backpacker around the world

kirineo

Hello, my name is Pablo and I´m 40. I live in Spain and i thougt it would be a good idea to go for a travel with other person with social phobia. i think it´s a good oportunity to share experiencies and comon feelings at the same time we can learn the other´s language, and having new experiencies that improving ourselves. One ideal way is El camino de santiago, in the norh of Spain, but there´s lots of them. The project is for the future, in a few months or maybe a year.
Is somebody interested in that idea? Sorry about my english
My mail [email protected]

mrb

Hello, my name is Pablo and I´m 40. I live in Spain and i thougt it would be a good idea to go for a travel with other person with social phobia. i think it´s a good oportunity to share experiencies and comon feelings at the same time we can learn the other´s language, and having new experiencies that improving ourselves. One ideal way is El camino de santiago, in the norh of Spain, but there´s lots of them. The project is for the future, in a few months or maybe a year.

you know what if it wasnt for my kids and my gf id really really take you up on that ;) but alas im spoken for but oh id love to do all that stuff :D iv done a lot of traveling in my time , but to travel like that hell yea :D

Luthien

Oh god I wish I could do that... I spent 7 years hitchhiking around the US and it was amazing. Unfortunately, that was one of the things that landed me here. After so many years of not having a door to close the world out or any privacy at all, I don't feel ready to give it up. I'm really enjoying owning stuff and having projects, not to mention I don't leave my house. I might consider it if I could afford to keep renting my house and still go overseas, but I barely have enough money to just pay my rent... I wish you all the luck in the world, I think it will be a wonderful journey :)

Lea

Banned

Yay camino :D. I have tried this and in the end decided, it wasn't for me, for various reasons. I thought this would be an opportunity go see Spain without having to spend too much for accomodation, as the registered pilgrims get discount on hostals along the way. That is true, but there were disadvantages. I didn't like the “having to” keep to the predestined track, get to the stops along the way in adequate time, not having to “cheat”, for example by accepting car lifts etc. Besides, imagine you walk in the mountains or wherever and you want to make a little break, sit down or eat something, enjoy the tranquility and peaceful nature, but you can't because loads of other pilgrims are passing by. And they do, all the time although I went in april in the hope it wouldn't be so busy. Altogether, it's more like competition and hard work at strict rules than something romantic. This camino started in France in Saint Jean Pied du Port and I quit somewhere before Pamplona, also because how I realized, northern Spain gets heavy downpours most of the time. Why walk like and idiot in heavy rain and not being allowed to even get a lift? Am I a slave? Whom for, what for? So I proceeded by bus towards the south and was glad I did because it was really beautiful. Not saying the idea of walking pilgrimage was bad, but if I should ever do it again, I would go alone as without freedom the traveling isn't fun.

FOR REAL

Banned
I spent 7 years hitchhiking around the US and it was amazing.

what was that like?, you should make a thread about your experiences cause im pretty sure most people on here would love to know about it:)

@everyone else thats posted, good luck with that :)

Luthien

what was that like?, you should make a thread about your experiences cause im pretty sure most people on here would love to know about it:)

@everyone else thats posted, good luck with that :)

I don't know, it would probably take years to tell all the stories I have... And you know what's funny? I've done so much and been all over, but it makes me sad when I think about it cause I feel like that whole time I wasn't really living. I've always been so insecure and trying to please everyone and so nervous about doing or saying the wrong thing that all these years of what should have been fun and excitement were a bit more like work.

The best was when I bought a truck and lived in it all alone. I drove all across the country, just me and my dog. It was such an amazing trip, after so many years of counting on others to drive me, to be alone and to be able to go where ever I wanted whenever I wanted was so liberating!

One thing that was nice about hitchhiking, it renewed my faith in humanity. People were so sweet and wonderful to me. I can't even count how many times people gave me money or trusted me to sit in the car with their kids or took me home with them and fed me and gave me a warm place to sleep. There are definitely creeps out there, but trusting my intuition and having a big scary looking pit bull kept them away.

EscapeArtist

Man Luthien, you make me jealous! And you bring up a good point, when you said that it felt more along the lines of work because of your instinct to please others...
I plan to travel for as long as it takes to get the travel bug out of me, either on foot or on a bike, last resort a car (i'm scared of gas prices). Hopefully after all that travel I'll be happy living out of a car or trailer. I always fear that living in an apartment or house that is "Mine" will up my standards, and make me unhappy with the wandering life or living off of only my needs.

Luthien

I know what you mean, but it hasn't really changed me.. well maybe a little. But it's not a bad change, more like a growing change. I still live with pretty low standards! My house is sort of a little cabin. It has a woodstove as the sole source of heat and propane cook stove. The bathroom is practically outside (my boyfriend just put up walls around it a couple months ago but it's still like Svalbard in there) our water heater is only 25 gallons so showers are quick and baths involve boiling water on the stove. We have no toilet, just an outhouse. I like it this way. I mean, I wouldn't mind having a bigger water heater (I like to take baths) but I have no desire to have a toilet or a big fancy McMansion or anything like that. I just want a little place to sleep (our bedroom is only slightly bigger than our bed) a private place to make art and lots of land where I can grow my own food.

I still feel like I'd rather be traveling, but I know it's not a good idea. Traveling really helped me to avoid all the issues I am now facing. When I felt uncomfortable or unloved, I'd just leave. I never had to face anything and that was nice, but it only prolonged the inevitable. Now that I'm stationary, I'm gonna work out all this sh*t so next time I wanna live on the road, I'll enjoy every minute! My dream is to go to Europe and learn to be a better accordion player and do street theater :) Someday....

Oh yea, so you know what I'm going to do to satisfy my traveling bug? We're moving soon (my sister, boyfriend and I are trying to buy a house) and when we do, I'm going to get an old school bus and use that for my art room! I spent a summer traveling with a little circus and living in a school bus and it was so lovely! I really think that just living in a vehicle will make me feel closer to the vagabond in me :)

Last edited: