Depressed Parents.

001Common-Ostrich-BINNS-IMG_49.jpg

Last edited:

Klaus

Sometimes I wander when millions of people will start to kill themselves at the same time at the streets.

Everybody is so sad and anxious. Everybody. I think the whole world is depressed.

jamie99

I was raised by my depressed mom, she was always angry too. I can definitely say i have the same traits as her. She has never sought help for this and at her age i doubt she ever will. I don't know a thing about my father, only his name.

Sad-Kitten

My mom has suffered from depression since about as long as i can remember. She takes meds for it now and is much better but she was really bad for awhile. She never got excessively angry, but did sleep pretty much all the time.

Remus

Staff member
My mother had post natal depression and apparantly used to his me as a toddler

roseycheeks

YEAH, i think it definitely has an effect. Depression is one of those things that can stem from bio/psych/social causes N that covers a persons upbringing and what they're exposed to as well as any genetic predispositions they have. it's all intertwined. Hard to know what's more responsible tho, nature or nurture..

I know i have a tendency to think negative n i can see many similar traits as my dad.. I'm pretty sure my dad suffers.. he goes into moods where he doesnt speak to anyone for days n mulls over shit. it can be a real downer.. and yes, as someone said, parents are entitled to have their moods/whatever.. but when a parent ceases their contact with you for days without explanation.. i dunno, its not cool. teaches message of really poor communication n can induce guilt (if you already have a tendency to think negative).

Dave_McFadden

flakeybark said:
Just wondering, how much do you think this affects you? I was practically raised by just my mom and I'd say for the larger part of it she has battled depression. Maybe not as much now, but I definitely still see it from time to time. My dad, whom I don't live but see on occasion, can have severe bouts of depression, which makes it really difficult to spend time with him. I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me quite a bit. I don't know, they're people too obviously, and entitled to their own problems. I just wonder though sometimes if my mood swings could be a byproduct of theirs. I'm not trying to shift blame here or find a cop out. Just wondering if this is possible. How much others' moods can influence your own, particularly parents.

You probably learned your "worldview" and most of your coping skills from your parents, particularly your mother if she's the one who did most of the raising. So whatever limitations they had because of their conditions, you might have as well. If they didn't deal with certain emotions well, you might have never learned how to handle them either. Or, if you did learn, it seems strange and unnatural to you because you never saw your parents do things that way. My mother might have some social anxiety, she might just hate people and never thought it was worth learning how to deal with them socially. Her favorite child is the TV. But I see some of these same traits in me and wonder how I would act differently if my mother had had friends and romantic interests like "normal" people.