am i socially phobic?

sealgair

hi i,m a newbie and not done anything like this b4, so please make allowences. i do n,t avoid social interaction with ppl but i find that even going to a shop i,m very self-concious, and worried about what ppl think about me. i also find that i take any form of critisism of rejection very personally and i become upset and bitter about it. this is completely illogical since i,m a good person, i never lie and i,m very kind to ppl but i get theses terrible feelings of dread meeting ppl, do i have this social phobia disorder, i would apppreciate any feed back, cheers.

Anonymous

:) Sounds like it to me, and it is yucky if ya are, but in my opnion, this place has made it bearable. I've just realized where lots of my problem lies and that's in my ocd so im on sortof a high right now cause it's so weard to find ourselves (others like us) right here. I was scared to death to write so be proud of yourself for writen, and please forgive any "off" responses you may get cause ya got to remember, that most of the posts you recieve will be from other phob's, who want to help, but thers some that are hurting so much they cant see a way out, or even a way to live with this, that they can be harsh. So dont leave just cause of that. Good luck, and speak your mind...:)

It does sound like you do have Social Phobia to an extent, but don't worry about it. Many of the symptoms you describe suggest this, because they are what most people here experience as a result of Social Phobia.

I admire the fact that you don't avoid social situations. That can only be a step in the right direction. Just try and find advice around here, and you should be fine. :wink:

hansy

new to this

hi,.

im new to this also, only joined today.
my situation seems very similar to all of you. i find even the most normal day to day activities a struggle, ie: shopping, going to work, talking etc...
my problem is i become very nervous and embarrassed when faced with a situation where i know i will have to talk to someone, or even just sitting in on a meeting. i become very red in the face, :oops: get the shakes and break into a sweat etc. i have been struggling with this for a good few years now and have tried a few medications but the only way i can seem to prevent the physical effects is alcohol. it realy is the worst thing to turn to, as now i feel i have become dependant on the alcohol to get by.

i dont realy know what i will gain from this but its nice just to know im not the only one.

hansy