Does this ever happen to you?

gsmax5

I'll try to be imagining a turning windmill, but sometimes I can't get the windmill that I'm imagining to turn clockwise. It'll either start erratically spinning counter-clockwise, or some random object will fly all over my mental image, and I am left unable to imagine my clockwise turning windmill. It's like I don't have complete control of my imagination.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Nervous

I'll try to be imagining a turning windmill, but sometimes I can't get the windmill that I'm imagining to turn clockwise. It'll either start erratically spinning counter-clockwise, or some random object will fly all over my mental image, and I am left unable to imagine my clockwise turning windmill. It's like I don't have complete control of my imagination.

Does this happen to anyone else?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

MadCat

Me too! I think it's an issue with concentration. Imagination requires a certain amount of concentration and perhaps the OP is lacking on this while trying to imagine the windmill turning clockwise, therefor the image gets disrupted in a chaotic way.

Morgan01

never been a windmill but ither things in my mind I will try to spin them.. it's usually just a shape or a line or something I dunno.. whatever I thought of.. and it is trying to go the other way.. and I try to get it to go one way.. then if I get it to go that way I want to get it to go the other way and sometimes I will think I have it then it goes the wrong way...
does that have something to do with OCD I never correlated the 2 of them

I can't get the stupid windmill blades to stay at a constant speed. I can keep them going clockwise but they keep spinning faster and faster until I lose the image.

Blowin' in the wind....

I am kind of confused, but I think I sort of get what you mean. I never have it with a windmill but with other things. It never seems to work out the way it's suppose to, and goes off in some strange direction. I do constantly see spinning images in my vision, and I experience similar things with them.

MadCat

I guess being a keen inventor of all sorts of contraptions, I'm still finding this hard to understand. When I think of stuff in my mind it all makes perfect sense and comes together perfectly (things I make/build/design). It's almost like real life is flawed for me, not my imagination.

Sloth

I think I know what you mean. If I do, it happens to me sometimes, most recently yesterday.

I'll be trying to picture something in my head, for example a chair with a box next to it of the same height, but the picture in my mind shows a chair and a box that is only half the height of the chair. I'll get frustrated, but the mental picture refuses to change.

Sometimes, if I do manage to get the box to go to the correct height, something else will happen like the chair will shirk, fall over or disappear all together.

Does that make sense?

Noca

Banned
Try twiddling your thumbs in the opposite direction of each other, bet you cant do that either.

U

Unregistered123

yes! I think it's quite common. Probably nthing to do with OCD? I find it quite difficult to stop the spinning motion or rotate it the other way and it always tends to rotate faster and faster. O I thought I was the only one who experiences it. haha!

ABunkerHere

Wow, this is quite an interesting post. Yes, I've had this problem numerous times. A windmill is a great example, but I also have this occurrence with virtually anything I imagine. Some other examples:

Imagine a Weather-Channel radar with a hurricane. I can imagine the hurricane spinning one way, but not the other. If I attempt to change it, it begins to spin out of control, unnaturally, or my mind "glitches" and the thought is intruded by something weird.

Sloth's example of the chair and a box next to it is also true for me.

Imagine this, playing the game Jenga. When I imagine pulling a block out, it's very difficult to picture the Jenga tower actually falling; unless I just reach my arm out and knock it over... But no matter what block I pull out, I can't get the tower to fall.

I wonder what this phenomenon is called, if it's been classified at all.