got to give a 20-25 min. presentation!!! HELP!!!!!!!!

helenrogers

I'm really scared. About to vomit from the extreme feelings I'm experiencing right now. To complete my US History course in school, I have to give a 20-25 minute presentation. I know it's not going to happen. There is no way in hell I'll get up in front of 20+ people and give a presentation. I need help quick. I hope someone can give me some advice. Please, anyone.

Crimefish

Ask your doctor for something you can take on the day, to relax you.
Or talk to your teacher about it and explain that it's out of the question because you have SA.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

helenrogers

Alrighty, we're off for Thanksgiving Break all next week, so when we come back, I'm going to beg to let me do a 5-page paper, ANYTHING, just something other than that.

Tim001

Public speaking and presenting to groups has always sent my SA through the roof. I believe that this is the worst thing that a person suffering from social phobia can experience. Just when I think my life is going ok, something like this comes to destroy any security and peace of mind I thought I had.

In such a situation my physical signs are extreme (i.e. blushing, tightness in my throat, unsteady voice, shaking, shortness of breath, pounding chest and a general sick feeling) these are very obvious to people I am sure. Knowing that my symptoms are very visible only makes the physical signs worse, and so on ...The snowball effect.

I have suffered with SA all my life and have had my share of public speaking nightmares. I will think obsessively about an upcoming presentation weeks in advance. Generally, only thinking of ways to escape. (I.e. fake sick, quit my job, quit school,).

Anyway, I did have a point here. I am required to go for training on occasion to update my skills at work. It's either that or I work at McDonalds. This is a mandatory part of my job. There is no way around it. The classroom consists of about 20-25 people from around North America. My problem begins right away with introductions. Each person must take a turn as they go around the room and you must introduce yourself to the group and tell a little about yourself (about 5 min worth)... At this point, I am weak with fear. I start out ok for the first 20 seconds, then as I am unable to breathe properly and my heart is thumping, my voice starts shaking and it goes downhill from there. At the end of it all, no one says anything, but I get some pretty strange looks. I am now the outcast of the group and since the class is 1 week long, it's tough.

My way of decreasing the physical symptoms is vigorous exercise, such as running, just before the event. For some reason exercise seems to deplete whatever it is that causes my symptoms. This only works for me if I exercise for at least 20 minutes and no more than 2 hours before the presentation. This really does work! I am still scared beyond belief, but my physical symptoms have diminished and because of this I avoid the "snowball effect" I mentioned.

Best of luck! You can get through this.

Tim

Johnie

When I was in college I was told to get up and do a 5 minute talk - in five minutes time - just like that. The subject was picked out of the hat. Dentistry!!

When the time came I stood up okay, but I just could not get my brain to think. And I could not get my mouth to work. Just a red haze in my mind. I just blubbered a bit then just stood there for the 5 minutes - silent.

I could not bring myself to go back to college for 3 days, which was a bugger because we was running up toward final exams. The funny thing was, this particular class was sort of abandoned after that. It was not a compulsory subject, and NOONE went back to it after my sorry performance...

Later in life I went to see a therapist about my problems. I asked her, "what sort of coping stratagy can I use to get me through situations like that?"

She was a lousy therapist - could not suggest anything other than blowing in a paper bag, or sitting with my head between my knees. Can you imagine doing THIS in front of 20 people?

Years later when I was working I had another close encounter. I am an electrical design engineer and we had just installed some new equipment in the local steelworks.

The mechanical engineer, who had designed the plant, was required to give instructions to the plant operators and maintenance men about the new machinary.

But the day before it was due, I was told that this guy was not going to do it - it was up to me to do it on my own. So I dashed into work and prepared some printed handouts and went over everything, and did myself a program.

So - over the next 3 days I did 6 teach-ins to 6 different lots of guys. 2 hours each, with about 8 people there each time.

I got through it only because of preparation. I could go down my list item by item, and this got me through. I may have very little confidence with people, but I guess I had a lot of confidence in my subject and in my knowledge of it. These are totally different things. I told myself "I am the expert!" and this gave me sufficient confidence to get through it.

Preparation is everything.

Johnie.

Horatio

I agree with the last post, preperation is a big part of it. If you feel confident that you understand the subject REALLY well then thats one less thing to worry about.

With regards to when your up there doing the presentation, I dont know if it works for everyone but theres one thing I learnt from the theatre. I used to do theatre acting for a few years before my socialphobia and depression got out of control, and when I was on the stage looking out to the audience, because of the lights all I would see was a blur and although I was aware of the audience it was as if they were just a hazey prescence. Since then I sometimes manage to apply that situation to every day life, when required to speak to a group I will switch something in my head so all I see is a faceless haze. I dont stare straight ahead but look around side to side WITHOUT ACTUALLY LOOKING ANYONE IN THE EYE. Because your in front of a group of people noone will know your not looking people in the eye, they just presume your looking at someone else. In kinda makes it easier to be standing in front of a misty dimlight haze instead of a group of individuals.

anyways as I said I dont know if thats helpful or not but take from it anything that might be of use

helenrogers

I read all the previous post and I want you guys to know that all of them made me think and write down the tips and strategies you guys suggested. ESPECIALLY preparation. I'm going to definitely do tons of that.

Thanks to everyone that's shared their experiences and tips, it has helped tremendously!

polkadots

the last time i did one I blushed, stuttered and my voice of high. I was shaking. I have another one soon. I'm quite scared as well, it is for promotion (not that my job is good or anything).

Best thing, just keep on trying to do public stuff, get used to it. Thats what I'm goinna do

Anonymous

Here's a few tips that work for me whenever I have to give a speech or presentation:

1) Walk around the room before class starts.

2) See if you can be the first one up there. Yes! I know it sounds crazy but it works! I've always wanted to be last one to go up, but then one time I was forced to go first, and after that time, I never wanted to be second-last again.

3) About a minute before you get up, tighten as many muscles in your body as you can (legs, arms, ect.), then release when you get up to present. This works for me, I'm not sure why, but I beleive that it has something to do with the blood rushing to your muscles after you release...rather than to your face (which causes blushing from nervousness)

4) In your speech/presentation try to be AS FORMAL AS POSSIBLE. You may be required to give eye contact, if so, just rapidly scan the back of the room (like from left to right) whenever you can. Try to read your presentation/speech as much as you can, rather than providing your own unwritten input cause this causes nervousness (at least to me).

5) This happens EVERYTIME...before my speech, I'm nervous and my hands get sweaty...I go up and when I start the speech, about 5 seconds later I realive how stupid it was of me to be nervous over such a dumb thing.

6) Use visual aids....this makes the audience look at your visual aids, rather than you. The bigger and interesting the visual aid is, the better.

7) Give out handouts related to your speech before you start...you can put stats, pics, ect....this will cause your audience to look at your handout, rather than you during the speech.

Hope it helps, good luck