do you cry at the psychiatrist's?

thelostworld

i made an appointment with a psychiatrist in like 2 weeks, and i fucking dont want to go. i've been to 2 psychologists and i hated their condescending, smug attitudes. everytime i talk about myself and my problems, I stary crying, it's like a reflex. i feel so embarrassed...does anyone else do this?

LilMissTragic

I went to a therapist a few years back and yeh, I sat there and cried while he just sat there looking at me. In the end I just got up and left. I tried another therapist who was a little better but still with the same result so I totally gave up.

Chilling__Echo

ahhhh i was so scared to so that! i would never talk in detail about my problems because of it. i would just say that i felt anxious and bad things would happen lol.

but recently i've been seeing a counselor and i did cry and it wasn't so bad. luckily i wasn't all out sobbing. but she never gives me advice, just listens and comments and that's it. i told her that i wanted to work on my self-esteem and anger and she's said nothing

Fredscars

ive never seen any specialsit for my problem..but ive found with the teachers that ive spoken to, i am much more comfortable with men, and their way of going about things than women. theyr emore direct..
but that might jsut be me, ive always been more comfortable around me (as a child i was petrified of women i didnt know)

palenikana

I'll say after reading this I am getting more nervous for my first session this Friday. I cried when I told my family doctor and I've been avoiding therapy ever since. Are the first ones brutal or long??

Nightshade

When I went to see my doctor to find out if she could suggest any treatment for blushing I had a list of other things too. I went in wearing my usual face to the world which is pretty calm, articulate and competent (as long as nobody starts crossing my anxiety boundaries). After about 5 minutes sounding "normal" (whatever that is) I got through my list and there was nothing left to tackle but the blushing so I started to try and explain and my eyes filled with tears and I started shaking and could hardly speak. I just couldn't say the things I needed to say without losing control.

I don't like losing it, but she is a professional, and I'm sure she's seen worse. I didn't really care what she thought by that stage, I just wanted someone to help me (which she did).

I think this is a helpful attitude to take under these circumstances. If the doctor or whatever can do something to help, then who cares what they think?

Grumblina is quite right, shopping around is important. Not everybody is good, and you just don't necessarily feel as comfortable with some people as others.

I still think the most helpful thing I did was work though the exercises in a "self-help" cognitive behavioural therapy book. Whatever sort of professional, they can't give you as much time as you can give yourself.

annie

Re: Shop Around

grumblina said:
Hiya! I've been to a ton of different Shrinks and Therapists. My advice is to shop around! :) The best attitudes and most help I've had have come from two females I have seen. Men are raised to be more stoic and less tolerant of emotionalism, even if they have a degree they will be who they were raised to be. I've cried in front of all my Professionals, which is what they're there for, and the best will offer a tissue and sit quietly until you wish to continue. If they try to pat you or touch you in any way it's time to shop around. The reason being that they are trying to connect too personally and will not keep the perspective they need to aid in your recovery. Also if you aren't going into this with the intention of finding a prescription to help and would rather be given tools to deal with a problem; you might want to try a Psychologist, not a Psychiatrist. Every Psychiatrist I've seen told me flat out that their case load did not permit much personal therapeutic attention and that they were mainly there to prescribe. My psychologist has been wonderful and has never tried to push any drugs on me. I've asked for and been given tools to improve my situation. Good Luck! :)

I agree, shop around. Also psychologists are better as psychiatrists main therapy approach is to dish out the medication.
Like grumblina said she asked for and has been given tools to improve her situation. Remember when seeing any therapist you have the right to ask how you want to be treated. Psychologists do have a better therapy approach.

annie :wink:

ppaul

hey lostworld,

Im kind of glad to hear that somoneelse has had an encounter with "smug" and "condescending" psychologists.

My first psychologist was great i actually enjoyed going for sessions, really good listener.

then i moved and ive stopped seeing the new psych cause he is a dick. like you said, he's condescending and smug. he keeps making judgment and never recognises my improvements. while it was still useful to see him, i think ive learnt all i can from him now. now he starts doing this thing could Thought Field Therapy. its some some stupid treatment where they tap pressure points while you chant stuff. ridiculous.

but shop around cause my first psych was really good (and a counsellor too). its just a pain in the ass when you have to retell your story to a new person all the time.

Ive never seen a psychiatrist but ive basically just heard what everyone else has been saying....they are there to prescribe.

anyways,...palenikana no need to be nervous they are usually really great. maybe you should think first...would you rather see a man or a woman? its ok to ask for one over the other.

kattness

ive been seeing mine for over 2 years and seen others b4 then, most the time i really cant help but cry when i open up, i think the key to make therapy work is opening up - i noticed a sight change in myself when i did (for the better)
sure most the time all they do is sit there and look at you, thats why i kept having to find new people until i found this one which im comfortable with.
though therapy is not for everyone.