CBT , Dr. Richards audio tapes or both?

Anonymous

Hi , I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the following.I have gone to my doctor and told him that I suspect that I have SA.He refered me to a CBT and I'm on his waiting list (hopefully not too long).I have heard some great things about Dr. Richards audio tapes and workbook using CBT techniques.
I am considering getting these tapes,but I'm not sure if I should get them before I start CBT.I guess the advice I'm seeking is whether I should do either CBT or Dr. Richards tapes,or both together (if one doesn't get in the way of the other).I mean I don't have any hangups about going to see a therapist.

Does anyone have any experince with this and what would your advice be?

-Jp

Dr.Richards his tapes offer a very good foundation for the cognitive part of CBT (the thinking part), i do not speak out of experience but i think you can count yourself lucky if your CBT group will be able to grant you as much insight as the Dr.Richards therapy will be able to. i am half way trough the therapy now and my CBT therapy starts next week so there will probably be some overlap but that does not matter, it is only good to reinforce it and you will have a good headstart.

So i reccomend you get it before the therapy starts.

Anonymous

thanks PJ , I will order the audio tapes and see wot hapens in the therapy,I guess I can't go too far wrong,as CBT seems to be the answer to most of our problems.

That is of course someone out there has a better cure (I use that word carefully as there are lots of therapys that claim t o help,but I ain't come accross one that has a sound foundation as CBT has).

I will give it my best shot in the next few weeks,but while I'm waiting for personal CBT (Irish heath system) I think I will start Dr. Richards audio tapes.

Anonymous

decided to go ahead and order the tapes.will keep you posted on my thoughts on them.anyone else use/used them,I would be interested in hearing your stories. :)