Child with OCD-like symptoms

bell_bell

For the last year, our 4-year-old son has had a symptom where he constantly asks questions over and over again. It started last July when he was 3 and we had a boating fire where he was slightly burned. For months, he would ask every few minutes whether or not something was going to burn. We assumed it was post-traumatic stress disorder and that it would go away.

It did go away in the sense that he stopped talking about fires, but recently it's gotten much worse. It usually goes something like this:

Can I watch a show?
Yes, after you finish your lunch.
Can I watch a show after I finish lunch?
Yes.
After I finish lunch, then can I watch a show?
Yes.
I'll eat my lunch, then can I watch a show?
and so on.

This is going on all day long. We're going to take him to see a doctor in a week or so, but I'm curious as to how likely this is OCD and if others have seen similar interactions.

thanx.

bell_bell

True, but...

Yes, it does sound like a 4-year-old (I've had several). But, this is way beyond normal. It really is all day long and he gets very upset if you don't answer his question or particularly if you interrupt him. If you do that, he has to start over at the beginning every time. We'll go on for an hour over the same question.

abcinsomniac

My friend's son was DXed with OCD last fall at age 6. He does similar things and says things in a pattern:

Can I have a drink?

I mean I think I want a drink?

Do I want a drink?