Could this be me too?

daffodil

Hi,
I just found that this thing exists, and I feel like I have had some kind of epiphany or something, I feel I may have this, but I'm thinking it could just be good ol social phobia.

I cant really go through a list of things i avoid in daily life, because I haven't left the house in a month to avoid the situations that get me feeling extremely .. phobic? It can go for up to two months - three or four was a bit of an exaggeration I now feel - of me not leaving the house, even to get the mail.

When I do leave it is almost always only to the local store to get something and even then I have to go with someone, who has to actually purchase the goods in order for me to avoid having to worry about what the cashier will think of me.

I have all the normal social phobia symptoms, always thinking someone is going to think badly of me, think I am a dirty pig, or even that they just wont like me. I am terrified of any kind of criticism and wont do anything in fear I am going to embarrass or humiliate myself.

I completely avoided school because of the obvious issues that arrive when you mix high-school and social phobia,only going 3 or 4 days a week at most, started refusing to go at the end of the year for 2 years, When one day, at age 15 I just stopped going, and that was that.

Whenever somebody visits the house, I go and hide in my bedroom and will not come out until they have left.

My therapy has gotten stuffed up from me avoiding too strangers who were standing in my driveway, by walking in the opposite direction up the street - turns out they were my new therapists who I had a meeting with i totally forgot about.

Could i have Avoidant Personality Disorder, or is this probably just social phobia because if one of the mates I have left actually asks me to go out somewhere I will agree to ago, alot of anxiety ensues but Ill go. I just dont get asked to go out often because I have no life.

bleach

Banned
Do you have any of these physical symptoms during anxiety?

* Racing heart or palpitations
* Blushing
* Excessive sweating
* Dry throat and mouth
* Trembling
* Muscle tension
* Trouble talking
* Nausea
* Stomach upset
* Diarrhea

:?:

If so, then you have Social Anxiety. if not then you are Avoidant.

social_phobia2008

So avoidants DON'T have these simptoms ? I guess i tottaly misunderstood the concept of Avoidance personality disorder.

correct me if i'm wrong

chris420

In a sense, avoidant personality disorder is severe social anxiety, so my guess is that those symptoms listed would probably actually the same / worse with APD.

bleach

Banned
NO. THERE ARE NO PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS FOR AVOIDANT PERSONALITY DISORDER, PERIOD. Those symptoms might co-exist with AvPD, but they are actually symptoms of an different problem (Social Anxiety Disorder).

AvPD is the clinical definition of a coward. How you became a coward is not part of the description.