Getting a job

megt

Does anyone have social phobia which inhibits them from getting a job? How can this be overcome?

Dill

I always struggle to approach managers. And when I Eventually meet them I am so shy that I spoil the interview.

IT really sucks

ricky

i aint never gone for a job, i could proberly get by wit the interview but its doin the job inself. i jus feel that i would feel sick coz im being relied on to do sumin. an i will panic about it b4 i hav to go and get it.

ric xx

Michelob512

If you have been diagnosed with SA, there might be ways you can skip the interview process. My job hires retarded people, and I'm sure there are other businesses that hire people with disabilities- you might just have to tell them about yours. And of course, you'll need a job where your SA won't act up.

Tim001

I have struggled throughout my entire working career with SA and it has robbed me of many opportunities along the way. I have watched as co-workers have been promoted above me and I have had to live with people thinking that I am an underachiever when it is really the SA running my life. I work because I have no choice and I have people depending on me.

My advice is to find a job you like and one that is relatively low-key. Low-key doesn’t necessarily mean low pay. You don’t have to go to work in a complete panic everyday. Dealing with SA in a high profile position will simply stress you out to the point that you will likely quit anyway. The exposure method of dealing with SA is not a good thing to try at work. As you become accustomed to your job, the anxiety level should diminish.

Tim 8)

Michelob512

JWH said:
Michelo, that sounds very interesting. How do you find it?

First you should have been officially diagnosed with SA. Then, you can either contact a business through email or another idea might be to contact a social worker. I think the key is to be persistent, try to get every job you think you can do, it all depends on how understanding the managers are. You should fully explain your situation and make sure to explain SA fully so the manager isnt scared off, and tell the positive things about yourself. This advice is only for anyone who cant get through the interview process.

Horatio

I guess the job thing is where Im lucky. I find the idea of most jobs very intimidating because of my SP, eg: I could never work in a video store. But because I love what I do I find that its easy for me to put a lot of effort into making it work no matter how difficult it is for me with my SP. If I didnt love my work as much as I do then it would be impossible for me to put up with the SP and do it anyways. So my advice would be to find something that you REALLY REALLY want to do, and then do it, no matter what anyone says and no matter how bad the SP is

Sempfy

Michelob512 said:
If you have been diagnosed with SA, there might be ways you can skip the interview process. My job hires retarded people, and I'm sure there are other businesses that hire people with disabilities- you might just have to tell them about yours. And of course, you'll need a job where your SA won't act up.

Yeah, apparently my Job Network is trying to line me up with a job which doesn't really involve an interview, coz of my SP. I've only had one interview in my life and I totally messed it up badly.

I never ring anywhere, I always email coz I jes hate talking on the phone to those people, don't want to be bombarded with questions thinking I won't know how to answer and I'll get all nervous and stuff.

cody2468

If having job interviews is the problems then your local centrelink office can help you. They helped me along time ago, like telling you what to expect in an interview, being prepared for any questions that you are asked. If you mess a couple up don't worry about it, you will know what not to do next time.

I find that working actually helps me with my SA. I have to get used to being around people all day and talking to them so that after awhile I'm not so scared being around other people and I am slowly starting to come out of my shell abit more as I am very introverted.

If I didn't work I wouldn't have any other contact with people and would be sitting at home in isolation feeling miserable.

If you want to find a job try going for one that you are really interested in, at the moment I am driving taxis but I would really love to get back into cleaning so that I can have more time to myself. I'm just procastinating as I find the first initial contact is the hardest.