found this interesting

Chilling__Echo

like the title says, i came across this, has anyone ever heard of this?

Selective Mutism is a psychiatric disorder most commonly found in children, characterized by a persistent failure to speak in select settings, which continues for more than 1 month.

These children understand spoken language and have the ability to speak normally. In typical cases, they speak to their parents and a few selected others. Sometimes, they do not speak to certain individuals in the home.

Most are unable to speak in school, and in other major social situations. Currently, Selective Mutism, through published studies, appears to be related to severe anxiety, shyness and social anxiety. Selective Mutism may be associated to a variety of things, but the exact cause is yet unknown.

www.selectivemutismfoundation.org

I actually have heard of this condition. I think selective mutism is just a severe case of SA. I had some symptoms of it when I was younger, like never speaking to any teachers or other adults in my school. I also have a cousin who had the same symptoms and she never really spoke to family either but luckily we've both gotten a little better, I can actually talk to my professors now.

MadCat

I've also heard about that too.

During my massive reading of SA/SP and other things it's appeared a few times.

Chilling__Echo

i really haven't searched too much on the internet. i kept coming up with the same websites that all told me the same things. sometimes i look at other discussion boards and be thankful that i don't have something like scitzophrenia or bipolar disorder 8O

dan246

schizophrenia has always scared the hell out of me. just the name sketches me out. i've met a few people with it and they seem well adjusted. i guess just the thought of "going crazy" has always got me nervous.

unleashed

i like your blog madcat its cool and interesting and it also looks good the way youve designed it.

MadCat

Oh thanks. Just trying to get out my life :) I hope that someone who reads it can see how my life gets better and how it was.