Compulsive quietness?

Dudley

So here's one that just came to my attention last night, being extraordinarily quiet around my house. Most of the time at least two people are asleep when I'm up and around, but it drives me nuts anytime if someone slams a door, makes the floor squeak, or talks really loud in the house, anything like that.

Does this even sound like a compulsion? Does anyone else have compulsions similar to this? Do I just hate loud noise?

cea

i do.

i think it's mostly a matter of being a profoundly defensive person, defensive even in regards to your own family and also your own self.

from time to time, i try to fight this tendency of mine, cause i actually believe we all do need exterior contact to exist and whatnot.

if anything, i advise you to also fight it yourself.

Dudley

i do.

i think it's mostly a matter of being a profoundly defensive person, defensive even in regards to your own family and also your own self.

from time to time, i try to fight this tendency of mine, cause i actually believe we all do need exterior contact to exist and whatnot.

if anything, i advise you to also fight it yourself.

That could be it. I'm extremely private, even at home. Although to be fair, about 75% of the time there is someone asleep in my house.

Argamemnon

This sounds very familiar. I can't tolerate noise either, even at home. Also, I can't imagine sleeping together in the same room, let alone in the same bed with another person.

lyricalliaisons

I'm the same way & always have been. Though I don't just get frustrated, I get scared/anxious at even small noises I wasn't expecting. Even noises I was expecting bother me. There are also a lot of other things like that that really irk me.

MadCat

This sounds very familiar. I can't tolerate noise either, even at home. Also, I can't imagine sleeping together in the same room, let alone in the same bed with another person.

Yeah, I am the same way. With my ex we slept in the same bed and I simply could not go to sleep with her next to me. Not anything personal against her but I like the freedom of movement in my own bed, so I usually went to bed when she was about to get up, then she'd end up waking me up anyway *sigh*.

Sleeping in your own bed is awesome on your own, hands down.

dottie

same here. i find any noise to be disturbing. dog barking, tv too loud in other room, other peoples' music, talking, doors slamming. probably a good idea not to have kids, huh?

Argamemnon

Yeah, I am the same way. With my ex we slept in the same bed and I simply could not go to sleep with her next to me. Not anything personal against her but I like the freedom of movement in my own bed, so I usually went to bed when she was about to get up, then she'd end up waking me up anyway *sigh*.

Sleeping in your own bed is awesome on your own, hands down.
That's the reason that I no longer feel sad about being alone. I know having a relationship wouldn't make me happy. Quite the contrary. I'm not saying this to feel better about myself, it's a reality. I'm much better off being alone. The only thing that bothers me is not knowing if this is due to some metal illness. I really wonder why I'm like this, it certainly isn't my choice...

antipop621

I have a pet bunny rabbit who lives in my room, so I usually fall asleep to the sound of chewing and rustling. It dosen't bother me.

I can't stand snoring though. Other noises don't really bother me much. Except maybe gangster rap.