driving and social anxiety

Anonymous

I am wondering if "normal" people do this or if it's just an sa thing.It happens when i'm stopped at a red light,particularly a long red light.I start to almost panic and become very self-concious,thinking i am being stared at by the drivers next to me.So instead of looking at them or appear to be scared stiff i go so far as to fake a cell phone conversation or play with my stereo.I suspect many people do this as a coping mechanism,especially in my city where a wrong look will get your head blown off!

Anonymous

ihaveissues said:
In my city where a wrong look will get your head blown off!

Of course you think this. You wouldn't have the problems you have if you didn't think this.

Anonymous

this is not uncommon - the first article i ever read about SA had an item about someone who had exactly your problem at traffic lights - i also used to have this problem and always fiddled with my knob (on my radio) or stared straight ahead, avoiding catching anyone's eye - typical SA behaviour

GettingThere

It can be uncomfortable. What I have personally found to be the worst was when there was somebody you know in a car at the lights within eye view. After you have waved to them I just don't know what the hell to do. It really becomes quite nerve wracking just waiting for the lights to change.

Hamble

You've got to just keep telling yourself that no one is remotely interested in what you're doing in your car and probably are lost in their own thoughts or staring at the lights willing them to change.

I get swallowed up in paranoia and self awareness too, but I just talk myself out of it in my mind. I'm getting better at it the more I practise.

enigma

Ive got a solution to this problem, why not just get your car windows tinted, although some people might stare more at your car because of it, at least they wont be able to see you feeling self conscious :oops: although people might think youve got something to hide and make assumptions your a drug dealing pimp who wants his privacy, not that im talking from experience here, thats way to much interaction for me to deal with :?

Yossarian

Anonymous said:
how about putting up curtains?

Yeah net curtains would work. Some doilies would be a nice touch too but wouldnt help on the anxiety front methinks.

HAMBLE!! I was enjoying watching the man run round and round...meany :cry:

Anonymous

net curtains would be nice, but probably illegal....i reckon venetian blinds will be legal as you can open them when driving and close them when stopped

at first, i thought you said dollies (not doilies) and it got me thinking that you could get loads of big doll's heads and place them all over the inside of your car - that way, if people look in, there'll be so many heads to look at that they won't know which one is you

it would work even better if you could drive the car from the back-seat and put a doll in the driver's seat, perhaps using pulleys and a periscope so that it looks like the doll is driving that car - people will naturally assume that whoever's in the driver's seat must be the real person

Anonymous

Definitely Always

Yes this happens to me all the time until recently, I'm now on a drug called TRanxene which when you get to that red light that you still feel like everyone is staring but you just don't care anymore and this eases the edgyness . But I've only been on this a few weeks so I don't know what the long term effects will do but hey anything worth a try at this stage in my opinion . Also I really used to hate if I was parked directly in front of another car which was facing me and filled with people whom you always think are staring directly at you . So Don't worry this is normal for SA people I'm sure

Anonymous

I personally am not a fan of medications.From what i've seen in other people they only seem to sedate them to the point of having no feelings/emotions whatsoever.Like you said,it doesn't make the problem go away,it just makes you "not care".I wish you luck though.

tommydog

yes this problem is familiar .. but for me its not a problem particular to driving .. its just my sp in general. I mean .. when im feeling edgy .. i am like that at anytime when there is lots of people around me .. yes including when im stopped at lights .. i agree with GettingThere too about seeing people you know .. but yer its just a general anxiety thing.

for me, when im feeling fine which is the majority of the time at the moment .. its a non issue .. im just cruising and yer .. if i see someone i know .. how you doin brother .. chit chat small talk, the lights change,and away you go.

also you could try tinted windows ! dont tell me you drive a convertable puuuuleaase :roll: :lol:

Hamble

If find getting someone else to drive and riding in the boot/trunk of the car comforting.