Any advice for a lonely girl?

bluesky

Much of my youth was spent living with depression, feeling isolated and struggling with anxiety. I'm in my late 20s now and while I feel I have made a lot of progress over time I think I've developed a destructive way of thinking that is very hard to shake away. Particularly when it comes to relationships.

Romantically I've never been involved with anyone. Perhaps it was a confidence thing or perhaps it was out of fear. Maybe even a little of both. At times I feel discouraged since the entire dating scenario seems awkward. Especially now that I am a bit older but still haven't had any experience romantically. People tell me not to worry, that I will meet someone when I least expect it, but I often doubt these people would take into consideration meeting a person is much more difficult for someone struggling with severe anxiety. Opportunities may arise but how to take advantage of them when you already have so many doubts about yourself?

I've tried counselling on and off for years and have been doing it on a steady basis for the past four years or so. And while I have improved and feel more comfortable around other people I still don't think it's helped in regards to being able to establish a romantic relationship with someone. I still feel doubtful and insecure. Another issue would be the discomfort I have on the idea of being used by men.

It's not like I haven't tried. For awhile I experimented with online dating sites to no avail. Either my inbox would get bombarded by cheesy one-liners by people looking for one thing or the people I've contacted would not respond. I've tried clubbing and quickly established it just isn't the place for me or the place to meet a guy who's interesting in a relationship as opposed to a one-night stand. At the moment I don't have any friends I can go out with and I feel it limits me in terms of meeting other people. I've tried groups on meetup.com and even speed dating. People tell me I need to expose myself but there is only so much I can do with a limited social network.

These days I don't have the energy to try anymore. My depression is beginning to kick in and I don't have anyone I feel comfortable confiding in aside from a therapist. I just feel so isolated from the world and I'm beginning to think perhaps some people were meant to be alone. My therapist says its all within my power to change and I just feel even more discouraged. What more can I do given my limitations?

Harleyq

Sounds like you've just been mostly out on the dating scene but your issue's a lot bigger. Instead of going on date-hunts where you're going to either find shallow people, or people specifically looking for a set standard which you may or may not fit into, maybe you can try a more generalized approach. Maybe do some volunteer work so you can interact with people who have no expectations other than you being a good worker. There's bound to be single people volunteering.

That way, if you do find people to interact with, they'll think "wow, what a nice girl. I like her" instead of "oh...close, but no cigar. I want to meet someone who enjoys rock climbing. Oh well. Bye!"

And if nothing else, you've been productive and it's something you can add to a resume.

Last edited:

Nicholas

I'm 25 and I'm in the same situation, but I think it's harder for guys to accept it. I think you can easily find a guy who will not be shocked about your situation, because you are a girl. The situation is more complex for guys: they are expected to be self confident, with experience, they are not expected to be virgins after 20.

I don't want to try those dating websites, it would be useless. I know no one would ever want me the way I am now, so I need to change, improve myself. Once I feel I'm less of a loser, I can think of finding a girl. But dating websites are not a good idea at all in any case: everyone there is desperately looking for someone else, the expectations are either too high or too low, so the chances of finding a real good partner are almost negligible. I think the best way to find someone would be to find friends, and then if some friend is starting to become more than a friend, something might happen. I know it's hard though, and I have no idea how to do this, but I'm in the same situation and I'll soon think of a solution.

aboobooboobooo

I'm 25 and I'm in the same situation, but I think it's harder for guys to accept it. I think you can easily find a guy who will not be shocked about your situation, because you are a girl. The situation is more complex for guys: they are expected to be self confident, with experience, they are not expected to be virgins after 20.

I don't want to try those dating websites, it would be useless. I know no one would ever want me the way I am now, so I need to change, improve myself. Once I feel I'm less of a loser, I can think of finding a girl. But dating websites are not a good idea at all in any case: everyone there is desperately looking for someone else, the expectations are either too high or too low, so the chances of finding a real good partner are almost negligible. I think the best way to find someone would be to find friends, and then if some friend is starting to become more than a friend, something might happen. I know it's hard though, and I have no idea how to do this, but I'm in the same situation and I'll soon think of a solution.

Took the words right out of my mouth

Welcome to the SPW. I am pretty new here also, I post way to much however :)
Their are many people here that can help you and are understanding.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Have you tried approaching the more shy guys? Those can be the nicest.

Oh, and welcome to the site! :)

bluesky

Thanks for the welcome...:)

Volunteering sounds like a good idea. Actually I considered it quite awhile ago but I wanted to try other things first. It seems like a good option now though.

As for meeting people through friends I considered that too. But since I don't know anyone at the moment it's obviously not going to work. Although I am in the process of getting to know a few people friends-wise. I guess we'll see where it goes.

About things being easier because I'm a girl...I don't believe in that especially as I know it isn't true for me considering my position. This situation has been anything but easy. Although I'm tired of arguing the point and I don't have the energy to do so on this forum as it seems to be a common belief. I'd just like to get advice or help...

Last edited:

iamthenra

Count your blessings, you're going out on dates and you are not old... That's more than I can say, and I am 41.... No romance for me, guess I'm one of the lucky ones... :confused:

talisman

Welcome. I'm in a similar situation so I have no solutions I'm afraid. IMO dating sites are quite useless...they're full of confident experienced people for the most part who wouldn't be interested in many of us. I guess putting yourself out there and having a lucky day is the only solution, as crap as it sounds.

Tiercel

Late 20s, no romantic experience and no real way to meet potential prospects, and a history of anxiety and depression.

Oh, you, too? :D

Volunteering is a good way to meet people with similar interests. Like animals? Try a shelter or rehab center. Like recovering single men? Try a shelter or rehab center. Just kidding on that last one....

Doing something to improve yourself can help, too. I'm lazy as hell, but I've noticed that if I actually exercise regularly I actually change a bit. I stand up straighter, notice an increase in confidence, and I'm actually a bit happier, too. I still have zero experience in the romance department, but there are tons of other things I've never done. I've never played the tuba, but who cares? Maybe someday I'll meet a nice tuba player. Until then, I'll just do other things I enjoy.

About the doubt and insecurities, please realize that you are a woman. And to many single (and straight) guys, there's nothing more beautiful, powerful, and frightening than a woman. Although we like to think of ourselves as superior, women always seem able to get whatever they want from us. So if you want a guy to only use you for sex, you need only allow it. If not, keep it from him and he'll move on.

And it's completely within your power to change! Just start small and build up your confidence. With most things in life, it's not the physical barriers that hold us back but the ones in our own minds. So find motivation where you can, and start showing yourself that you can have a positive effect on your life.

So forget all those guys you haven't dated. And if you need to talk, a lot of us here can relate to your situation. So keep your chin up, and good luck!

:D

Is there anything I can do to help you guys? I have lots of advice I think would be beneficial but I don't want to push it. If you are interested please get in touch with me via pm.

Best Wishes.