Girls/Mommys

Hey, i can interact more with girls but even so i have a hard time because my mind is always blank.

Anxiety is ruining my life and is difficult for me to speakout in class or give out a presentation. talking on the phone, and walking in a huge crowd of people.

Argamemnon

I wonder how you people find partners, if you suffer from anxiety so much (I'm a guy by the way).

drd77

they are chicks, so they just wait to get asked out. if they are attractive, they probably get asked out a lot. however, for us guys, we have to do the asking out and that makes it so much harder.

Argamemnon

sleepysparrow said:
By "you people" are you referring to SA sufferers or women in general? I don't have anxiety with everyone, certian people make me really nervous but certain people I get along with just fine. If you don't have SA I don't think you understand.

I mean females who say they suffer from social anxiety, and yet have a partner. I have severe social anxiety, I think that's the difference.

coriander1992

Argamemnon said:
sleepysparrow said:
By "you people" are you referring to SA sufferers or women in general? I don't have anxiety with everyone, certian people make me really nervous but certain people I get along with just fine. If you don't have SA I don't think you understand.

I mean females who say they suffer from social anxiety, and yet have a partner. I have severe social anxiety, I think that's the difference.

Who are you to crticise in such a way Argamemnon? :?
There are people, male and female, who have social anxiety and still have partners.
Social anxiety effects different people in different ways in different situations and with different people (Phew).

Some people with SA will deal with situations you never could, and likewise you may deal with situations that they couldn't.

sleepysparrow- I find it hard to communicate with both genders really, but i'm probably more fearful of other females. Especially good-looking ones!
SA effects literally everything in my life, from what I choose to eat, to the places I go etc. :roll:

Argamemnon

I wasn't criticizing; I was genuinly asking a question. I have come to the conclusion that I do not only suffer from social anxiety, but also from avoidant personality disorder, and on top of that I'm "love shy".

I know what you mean about the mom thing. I'm not a mom, but I was listening to my aunt who is very social and has three young kids talk about the mom of one of the kids in her son's grade who doesn't take part in any of the school events and doesn't make an effort to have play dates or talk to the other moms. She said it was such a shame for the kid and unfair to him. I just thought shit that's going to be me if I ever have children. It made me really sad because I really love kids and want to be a mom and would never want to push my problems on to them.

VioletTears

Well, I'm a woman who pretty much fits all the criteria for avoidant personality disorder and have for my entire life, and I'm married...

I agree that women have it easier because men are more often the ones who are stuck asking... I never could have asked him out, even knowing that he was interested, but since he asked me it was a little easier...

But I will say, having a relationship and having a healthy relationship are two different things. DH used to be sort of a jerk when we were younger but I was so convinced that nobody else would want me that I clung to him and became extemely paranoid that he would leave me. Also, because it was too hard for me to talk about my feelings I ended up cutting myself instead when I needed to communicate my pain. Even now I keep a lot from him and I don't believe I'm good enough for him. Anyways, I probably have some other personality disorders on top of being avoidant.

As far as being a mom, for me it makes it harder, because I feel guilty when I don't take my son out but when I do take him out I feel really nervous around the other moms. I feel so different from all of them. I would love to have a friend who has a son close in age but even if I could bring myself to form relationships with our neighbors or whatever, I think I make them nervous because they seem to avoid us, too. The other moms that I see around here always seem so much older and more together than me, too. I just can't relate well to any of them...

sleepysparrow

Dave_McFadden said:
sleepysparrow said:
Relationships with girls have always been hard for me, they intimidate me for some reason.

Do you generally get along better with guys than with girls?

This is a late response but, I don't get along with anyone anymore but I used to get along better with guys. I've had bad experiences with girls in the past with bullying and rumors and it seems as if I run into mean girls more often than guys. I'm sure there are lots of nice girls out there I just haven't met any...