choice of jobs/careers

roz

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to throw out a question regarding how your hyperhidrosis has impacted your choice of jobs and careers?

How many of you out there feel good and satified about the choice of careers and jobs you've chosen inspite of hyperhidrosis.

I suffer from hypehidrosis of the palms, soles and armpit, which like most of you have been impacted tremedously especially with self-concept, self-esteem, self image.

Anyone venture in the healthcare fields, i.e. doctor, nursing, physical therapist?

How do you cope in the working world?

bill-uk

Roz,

thats a very good question.

I work in an office based environment mainly with lots of meetings and presentations etc. For the most part its ok, often air conditioned rooms but not always and many times I have cringed to the point of wanting the ground to swallow me up. I have also avoided many situations when I can do so, like all of us with this condition I'm sure. I sometimes wonder how far I could go in life if I was 'normal' because in the winter I'm incredibly more productive than in Summer.

Sitting in a meeting with people asking if it is raining outside on a hot and sunny day just aint no fun when your hair is wet and you have drips coming down your face and neck. It sort of distracts you from the case in point. Same as standing in a pub having a lunchtime drink but you have to excuse yourself so that you can put your wrists under cold water to try and cool yourself down.

I've often wondered about changing careers, particularly recently. But any manual work or even healthcare dealing with people would be nightmare. Who wants to be dripped on!

I guess working in a refridgerated room would be ideal but I haven't seen many jobs like this ......

As I write this, I have to laugh 'cos in a way it's funny and I seriously need a good laugh at the moment .... :D

By the way, how do you cope in the USA, I can barely cope in the UK?

roz

Hey Bill,

I appreciate your reply. I like yourself find myself more self conscious in the summer months but in California the temperature can reach in the 90's all year round.

I have been trying to figure out what kind of profession would suite me inspite of my hyperhidrosis. It has taken me many years of contemplation but I am currently trying to push myself to continue with nursing school but I find I get too self-conscious about my own condition that I am unable to devote more of my concerns regarding my patients health. I find it very difficult to be able to do my assessments even with gloves on. What a task just to put on the gloves.

It would be great to hear about how all others cope with their hyperhidrosis in the work area. Are there any in high profile professions?

bill-uk

Roz,

In a way, its funny how we we are similar but then again different.

You have a problem with your hands, soles and armpits, I have a problem with facial sweating!

My feet, armpits and hands are pretty dry most of the time but my face sweats profusely in times of heat or excertion.

I have been employed for 28 years continuously and I'm 45 years of age with this condition so take heart in that.

I hope you take the course in life that suits you and your future career ....

roz

Thanks for the advice I truly appreciate it. It's great to hear you have liked/loved your job enough for 28 years to stick to it that long. I'm still seeking out what my passion is and I'm not sure if its nursing but I've decided to try and stick it out through my second quarter courses in nursing school. I get fill with much anxiety during clinicals but am learning of ways to adjust. I'm interested in how far I can push myself and not quit right away.

fatelhope

every job i have had did not last very long because of the amount of frustration caused by HH. as of right now i am not working and hardly leave my house except to go to places that are safe. i.e my girlfriends or certain friends where i don't sweat as much.

roz

Fatelhope,

It seems as if you have not allowed hyperhidrosis to defeat you in other aspects of life other than career or work, you have a girlfriend to share your worries and concerns. I have not allowed myself to feel as vurnerable to share that aspect of me yet with anyone because I fear not to be accepted and ridiculed, so I really need to work on this. I hope you make further attempts and see what work will suit you.

fatelhope

yeah people do know about it but that is a very recent developement. it only took 10 years for me to actually tell them, family and friends, and it turned out to be a very good thing. my closest friends (4 to be exact) are supportive even if they don't understand what it actually means to have HH. with the girlfriend i told her out right because there really is no hiding it. if she didn't like it well then better to find out up front

Bluehead

Hey roz,

Just wanted to reply to your issue on choice of careers. You're going into nursing which i think is awesome. I just recently switched from pre-med...wanted to become a dermatologist...but since i have so much anxiety about the disorder i decided otherwise. I wish i could have enough courage to be able to go through the classes and touch people without being shy, but i just can't. I've have decided to be a chemistry major to avoid the touching situation all together. I figure I still may find something to help hyperhidrosis with a chem. major...

roz

Bluehead,

Thanks for your encouragement. I hope to continue to push myself to get far into my nursing courses. I do get filled with much anxiety with clinicals.

It seems most of the time we as HH sufferers are our own worst enemy in discouraging ourselves from attempting something different maybed as a result from the exaggerations in our minds of worse case scenarios of the outcome of touching people with wet hands. I can say putting on gloves is no easy tasks with clammy hands.

I posed the question about choices of job/careers to gain a better perspective of what other HH sufferers are capable of in order to inspire others to attempt more with choices about line of work and careers.

I hope to have more feedback from all who view the posting.

Best of luck with your schooling, chemisty will surely help determine better treatments for HH.

Thanks,
Roz

sadday

I don't work currently because I am in school, but I hope to be a veterinarian. My HH has ruined a lot of things in my life such as having friends, being social, etc... but I refuse to let it ruin my career. I feel that my career is all I have. Animals have been my passion for as long as I can remember and when I am around them they lower my anxiety level and make me feel better. I won't find out until April whether or not I got accepted to vet school but I am both nervous and excited about it.

I encourage all HH sufferes to try really hard to go after your dream job and don't let HH stop you.

seth

I am 26 years old and i am a student in the university. It is my last year in the school. I am in trouble while i am making presentation in class. I am studying Business Administration and i am working for 4 years. I have got my own company. I sell computer and computer parts , making services to the big firms like that. ( i am a boss :) ) I prefer being a boss because i don't like interviews while apply for a job allthough i am a talkative person. I don't like the situation which people stare at me. Your choise of job ( being nurse ) is the best choice because people generally don't care nurses because they are interested in their healths at that time and they see you as angel who try to help them. It is about the situational psychology. In 1999-2002 İ am studying biomedical engineering and i met many nurses at that time in the hospital :)