Votes: 0 0.0%
  • u have some other disorder

• no idea

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ijaz_Fahted

hey guys i stumbled upon this site after doing some googling... and this is my first post :idontknow:. i am wondering if i have ocd? i do wash my hands alot i hate the feeling of having dirty hands... dirty i mean as in germs/bacteria, i dont really care if i have dirt or oil on my hands though.

when i am not busy, bored or waiting for something i often pick at my nails or pick at the skin on my fingers.... sometimes it starts to bleed. sometimes i get the urge to pluck hair from my eyebrows, eyelashes, armpits, and sometimes my pubic hair...

i like to do things by schedule. like i like to wake up at a certain time and follow the same routine everyday. before i go to bed i get an urge to check if i turned my alarm clock on, then i wash my hands i check if i turned it on again, then i put my bedtime clothes on and i check if i turned it on again. i have tried to not check but i cant sleep so i have to get up and physically check if i turned it on or not. i constantly check my pockets to see if i have everything on me. before i leave my house for school i have to physically feel that i have my wallet, phone, pack of gum, backpack, snack, bottle of water and keys on me before i leave.

then when i get in my car i have to check again before i pull out of my driveway. while i drive i often check if i locked the car door 2-3 times within a 10 min drive. i also check if my windows are fully up by pulling every switch up (automatic windows)... when i park my car before i get out i make sure i have all my things again. i then lock my car using the remote, and i walk around physically opening each door to verify it is locked. as i walk away i check again to see if i have all my stuff. basically i constantly check to make sure i have all my stuff with me.

when im at home on the computer if i hear any noise i have to get up and look out the window to see what it was/is. and i always turn around and check whats behind me while im sitting down. also before i go to bed i check that my front door is locked 2-3 times

if i am sitting with a group of people i often have an urge to stare at someone usually female and its hard not to stare. if i am talking 1 on 1 with someone its hard for me to maintain eye contact i often need to look away and see my surroundings.

do u guys think i have ocd? or do i have a fear of losing things? ive never actually "lost" anything before which is good i guess... and how do i know i have ocd? also ive noticed my spelling has been getting bad lately. if i have the symptomns do i have it or do i have to get checked out by a doctor and then i officially have ocd? last time i went to the doctor i found out i have iron deficiency amneia ....

Last edited:

laure15

Hello and welcome to the forum! It looks like you have OCD but you probably want a professional opinion on this.

Lamb

Sounds probable but you should seek a medical professional's opinion to confirm it.

ImNotMyIllness

As both members recommended, you do need to see a doctor for a proper diagnosis. But, from your behaviors it appears likely that you suffer from OCD and Trichotillomania (hair plucking disorder).
Go to YouTube.com and search for Trichotillomania. There are a lot of informative videos from other sufferers. But, do see a doctor before self diagnosing.

Ijaz_Fahted

ok when i see a doctor how does it work? do i have to mention that i may have ocd or do they know? or is there some type of test i have to do? what is the test like?

ImNotMyIllness

ok when i see a doctor how does it work? do i have to mention that i may have ocd or do they know? or is there some type of test i have to do? what is the test like?

Tell them that you believe you have OCD. Your General Practitioner really doesn't have the knowledge to help you but they can give you a referral to a Psychiatrist. That's who you really need to see. But, start with your doctor.

Silatuyok

Ha, you sound like me. I have to make a conscious effort not to double and triple check things. I try to combat this by reminding myself, as I'm checking the first time, that everything is where it should be and I don't need to check again.
I've never been diagnosed with OCD, though. As it doesn't really cause me a lot of trouble in life, I just chalk it up as another one of my many quirks.

ImNotMyIllness

Ha, you sound like me. I have to make a conscious effort not to double and triple check things. I try to combat this by reminding myself, as I'm checking the first time, that everything is where it should be and I don't need to check again.
I've never been diagnosed with OCD, though. As it doesn't really cause me a lot of trouble in life, I just chalk it up as another one of my many quirks.

If it's not causing you any trouble and you can reason your way through it, I wouldn't worry either. Everyone is a little obsessive at times. And things that involve safety and security are natural things to worry about it. It's only when you begin to ritualize (doing it a number of times or multiple of) it or obsessively check.

Silatuyok

If it's not causing you any trouble and you can reason your way through it, I wouldn't worry either. Everyone is a little obsessive at times. And things that involve safety and security are natural things to worry about it. It's only when you begin to ritualize (doing it a number of times or multiple of) it or obsessively check.

Well, I've never really been able to figure out if I have it or not. I am definitely prone to obsessive thoughts, and I have many compulsions, but nothing ritualistic. At worst it's just irritating things, like counting steps and feeling the need to touch things, etc. The worst thing I do is constantly grind my teeth in particular patterns, which doesn't bode well for my teeth or jaws, but otherwise doesn't bother me. Meh. Who knows. It would just be another disorder to add to the pile. :idontknow:

ImNotMyIllness

Well, I've never really been able to figure out if I have it or not. I am definitely prone to obsessive thoughts, and I have many compulsions, but nothing ritualistic. At worst it's just irritating things, like counting steps and feeling the need to touch things, etc. The worst thing I do is constantly grind my teeth in particular patterns, which doesn't bode well for my teeth or jaws, but otherwise doesn't bother me. Meh. Who knows. It would just be another disorder to add to the pile. :idontknow:

Try to stop grinding your teeth. (not good!).....counting steps and feeling the need to touch things, these are anxiety driven behaviors. You may have OCD, only a doctor can say...BUT, I would try to stop performing those behaviors.

Silatuyok

Try to stop grinding your teeth. (not good!).....counting steps and feeling the need to touch things, these are anxiety driven behaviors. You may have OCD, only a doctor can say...BUT, I would try to stop performing those behaviors.

Hmmm, true, it could just be anxiety. Nervous tics and such. It has gotten better since I stopped drinking caffeine, and used to be much worse when I was younger.
Any way, thanks for your input, didn't mean to take over this thread...
:)

Ijaz_Fahted

ok when i visit the my doctor and if i am actually ocd will it affect me negatively? like if i apply for a job and they want to do a background check will it come up that i have ocd? if this is the case then id rather not get it looked at.. :\

ImNotMyIllness

ok when i visit the my doctor and if i am actually ocd will it affect me negatively? like if i apply for a job and they want to do a background check will it come up that i have ocd? if this is the case then id rather not get it looked at.. :\

No. I don't believe so. Your prospective employer does not have access to your medical records. So you're fine.