Caffeine - Friend or Foe?

GettingThere

I used to read a lot of Psychiatrist's reports as a part of my job and in almost all of them the Doctor would report on the individual's caffeine intake. This would make one wonder just how much the stuff affects us.

Personally, I would struggle to get by without my morning coffee and lunchtime coke, mainly because my sleeps a bit ordinary at present and I feel tired. But its a fine balance because I think that too much makes me a bit wired and that makes my SP worse.

Anonymous

Definetely foe if taken in a daily basis, let's say 2-3 cups a day in the long term use. Leads to withdrawal symptoms similar to very mild speed. (irritability, loss of concentration, nervoussnes) the addict of caffeine denys the powerful effects just as the addict of nicotine does with cigars. Caffeinne overdose leads to migraine (headache) in my experience. I'd rather drink coffee if im in company. but that's me i am in the dowers side.
I have noticed caffeine somewhat acts as a depressant but thats only in the daily user. good at short term, foe at long term. :?:

Yossarian

I feel I need at least two coffees before my brain starts to function. I've cut down quite alot but I usually have at least two in the morning. So it is definately a friend to me. It might just be the time it takes to drink them though lol. As when I'm coffeeless I do ok. But coffee is definately part of my morning ritual...that and roll ups. Tut tut.

Dedication

I just gave up caffinated coffee a few weeks ago (I'm strictly a decaf person now). I used to drink 1-2 litres of high-octane coffee a day but the transition to decaf was easier than I imagined. I did get tired...and I felt like I had a concussion most of the time...but all in all it went okay. I do feel a difference...I seem calmer...although this might be psychosomatic. I quit drinking alcohol three months ago and I quit smoking a year ago so I figued why not give up caffine, too? Needless to say my life is fairly dull.

GettingThere

You sound like you are really putting in an effort Dedication, good job.

Chilling__Echo said:
maybe i'm just crazy but i've never felt any different with or without caffine. what kind of job did you do?

When I was employed in our state public service, I used to summarise workers' compensation claims for medical boards, it was interesting work.

Chilling__Echo

i would give alot to be able to shuffle through just one psychologist's stack of records. maybe that's part of why i'm majoring in psychology :roll: :wink:

Anonymous

Yeah, green tea, less caffiene, and somehow I look more sophisticated. The office coffee machine used to produce coffee with a head on it (?) - that can't be good. I'd drink it anyway. (3-4) cups/ day, bilateral, jackhammer, temple to teeth pounding, incredible. Went to that jasmine, lemon, green leaf tea and now I just don't like how my coffee (tea) cup smells like a head shop or car air freshener.

Anonymous

I have a weak nervous system as well as SP. I have a very light tremor most of the time, I'm 25 and I feel like a geriatric. I used to drink Coffee everyday but I noticed I became extremely irritable if I missed a dose. Also began to shake pretty hard if I had more than one cup. The worst effect though was on my startle reaction. I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and I jump and squeak easily anyway. With caffiene I outright scream when even slightly startled. I will say that I use caffeine as a social tool. If I can get the right mix of caffeine and alcohol, I'm up enough to be social and soothed enough to handle a small crowd.