hard time finding a job i can handle

msroseross09

I'm new to this, and I'm 20 years old, I've been trying to look for a decent job, that maybe I could tolerate, I don't enjoy talking or being around other people much, but with any job you have to deal with people, I need to work but I just can't see myself working in a store or a fast food place because i feel like I'd be very miserable, and wouldn't be able to do the job well, because I always feel on edge and unconfortable when I'm around people. I just don't know what to do, and no one seems to understand that, being that i'm around mostly outgoing people:/ any help?

dead24

Hi you are not alone. Im about to graduate next year. And almost everyday i can't stop worrying about how am i supposed to get a job or IF i can get a job. I cant stop thinking about how am i supposed to deal with my co-workers and my boss, about how am i going to be accepted by other people if my social skills are totally gone now etc. But its nice to know im not alone.

ShyChild

Yes it's hard. I'm 25 now & while it does get a little easier, I'm still waiting for it to not be so hard. The only jobs I've had that I really thought I could handle were working at a library and as a pre-school teacher assistant. The longest job was as a waitress (when I was 20) & it was kind of traumatic. Although, tips were good, people were pretty abusive. If you can, I'd avoid positions food industry. Those are the jobs I've struggled the most with. It can get pretty fast paced & people (coworkers & customers) can get real mean.

I've never tried it b/c of my asthma, but maybe you could work with animals (pet store or vet's office).

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but good luck.

armadillo

One of my first jobs was to shelve books in a library. I used to enjoy shelving because I worked alone. Occasionally someone would ask me a question but it wasn't often. And it helped me get used to people a bit more.

kristina303

Yeah I just graduated high school and I can't get a job. Makes me feel like crap that all my friends have jobs and I don't. They don't know I have SA so they just think I'm lazy.

WeirdyMcGee

I'm 23 and agoraphobic. I've found that I'll never be able to take a job I'm comfortable with because I'm not qualified to do a whole lot.
There are some organizations that will help you with placement.

You should call your local mental health center and ask if they know of any local services that could help you find a job you're more comfortable with.

NihilSlayer

The job thing sucks for socially phobic folk. I even have a hard time going into a place to ask for an application. I thought the "online application" thing was a godsend until I realized that they almost never get answered: I take an hour to fill out tons of vacuous details about myself-- in addition to a personality test (which I expertly lie upon)-- only to find it forwarded on to digital purgatory where it invariably exists ad infinitum. Now I work in the back of a restaurant cutting vegtables at a frantic, break-neck pace for little money whilst dealing with a psycho boss that gropes me from time to time and idiot coworkers who haven't yet discovered deodorant-- working sucks! Seems as though it is just a requisite part of life to have to spend 8 hours of every week day hating life until you can go home and indulge in escape, only to come up for air sunday afternoon and dread going to work-hell on monday-- and that's if you get weekends off! I don't know... I don't buy it. There has to be a better way. I feel so disconnected from anything real. Most work is mechanical, monotonous, and super specialized: it is the stimulus by which our minds lobotomize themselves until retirement. Then we lie to ourselves, either faking pride in children that are actively hating their lives, or saying "Well... I am a good person-- I never hurt anyone", cause that is the best valuation we can muster: to have had no effect on anything. I'm getting disgusted anymore by everything... Even myself and all of you-- the internet. It disgusts me kind of. Granted, the possibilities of it are mind-boggling and exciting, but so often it gets misused and functions as an inadequate stand-in for real life, meaningful experience, and just basking in the natural world: feeling the wind rustle your hair, being bathed in a kaliedoscope of light as the sunset peers through the foliage of an oak tree, or even the exhilaration of punching someone in the face who deserves it-- we concoct little worlds with nebulous, diffuse minds spread all over the world and avoid engaging with the world outside our door. Abstraction reigns in these digital realms-- and while in specific instances it may galvanize learning, epiphany and ultimately transcendence-- more often than not it just fascillitates us cowing in the face of possibility. Anyway, my phobic friends, I shall go to sleep as I have to work tomorrow...

p.s. Don't take the "disgust" thing to seriously, my sensitive darlings, frustration manifests itself, and really should be forgiven its trespass when it travels with genuine feeling.

Last edited: