Easy Target

Scottish_Player

I always only work with one person at a time,but today i had to work in a group,there was a big delivery of building materials got delivered and it had to be put in a store about 12 ft away so there was 8 of us in a small area trying to lift it all,anyway there where several jokes made and most where at my expence they where not nasty or anything but why was i picked to be at the expence of the joke?

Is it because they know i wont say anything in return and just accept it or am i just being paranoid?

LilMissTragic

I Think youll find that because your so quiet they were actually doing it to provoke a reaction. As you said, the jokes were not nasty so I'm guessing that was all they were doing. They are obviously interesting in communicating with you and are just trying to get you to chat a bit.

Egmanns

Reality

Hello this is only my opinion but i believe it to be very true and it may hurt but i beleive it to be the truth. Ive experienced what you have just described many times. People when in a group will often feel uncomfotable and it all about power, so how do you get power and look confident and also make friends?? comedy!!! so you pick out the weakest person in the group with any noticable how do i say lesser qualities and you attack them so that others will laugh and they will get what they want. Its the cold hard truth. Infact i was very angry today about the same sort of thing, i went to pay a bill and was quiet and nervous so what happens? the lady becomes rude and hostile and sarcastic. This relieves tension from her and boosts her self esteem at my expence. Its like the old saying only the strong survive. its true. In the animal world who gets eate and not accepted? the different ones and the weaker ones. This is changable though cause ones you get comfortable you get more confident and even your body langauge increases. I have been at both ends of the scale. Im now very confident around most but have problems with services such as going into a shop etc. Sorry to blab and i hope this helps.

LilMissTragic

If the joke was not nasty then don't take it seriously. I think you are all so used to negative reactions that in this case you are putting a negative aspect on it. I myself do not believe they did it out of spite this time. We all joke around and make fun of our friends and I think at this time they really did just want him to join in. So, you can either go along with it, try to jest back or you can sit and take it in a negative context and make yourself unhappy. I know its hard to join in at times but in that sort of environment you have to push yourself to talk or else your all going to start to feel uncomfortable.

Anyways, you never told us what you said back to them, Scottish

Scottish_Player

I didnt say anything back,i just gave my little stupid smile that i normaly do,when i do eventulay think of somthing good too say the moment has passed as i spent too much time thinking about it :?

maggie

Scottish_Player, I can never think of reply when I am being mocked, or joked about (they are ONLY kidding, they always say :evil: ) Pisses me off, cause perfect response comes to my mind always too late :x Smartasses!! Too bad they get off making fun of others.

LilMissTragic

Scottish, thats cool, at least you took it lightly. Probelm with SP is that we read way too much into some thingsand always in a negative context...and yeh, I know what ya mean about missing the moment.
By the sounds of it you handled it as well as anyone would.

JoeRandomUser

LilMissTragic: I agree fully.

I remember getting myself wound up over comments people have made in the past. Stupid part is that my initial reaction is usually to take it in good humor and joke back, but then later on I think on it too much and I let paranoia get the best of me. I turn something harmless into something harmful!