Could use some advice

Video87

Sorry for the incoming wall of text, but I recently found this site and have a few questions for anybody willing to answer them.

A little about me- I'm 23 and have suffered from palmar / planter HH for probably the last 5 years or so. I'm sure I don't have to explain to anyone here how crippling it is to have limited use of your hands due to sweating all the damn time. I've come to a point in my life where I'd really rather not live than have to continue dealing with this crap and I'm sure some of you can relate on at least some level there.

I've only just started running the treatment marathon so the only thing I've really tried at this point was drysol 20% solution and all that really did was dry my hands out and marginally reduce the sweating. I've done research on ETS surgery and after all the horror stories I've read on that I decided It's not an option.

So from what I've gathered doing some searching online + through some threads on this site are the only real 2 options I have at this point are to try and order some Robinul/Avert or go the Iontophoresis route.

From what I can gather Robinul/Avert sounds like a viable option however from everything I've read it seems it'd be a stretch to get more than 2-3 years outta that before it starts becoming ineffective. As far as Ionto goes, it seems a bit crazy to spend ~800$ US on a machine that is totally up in the air as to whether it'll show any real success just seems like a risky gamble.

TLDR- Just looking for some opinions / advice on what treatments I should try next. If you think Ionto is the way to go, I'm curious what machine you'd recommend and why. TBH I can't bear the thought of going through another year like this it just doesn't feel worth it to me.

Thanks for reading and any help / advice is much appreciated! :D

hyp-hi

I tried a topical treatment for palmer HH and it didn't really work. Currently I take Glycopyrrolate (Robinul/Avert). I have been using it for about 2 years. I try to only take it when I need it. It seems to help but results can be random. Sometimes I will be dry without it and sometime I will sweat a lot even if I do take it.

I'm still trying to figure this condition out. Right now I find it to be situational, meaning it is more likely to occur in certain situations/places. Also the temperature has an effect with warmer environment (indoor included) causing a higher chance of sweating.

I too am getting frustrated with this condition. It makes life so hard. I would say give the glycopyrrolate a try. What do you have to lose.

hyperxtechie

Welcome to the forum Video!

Glycopyrrolate or (Robinul) DOES work! You just need to find the right way for it to work for you. For instance, it would only work for me on a very empty stomach. I would have to take it early in the morning and not eat anything until 2PM which I really had to starve myself. After I ate something, a few hours later, my sweating would come back. So it did work for me, however it was inconvenient.

Do you have insurance? You can also try botox on the hands! It worked for me also, but only for the first 2 months which sucked. Some people however works for 6 months or more.

margiehope

Hi Video!

I've been on Avert for -hmmm-at least 4 years with no "diminishing returns". My HH is cranio-facial, so am not up on how it would help you, but since it works on the system, it should.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and keep us updated.

Last edited:

Sprawling

You have the IONTOPHERESIS option of spending about $100 USD or so on a used DRIONIC or less than $200 buying one new and and then modifying it to accept trays. Still cheaper than spending $800+ and will work just as well... unless it does not.

HH

You should definitely try a Iontophoresis machine, don't get a drionic though as they look utter rubbish (they only treat part of your hand). I use a idromed GS 4 and its keeps my hand sweating under control. You should try every option available before going down the surgery route.

Sprawling

I agree, Drionic in itself is crappy, yet modified to accept 2 trays it will work like the expensive ones. It will give you control of how much current flows as compared to homemade where you have no control.

Video,
We all know your frustration, but don't give up. I have yet to try any meds and have just recently ordered some. However, I have purchased an expensive Ionto machine,(Fischer) had the Drionic first an too much avail no luck with it. The Fischer model seems to decrease my sweating some. I haven't figured out what exactly works best for me, frequency, maintenance schedule, how long I can stretch it. The only time that I worry about HH is in the winter because my hands peel and get chapped from the colder drier weather.

Hang in there, you're not alone.

Knickerless

Welcome to the forum. Try not to get too down, there a many people here who are experiencing exactly what you are going through and the most important thing I to try and stay positive and not give in. They will find a cure for HH in the not to distant furture and I for one am going to have one hell of a party when they do!

As for the help, I would agree with the Glyco route. I have treid all the other pills over the past few eyars and this is the best for me by far. I take it as and when I need it as I also fear that a daily dependency will fade out after a few years and to date it is the only solution which get me close to total dryness. So if I am at home for a day I will just sit hear and not move enough to start sweating (girlfriend,"do the hooovering", me, "no I will sweat" etc... it can have benefits if you have understanding people around you!). The side effects are a little irrating (I get a bad dry mouth/throat and can't touch booze on it or I just go superdry) but it does work. I think someone already mentioned for best effects you need to keep your stomach relatively empty so try and take it early in the day and stick to liquids until you cant wait any more, though I find with the use of juice, milk and even smoothies this isnt to difficult.

Good luck with it and do let us know how you get on.

Nick