Your right again esp :wink:

I guess if i learn the techniques for one, they can be applied to the other side of the problem aswell.Thats a posative way to look at i guess so thanks :)

Ensamniak

Agoraphobia is how I discovered my problems were caused by social anxieties. Because I knew I was agoraphobic but all definitions of it had it's cause as panic attacks. Well I don't have panic attacks per se, so it was confusing me as to why I had agoraphobia. Until I found a site which listed SA/SP as an another cause of agoraphobia. So now I can see the connection.

And it further explained that people with agoraphobia due to panic attacks are often very social people and enjoy the company of others, and may have company over often, which is not so for SA.

Maybe it would help to not think of agoraphobia as another condition or disorder to label yourself with, but simply as a result or by-product of SA.