Changing might change my personality

Nice2MeetU

I was just wondering if anyone else is putting off treatment for SP/SA coz they're scared their personality may change for the worse. With me I'm very worried that I won't care about other people anymore in certain ways. You see I think having SP has actually made me extremely aware of other people's feelings, stuff like noticing whether other people feel uncomfortable and trying to include them or remedy a situation because of it... But I'm scared if I seek treatment this part of me will be lost coz I'll probably have to adopt a more "I don't give a stuff what other people think of me" attitude, so will stop caring about other people's feelings at the same time. It's kind of like if I lose my sensitivity to certain things, I'll in turn lose a part of me that cares about others...I dunno. What do other people think?

redlady

Hello there - i don't think the empathetic part of yourself has to be abolished in order for you to improve your own situation. Besides there's nothing better or more confident about those 'I don't give a stuff' types anyway - they are normally people who don't really like themselves but have a different more obnoxious way of handling it. You seem like a very sensitive person and the fact that this is something you are worried about just confirms it. I am sure your sensitivity will not be compromised if you seek treatment - remember you have to do what is right for you as well.

Toad

I agree with you about this...this is one reason I haven't really let it be know that I have a problem...well that and I'm scared shitless to do it as well. There are some things about me that I don't want to change like my constant strive for perfection...but others like constantly analyzing situations after theyre over i would be glad to do away with.

jesuschristschild

Nice2MeetU said:
I was just wondering if anyone else is putting off treatment for SP/SA coz they're scared their personality may change for the worse. With me I'm very worried that I won't care about other people anymore in certain ways. You see I think having SP has actually made me extremely aware of other people's feelings, stuff like noticing whether other people feel uncomfortable and trying to include them or remedy a situation because of it... But I'm scared if I seek treatment this part of me will be lost coz I'll probably have to adopt a more "I don't give a stuff what other people think of me" attitude, so will stop caring about other people's feelings at the same time. It's kind of like if I lose my sensitivity to certain things, I'll in turn lose a part of me that cares about others...I dunno. What do other people think?

dont have that attitude if you have to, it will only dig you deeper......insteada developing that attitude, just humble yourself as much as you can, to seriously not care what people think of you is to let it all show, is to shake in front of them, is to look dumb in front of them, and to care for them at the same time, because hate came first from something they thought about you, or you thought they thought about you

amen?

PRAISE GOD!!

ginguitar

I was worried about exactly for exactly the same reason too. I also have manic depression and it I seemed to be characterised and loved at work for my mad manic highs. I felt that loosing the highs (as well as the lows) would be like the death of my personality. I left my job while I got through the mental illness, so the issue was taken away for the time being, but I am about to move and start a new job and I don't know when to stop them. There's a lot of bad press about SSRI drugs at the moment and they don't seem to be helping, just making me tired and even giving me suicidal thoughts!!!

2QuietForThem

I never thought of this before. You've really given me something to think about. What if I get treatment for SP, but I end up changing myself? I can't do it. I may not have any friends now and I think everyone is watching me when I walk in malls, but I'm an excellent parent and not a problem to anyone. I'll have to stick with who I am and try to accept my SP without getting depressed about it.

ginguitar

Its deffinately worth trying something like chlorpromazine for SP. You don't have to take it all the time either, just before doing stuff that makes you anxious. You might find it easy to talk to people when you are relaxed by medication and your personality will always be there, just dulled down a bit while your on the drugs. Just don't rule it out out, cos it could really help you

thats one of my biggest fears...many people i know who have taken any type of medicine whether it be for SA or depression have always said they had to change medicines or stop taking it because they were not the same person...i want help i personally dont want to change who i am as a person....

4myself

I would be hesitant to take medication too. Hopefully sp can be overcome without meds, that way I think we wont lose the good parts of our personalities, just the sp.