Driclor not working.....

JACK1990

I have been using Driclor for my forehead and armpits for just under two years and it has been working great. However, over the past month or so it seems to have stopped working. For example, I went into University yesterday and during my lecture my forehead started sweating again.

I am new to this forum and was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or has any solutions to this? I have ordered some Odaban in the hope this will give me the effect Driclor did initially. I am currently on Beta-Blockers too but they seem to make no difference so I have booked another doctors appointment for this Monday.

Thanks for reading this, any replies would be great.

JACK1990

I went to the doctors on Monday and was prescribed Clonidine. I have to take three 25mcg tablets a day, and was told to expect a delay in it's effectiveness depending on when you eat.

I have been taking it for the past three days and so far witnessed no benefits. I was wondering if anyone else has tried Clonidine and how long to takes to take effect? I have also been using Odaban for the past week as Driclor lost it's effectiveness, however Odaban has made no difference whatsoever.

I suffer from all round HH, however it is my forehead sweating that really frustrates and depresses me. Because Driclor worked for about two years I felt I was over it and loved leading a 'normal' life. However I now feel I am back at square one and I have no idea where to go from here.

Again, any help is much appreciated.

AsTimeBurns

None of those "strong" deodorants ever worked for me. The best thing I've found so far is Dove for Men roll-on. And that doesn't stop the sweat, it just masks the smell. Nothing has ever been able to stop me actually sweating loads...ruined lots of t-shirts.

Soy Sauce

I wouldn't be surprised if your body has built up an immunity to the Driclor. I've never had any success with the strong deodorants either. I have palmar/plantar HH so maybe it's more effective for people with your type of HH.

Maybe take a break from using it for a week or two and see what happens after resuming use? Other than that, I'd suggest iontophoresis for your armpit HH. I've had great success with it, but I don't know how effective it's been for people with armpit HH. I know some iontophoresis devices have an accessory specifically for armpits. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for your facial HH.

After a really quick search on Clonidine (I'd never heard of it before reading your post), it appears to be a medication meant to treat anxiety. Your doctor must think that if he can prescribe something that will keep you calm, you won't sweat, but if you really have HH, than anti-anxiety meds won't help, because the root cause of HH has nothing to do with anxiety/stress/nervousness. It can be triggered by them, but it's not the cause. It's a problem with the part of your nervous system that regulates your body temperature and tells it when to sweat.

JACK1990

Yeah I think your body can get immuned to Driclor too which is really frustrating because it worked so well for me!

I think the Clonidine does help you feel slightly more relaxed but I still sweat which is the overall problem. Hopefully the Clonidine will help me to get through the last few months of University and then I can get referred to a dermatologist in the summer who will hopefully have more of an idea about possible treatments than my doctor does.

Like I said before though, it is so frustrating to have found a treatment that really worked for me (Driclor) and then for it to lose its effectiveness.

SaintChains

Jack, there is always the option of talking to another doctor. Make it clear that you were not happy with the treatment suggested by your current doctor, talk to the new GP about things like glycopyrrolate (Robinul), which is an anti-cholinergic drug that many users have found to be very effective in treating sweating.

In the meantime, there are very many products for you to try, some of which are listed here: http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/hyperhidrosis-remedies-and-information-3707/

I have had success with Odaban for the treatment of axillary hh (though only under "normal" non-stressful conditions). I would recommend trying the Secure Wipes, also. Klima products, I read, are also popular.

Do you have private health insurance? Ask them if they cover botox injections for hh. This can be done for facial sweating.

Lastly, when all else fails, read Nietzsche.

Take care and let us know how the Odaban works for you.

ukchick

I actually use Maxim that I purchase from Canada,it works really well for me. My daughter uses Secure wipes but they don't really help her that much. Such a massive pain and expense but I would say it's really trial and error. Good luck x

JACK1990

I have been using Odaban for about three weeks now and taking Clonidine for about two weeks. I thought that the Odaban was working to an extent however in my lecture this morning I felt my forehead start to sweat which has really set me back again. Although it wasn't perfect, I really felt that the Odaban was helping.

Personally, I do not feel the Clonidine is making much difference however I will finish the dosage prescribed to me and then return to my doctor and inform him of how I feel.

I am thinking about trying Driclor again soon as that was brilliant for about a year and a half, to the extent that I wasn't even thinking about my HH. To anyone that hasn't tried that yet it really worked well for me.

JACK1990

My doctor has just recommended Glycopyrrolate Wipes to me. I was wondering if anyone had used these and whether they had had any success with them as it seems a lot of money to spend if they are ineffective.

Thanks again

Soy Sauce

Never used the glyco wipes, but I assume it works similar to the oral glyco, just absorbed into the body differently.

Glycopyrrolate is definitely effective at stopping the body from sweating temporarily, but it has some uncomfortable side-effects. Do a search on glycopyrrolate or Avert.

Iontophoresis is my recommendation. It can work for people with armpit and facial HH, although I don't know how effective it is compared to those with hand/feet HH like me. It's worked great for me.

Thesius

Driclor works perfectly with my hands and i'm using it for 4 years. Just make sure
that your hands are completely dry before applying it.

I've had a strange revelation with Driclor. I was prescribed it by a (less than useful) doctor when I was at university. I started to use it under my arms, but it irritated the skin in the 'crevice' where your pec and shoulder muscle joins. I stopped using it for about a year and a bit. I found it again a couple of weeks ago and decided to give it a try one Sunday night.

My armpits didn't sweat for a whole week after (apart from at the gym). As a sure test of it's effectiveness, I went to the cinema wearing a heather grey t-shirt. Usually I'd come out with mad sweat patches, but there was none to be seen! I reapply it every week and a half. It does feel weird sometimes though, as in it feels like I am sweating, or I want to sweat. It doesn't, however, do anything for my hands.