Doctors and agoraphobia

bcv75

Hello, I'm Christy and I'm new here.

Unfortunately the first doctor I went to literally told me "Oh boo hoo" and gave me the typical "temporary depression" diagnosis and sent me home with a week's worth of Lexapro.

For years I've suffered from agoraphobia. I didn't know for sure what it was until I started reading all the symptoms. I matched them all almost perfectly. I became addicted to Soma in order to sleep, but since I got married, I can't hide those addictions anymore. Now my anxiety is very apparent.

I have a car and I'm afraid to drive it. I get sick at the thought of having to drive somewhere.

My recent positive steps was when a friend I haven't seen in ages came to pick me up to meet up with her siblings that I also knew. I had a great time and so I'm starting to think that as long as someone else transports me from place to place, I'll be ok. I'm just terrified of being alone, which I think goes into why I'm afraid to drive. Too much machinery plus a panic attack to lead me to hurting and/or killing myself and/or others.

I have had suicidal moments, but not now. I want to live. I want to be functional. I want to find a doctor I can trust who I can give me the medication and help I need to do those things, but I'm so scared from that last time I went when my doc treated me so horribly.

I like this forum very much. Even though I haven't posted, I've read, and it makes me feel so much better knowing I'm not alone, but it upsets me that there are so many of us out here and so many doctors refuse to legitimize this phobia as anything more than "common depression".

When I talked to crisis counselors about a month ago, I found myself being very reserved, afraid they would think I'm totally crazy. I don't feel crazy. I just want my social life back.

-Christy