Any advice on obtaining meds?

• Thread starter crazywithpaperstoproveit
  • Start date
C

crazywithpaperstoproveit

I was just diagnosed with OCD, ADD, and of course I have extreme anxiety issues. I am 28 years old, a female, and am relieved I am finally getting some help. I always thought that everything I dealt with mentally and felt emotionally was "normal" for me and that I could never be any different. It never occurred to me that I might have a true problem that was treatable.

I've always had ups and downs, periods where I could hold a job and be productive and emotionally stable, but at some point the stresses would add up and I'd have a nervous breakdown. It was like a cycle. Every thing was a viscious cycle - my thoughts, the things I talked about, my actions, my emotions...it was like my entire life was stuck on repeat. It was horrible.

After researching about my illnesses, I don't really feel like I have much of a personality! I feel more like I've been a walking bundle of symptoms all my life!! I was prescribed Xanax 1mg, Vyvanse 50mg, and Luvox CR 150mg. I've never liked the idea of taking drugs - I don't even take aspirin for headaches - but I was at such a low point in my life that I was desperate to try anything. I hadn't worked in almost 4 months, was running out of money, felt like I was truly going to have a psychotic break, and started even having thoughts of seriously killing myself. As a lot of you on this board can relate to, I felt like I was stuck in my own personal hell. I stopped going out in public, haven't ever really had any friends since grade school, and am not at all close to my family. I was at the lowest point I have ever been.

The first time I took a Xanax, I was absolutely floored by the results. I couldn't believe that such a small pill could have such huge results. The same with the Vyvanse - I could actually concentrate! I could read an article in a magazine without losing interest, just skimming it, or not even attempting to read it at all because it would take too much effort. The Luvox Cr hasn't completely built up in my system enough to be working at its peak, but there is a HUGE RELIEF in my obsessive thoughts and actions. I have never felt like this in my entire life. I feel good. I wake up each day now and am actually happy to be alive. It is the most amazing feeling to me, almost indescribable.

The problem I am having are the costs of the prescription drugs. Right now I am getting Luvox CR free for 4 months through the drug company, but I can't afford to pay the $150 monthly fee for it once that runs out. Same with the Vyvanse, and the Xanax. I have a really crappy health insurance plan, but it doesn't cover ANY MENTAL HEALTH treatment or ANY PRESCRIPTIONS, so I am having to do this all out of my own pocket. As it stands right now, I am going to be behind on my rent this month because the trip to the psychiatrist cost an arm and a leg.

Does anyone on this site have any information on places I can get cheaper medications? The Luvox and Vyvanse do not come in generic form as of yet; the Xanax does but it is still about $50 at Walmart. What tricks do you all have in obtaining your pills during this economic crisis? Any adivce is greatly appreciated.