College = aaah!

martini_girl

I am seventeen and I have actually been at this new sixth form college since September. I have been a shy person for quite a long time but i'm finding it more of a struggle than ever now because i've moved from the safety net of my old, tiny school. College is big and i find some people down-right rude and scary. There are some nice people but i really struggle to make friends because i always assume that no-one will like me or think i'm rude because i lack confidence, anyone feel the same? It's now February and you'd[/i] think I'd have made some quite good friends by now. I'm so desperately lonely but i
feel it's too late as all the friendships seem to have been formed. :(

richkid

I think many people can relate to this, its diffcultmaking new friends especially if you the new person you fell alienated like everyone checking you out just waiting for you to do something they can take you down with.

My advice would be join a club or society your interested in, that way you have something in common. It might sound odd but what about acting, WHAt the FUCK this GUY on YOU may BE asking, bare with me. This will give you a chance come out your shell and express who you are no one going but you mock you for that because its what they do,they pretend to be a tree for gods sake. Your young don't waste this years enjoy them. ACT THE FOOL everyone is UNIQUE why should that be held back. Remember, for what I know now, the people you thought you wanted to be more like when you older turn out to be complete arseholes! :D

Secret_Smile

I had the same problem when I started college in September. I was away from all my old freinds and felt really lonely.
I don't know what advice I could give to help. I made the friends I did by speaking to someone who seemed friendly enough. A simple 'May I borrow your rubber?' type of thing and I built up things a little more. Say hi to them when you get into a class, sit a little closer and eventually things should hopefully set off. I did that and I made a few good friends.
Its never to late to make a friend :wink:

Best of luck. xXx

S_S

Anonymous

Hey. Im 18 and started in September at UCSC. Ever since I started my shyness/social anxiety has become quite apparent. I havent made friends and feel like im always putting up a front when Im around alot of people. Its so big I feel like Im swimming in a sea of strangers. It just isnt fun.
Julie