has anyone ever skipped classes because of hyperhidrosis?

hinder87

sometimes it gets to the best of me and i end up calling my teacher making a lame excuse. i know its bad but sometimes i cant help it :(

iDShaDoW

Never have but it does definitely ruin my day and my mannerisms change from how I would've been if I hadn't started sweating.

I've had times though where I'm in a lecture hall sitting right between two people and I avoid taking notes so that they don't see the ink smearing or the paper completely drenched in sweat so I pretty much remember way less from the lecture than I should've.

hyp-hi

Yes, sweating in class can be awful, and it can be hard to hide. For me, one time in college it was getting out of control and I just got up and walked out of class like I had to got to the bathroom. I didn't even come back until the class was over so I could get my stuff. This is actually one of the reasons I decided to drop out of school. It just shows how much HH affects our lives.

shh

my 25 year old son had the same problem and just discovered he had social anxiety and is now on medication that has worked wonders and his sweating is almost gone....you might have social anxiety and not realize it...please, please check into it. he suffered for about 6 years and it really affected his life. I just want to get the word out...sweating can be directly related to social anxiety

iDShaDoW

Glad to hear your son is doing better.

I've actually had hyperhidrosis since I was like 8 or 9 or so. Dont' remember exactly when it started but I'm sure it's caused me to develop some sort of social anxiety over the years as I got older which lead to the hyperhidrosis getting a bit worse (ie. I get nervous tics with my neck involuntarily sometimes which is very annoying).

wethandsandfeet

I always managed classes OK...its at work where you have to use your hands that HH is a pain. Had to give up/reduce sooo many things in life though...girls, dancing, sports, socializing etc.

Lae

Hey i'm 12 and i've had hyperhydrosis since I was 9 so i know how it feels and no i dont skip classes but i do sit in the back and dont pay attention to anything except my sweatingness
-Lae :oops:

Hylke

I skipped a few presentations because of SA, and countless PE lessons ofcourse...

WastedPotential

One time I was sweating so bad I asked to be excused to the nurse, of course there was nothing 'wrong' with me per se, so when the teacher walked by and asked what's up I said I had the flu or something...

Sorry you've got to go thru it.

You know, I didn't go to college because of my hyperhidrosis...my parents still don't know the real reason why.

They sure are disappointed, though..

dolittle

Im skipping classes right now!

I am not well at the moment but nothing i can't handle, however its given me a bit of a temperature which has made my condition soooo much worse.

I walked with my flat mate to lectures he wore a jacket and a hat and i wore just a t shirt and i was soaked before i even finished the short journey to uni. I was really cold as well, it was totally not temperature related.

So i turned around and came back. I'm tempted to speak to my tutor, but that will require a one on one meeting with him in his office, that should be interesting.