biting my lip..

Morgan01

I have an awful problem with biting my lip.. constantly trying to make it even.
I have done it since I was younger but sometimes I go a while without having a problem with it and then in times of stress it comes back reallllly bad.
It stops me from getting things done. I will just sit there knowing I have to do something but just think that I need to get that one part even and then I will do it.. and then I'm there for another hour. I will avoid talking to people if I am dong it. I think I have to concentrate and hurry and get it even then I'll be fine.. but I just keep finding parts to make even.
I know some people do this when they aren't thinking about it. well that's not my problem.. I can't stop thinking about it!
It causes the inside of my mouth to swell up and get sore. It causes my teeth and jaw to ache. I get coldsores from touching my mouth constantly trying to move it into my teeth in the right spot. I get sores on my tongue running it over my lip so much. it makes me feel dizzy when I do it for too long. and I have heard that constant irritation in the mouth can cause oral cancer! not to mention it keeps me from doing the things I need and/or want to do.
I don't know what to do I have tried so many things.. I have tried to not think about it, I have put tissues in my mouth to keep me from doing it and I just chew up the tissue or bite around it. I try to apply chapstick over and over. Tried chewing gum all the time doesn't work I'll still do it with the gum. I've tried lollipops.. and even putting lemon juice on my lip throughout the day so it hurts a lot if a bite it but I either just keep doing it despite the pain or lick my lips until it wears off thinking I'll just bite it a little more and fix it.

ahhhhhh!

Sloth

Hi, I used to do this all around the inside of my mouth. Like you say, it was a kind of stress relief for me, I would do it to avoid doing things I wasn't looking forward to. But I would forget about it if kept busy. The thing you say about 'keeping it even', I can relate to that exactly.

That was the problem. If I managed to go a few days without doing it, it would heal back uneven and I would try to even it out again. I just couldn't handle the feeling of having the surface uneven. I wanted to quit but it must have gone on for about 8 years.

Then at the end of last year I noticed it had healed back perfectly even. I couldn't believe it. My determination to stop was that I didn't want to ruin it and get caught up in a never ending habit again.

My advice is to just fight it, try to keep your mind off it. One day it should heal back good and you'll be happy.

Last edited:

Morgan01

I feel like whenever it starts to heal.. I run my tongue over it over and over just searching for some imperfection.
It is easier if I am busy with other things.. but if I TRY to not think about it I think about it more.
: (
thanks for sharing, knowing that you got through it and have stopped gives me some hope. I wont give up!

SammyT

My lips are currently screwed! Been biting them alot this past week, I hate it cause it looks like i'm wearing lipstick, not to mention they feel nasty as hell and sore.

Morgan01

me too. I was doing pretty good for like a week or so.. and now I have been doing it sooo much this week, and my whole mouth is really sore.. but I just can't stop. ugh I hate it too