..does this sound odd?

Fredscars

i'm [hoping] to persuade my parents to let me see a doctor soon about my problem, itll be the first kinda of official diagnosis ive had..but..theres a few things holding me back..parlty my hatred of doctors, partly my fear of waiting rooms..and then...
:oops:
im scared hes going to tell me i dont have social phobia. What if he tells me its all in my head, that i dont have a problem? i mean, yea itd be great to not have social phobia.but..if he says its all in my head, he cant do anything about it..then im stuck like this, totally. i know what i go through day by day, but if he doesnt see that..then..im stuffed..and im really scared that its going to turn out like that
does that make any sense?

tommydog

that probly is what he'll say mate .. cause it IS all in your head :lol:

st johns wort is natural remedy available from pharmacy. its supposed to be as good as prescription meds. some else also recomended vitamin b6 or some variation .. look for the thread.

when i was in highschool, my guardian didnt know i had sp .. i kept it secret. I found a support group, and attended it once per week.

Fredscars

shush you. its not in my head, its the people around me. ive decided :lol:

but..see..id try somehting like that. but my parents dont trust me enough to let me out without knoeing exactly where i was going, and seeing me meet up with the person. they seem to have a strange obssesion that im going to either a) sleep with my bf or b) meet some dude off the internet.

Anonymous

Tommy is right, of course. The problem is all in your head

But whatever the doc says, don't let him fob you off without getting some sort of treatment, maybe a referral to a pyschologist or something. You must make sure you get help to overcome this SA problem.

When I first started getting SA (i had no idea SA existed back then), my doc just told me that I'm just imagining my problems and I just need to get over it.

Well that was pretty devastating because I had no idea what the hell to do next. I ended up with this SA problem for years but had no idea what was wrong with me, and the doc refused to believe there was anything wrong with me. Of course the doc had almost certainly not heard of SA either. So don't let this happen to you - demand treatment because all the docs should know about SA thesedays. Even if you only have mild SA, get rid of it, don't let it build into something worse.

GettingThere

If you have this "thing" going on in your mind, then it doesn't really matter whether it is diagnosed as SP or not, either way you will benefit from some cognitive therapy.

Anonymous

hi Fred, personally i believe staying away from waiting rooms, white unknown walls and doctors who have lots of patients in a day is better therapy. You dont have the worry to go to the appointment, or wake up thinking you have to see the doc. But thats just for some, im not sayin is the worst thing to do, there are some good docs out there but the thing is...id rather avoid docs. Go sleep with you bf! (just sleep...until 18 8O ). see trees instead of white walls, adopt a pet.
I believe you are not wrong at all. Sometimes is other people's fault... :D Well, wathever u decide my best wishes.
i'm sorry im a fan of yours. 8)

Shadow

Even if the doctor says you don't have SA you can still get treatment. And you can always get a second oppinion if you don't agree. If you think you have SA then you probably do.

There are very distinct difference between SA and shyness. If you reguarly avoid social contact because of how you feel when you're around people then you have SA. And if that avoidance of people severly impacts on your life then you have SA. There are other symptoms but I don't remember them at the moment.