Does excercise help at all for SA?

zyxockjm

Does working out or excercise help at all for SA? Does anyone have experience with this? I know how important it is to eat right becuase I used to starve myself before, and after eating properly for 2 weeks my SA got a lot better. People might say exercise helps but I haven't noticed any difference in my SA w/excercise so far. Anyone else want to comment on that?

bluehands

Yep. Get running! actually I dont know if it helps directly with sa, although Id say up to an hour afterwards I feel confident as ehll, I think it helps with depression which may indirectly help your sa.

Butterfly

bluehands said:
Yep. Get running! actually I dont know if it helps directly with sa, although Id say up to an hour afterwards I feel confident as ehll, I think it helps with depression which may indirectly help your sa.

I think you're right. Besides, keeping fit not only improves your health but also boosts your self-esteem. As a bonus, endorphins lift your mood too!

Aerobics are great because you have to concentrate on following the class and nobody pays attention to you.

It must sound really lame, but my big challenge for next week is to try the weights/machines area. I have to approach the instructor and ask him for a personalized routine 8O

pitkreet

Well, whilst exercise will probably help to make you feel a little better, don't view it as something that is going to come even remotely close to "curing" SA.

I've beeen running 2-3 times a week for the past 10 years and still have chronic SA. Perhaps my SA would be a tad worse if I didn't do any exercise at all, but SA is a mental condition and it requires serious mental reconditioning in order to achieve significant mental improvement.

Simply doing exercise won't make you relaxed and sparkling in anxiety provoking social situations. You need to tackle the mental problems with proper mental therapy.

Nightshade

The types of exercise that require serious mental concentration are really good for me when I am having trouble with anxiety and depression.

Something like walking or swimming is not good because during this type of exercise I find it hard to control what is circulating around in my mind so I can often get myself worked up. The endorphins or whatever from the exercise aren't enough to counter the effects of my mind stewing on what a freak I was (or whatever). So it is good for my body, but my mind would be better off if I had spent an hour sitting and reading a good book.

But where my mind needs to concentrate on the activity, this diverts my mind from thinking about things that have gone wrong and the combination of physical activity and diverting my mind leaves me feeling really good.

My favourite exercise/ activity for this is horseriding. A couple of years ago (when I lived in a different city) I used to have riding lessons once a week. I'm not a good rider (my balance is quite poor), but I always felt better after riding. I had to concentrate both body and mind in order not to fall off - great motivation!

Dancing is also good. I've been doing Middle Eastern dance for many years. For a long time I found going to the classes very intimidating, but I went anyway (on and off admittedly). For many years of lessons I barely spoke to people in the classes but I did go home and practice and now I am actually quite a good dancer and perform regularly (no, I'm not kidding - I have a serious fear of interacting with people, but no real fear of standing up in front of people and doing something like dancing or speaking). Dancing has become a safe environment for me, I'm now reasonably confident interacting with other dancers.

My opinion is that exercise is generally good for your body, but for it to be good for social phobia, it needs to distract the mind from the unhealthy mental pattens that we have.

maggie

i've been working out since dec.25, also eating healthy, hoping that healthy body meant healthy mind...didn't exactly get the results i had hoped, but i still do it cause, it makes me feel really good after(for a while), i feel stronger..and it can't hurt :wink:

zyxockjm

I had done some research before, and some people claim that one reason why so many of these psychiatric illnesses occur in society is because people do not do nearly as much physical work as was done in the past. Several centuries ago people used to work day and night on rice plantations. Now we spend most of our time in front of a computer which doesnt require any physical labor. Without the excercise and oxygen, our muscles tend to crunch up and tighten together, which is one cause of anxiety.

Thats why I posted this question to see if this is really true. But I guess as some of you pointed out, excercise gives you a feeling of well-being, and that in itself helps with sa.

ColdFury

I've tried it a bit, but it really didn't do anything.

Its hard to do any really good exercise anyways when you're afraid of being around people.