facial expression

Earthcircle

When I was young, I was told I have flat affect. I guess I still do. How does one tell whether one has flat affect or not? Does one have to see a mental health professional? I think that many of my difficulties involve my lack of facial expression or facial expressions that come across as inappropriate and which don't reflect my actual attitude toward the other person, e.g. seeming to glare or give a dirty look when I actually like the other person. (I hope no one finds it offensive that I'm just making a statement and not asking a question. I seem to offend people very easily, and I hate doing that.)

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I would think it's very difficult to change facial expression. Wouldn't flat affect be linked to social anxiety and introversion? I've been told I'm blank and emotionless in the past, when SA was bad, and it was mostly because I felt way too exposed showing any sign of emotion. As I got better (and a little less scared to be betrayed, judged or attacked), I think I gave my face the permission to move a little more. Now I think I almost look normal.

Not sure it's of any help for you though o_O

Hellhound

Super Moderator
It's probably related to your introverted personality. I had a similar thing happening, but now I smile like a derp a lot. People seem to like that more.

Lilly789

it needs to be diagnosed by a psychiatrist (NOT a psychologist or therapist), assuming you've been to a GP and had all possibility of another issue causing the symptoms removed.

there is a HUGE difference between not being very expressive, or not showing a great deal of emotion or just being depressed, and blunted (or flat) effect.

It also has very specific causes - its not linked to personality, or just being an introvert or being shy. When they say someone with flat effect has "difficulty" expressing emotions, they do not mean the person doesn't want to, or doesn't like expressing emotions, or doesn't know how, its that the person has physiological issues making it difficult.

Its caused by abnormalities in the brain - causes include things like brain damage and schizophrenia and PSTD - these things can literally be seen on an MRI through changes in brain behaviour. Very serious major depression can also cause it, but its usually coupled with another physiological issue.

The abnormalities from Blunted/flat effect can actually be measured and seen in scans. If someone has diagnosed you with blunted affect and you have NOT had at least an MRI, Id be seeing someone else.

Last edited:

Earthcircle

The abnormalities from Blunted/flat effect can actually be measured and seen in scans. If someone has diagnosed you with blunted affect and you have NOT had at least an MRI, Id be seeing someone else.

This is a really long story, but in 1983, I was ordered to see a psychiatrist by my therapist, not even given a choice. Nor was there any explanation. Years later, I managed to acquire the case notes and found that the psychiatrist was treating me for schizophrenia. This is a truly awful story, because I was not even psychotic. The meds caused mental illness and relieved absolutely nothing. However, the one symptom I don't dispute is flat affect, and I don't dispute it because, not being able to see myself from a distance, I have no way to judge. But now, thanks to this experience mainly, I don't trust mental health professionals and would prefer not to see one. No, I never had an fMRI. In the past, some people have even accused me of lying, or perhaps being delusional, in telling this story. Supposedly, it is impossible for a person wholly free of psychosis to be diagnosed and treated for schizophrenia. Supposedly, it is also impossible, or quite unlikely, that someone would be ordered to see a psychiatrist without being given any explanation. But I can only tell the truth. It is up to you what to believe.

FriendlyShadow

When I was young, I was told I have flat affect. I guess I still do. How does one tell whether one has flat affect or not? Does one have to see a mental health professional? I think that many of my difficulties involve my lack of facial expression or facial expressions that come across as inappropriate and which don't reflect my actual attitude toward the other person, e.g. seeming to glare or give a dirty look when I actually like the other person. (I hope no one finds it offensive that I'm just making a statement and not asking a question. I seem to offend people very easily, and I hate doing that.)

I understand. I seem to be unaware of what facial expressions I use when I talk to people and I might be using the wrong signals/body language/ and expressions while I'm talking at the wrong time. There was one time where I was talking to someone about a serious topic about something, I was kind of pulling my lips into a slight smile when really I was getting frustrated and in dismay because I wasn't getting my point across. I hate that everything I'm doing is unnatural and it doesn't come out the way I want it to come out as.