college

superjaded

i am a 23 year old woman who wants to register for community college. i've been thinking about it for some time, but the thought of going back to school after 7 years and being in a classroom again scares me. i left school the first time due to severe depression, and i was pretty much an outcast. i think about introducing myself to people i don't know, having to give oral reports, etc., and i'm not sure i'd be able to do it. i'm a fairly intelligent person and i know that i have to get a degree if i want to be successful, but feel paralyzed by this fear. any suggestions/ideas?

Chilling__Echo

hey there, i'm in college now, it's hard to make friends, i've even heard social butterflies say this just b/c in high school you see the same people everyday but not in college. i rarely have presentations adn when i do have then they're very short. it's not so bad. you get used to it and i was petrified in high school. give it a go, you'll be fine :wink:

Angie_05

I'm in college and I agree with everything chilling echo said. sounds like you haven't been to school since high school. College is different than high school. Most people who go to classes don't know anyone else in their classes so the atmosphere is more laid back. you can feel that everyone else is in the same situation. And you don't have to talk to people if you don't want to. Sometimes I don't, and others don't so it's not so noticeable.

young

My philosopy for schoo. Since I just finished up school. Was that these are just people you are going to see for a couple times a week. For a few hours if that. You're not going to see them any after that if you want to. So if you snub a line, or doing somethign silly. The only people that would know would be the ones in this room. And in a short amount of time, you'll never see them anymore.

nerdgirl178

Hey I am 23 and I think its great that you want to go to college :) I am a senior now hoping to graduate next summer, if all goes well. In my experience school can be hell, presentations, working in groups, etcera, but believe me its such a great experience when you look back. Besides the education part its a learning experience on yourself and what you want to do with your life. I have failed to make friends during college, but at least I will have a degree and hopefully get a job and support myself. Anyway definitely register. What will be your major? Mine is Art History. Well see ya.

Joszax

Looks like i'm too late responding, but community college for me was much more relaxed than either high school or a traditional college. The age range in classes was 18 to 50, and everyone's goals were radically different. Everyone really didn't know anyone else in most classes, so sometimes it seemed like everyone in class had SP.

young

i think about introducing myself to people i don't know, having to give oral reports, etc., and i'm not sure i'd be able to do it.

Oh and you kinda did that to by posting on this forum. That wasn't so bad was it. See it can be done. People don't give themselves all the credit that they deserve