Have you ever been committed to psychiatric hospital

Did you ever take any psychiatric treatment

• Total voters

CursedSoul

Banned
Have you seen a psychiatrist for your problem yet?

Did you find it helpful? Were you on meds or just behavior therapy?

Last edited:

lunarla

Yes, with medication. Can't really say I was "committed" though. I went there willingly. I very much regret going on the medications.

TheTemp

When I was at my worse, I wanted to be "committed" so badly, I thought taking a mental break from everything would be the end of all my problems. I've always been curious as to whether or not it is a temporary fix or a long term solution to one's problems. Very good question!

CursedSoul

Banned
When I was at my worse, I wanted to be "committed" so badly, I thought taking a mental break from everything would be the end of all my problems. I've always been curious as to whether or not it is a temporary fix or a long term solution to one's problems. Very good question!

I think it worsens the condition when you return and people start making fun of the patient....

HappySquidward

I found it helpful. Did it fix all my problems? no. However, I'm glad I went, but I only take my meds went I expect something to happen.

Chess

Growing up I didn't need anything my own parents couldn't handle, so I was never on medication, in therapy, or committed. It's only the past few months that things have been awful. I'm going to talk to someone about actual treatment options (I highly doubt I'll need to be committed) before it gets too bad.

U

user deleted

I haven't been committed, but I've been a voluntary patient to the Priory and a few other hospitals. I don't think they really help for me personally as all of my problems are in the outside world. When I'm hospitalised, it gives me respite from the outside world but I realise I can't run from my problems forever. I think community support is much more beneficial for creating coping strategies and working through issues.

Medication for social phobia specifically is a contentious issue. Whilst it does relieve symptoms in some cases I don't think it can really fix anything in the long run as there are all of the unresolved issues that are left.. well.. unresolved. For other mental health problems, I think medication is more appropriate as a mainstay treatment. For me personally, a combination of both is helpful at this time in my life.

razzle dazzle rose

When I was at my worse, I wanted to be "committed" so badly, I thought taking a mental break from everything would be the end of all my problems.

I have often wondered the same thing. I am actually scared of such a thing happening now. Seems so...severe, I don't know. A real vacation would be nice though. Anyway, I have been to therapists before and been on meds, but at the time it was not for SA. I have been meaning to see a therapist for my SA, but well, even that makes me incredibly anxious so I have been avoiding it...

Earthcircle

Yes, I went many times to many psychiatrists. No, it did not help. Only made things worse, and they put me on everything.

ClovizKarts

yes when i was 18 years old. know i am 32 and that still is something that makes me feel inferior or shame. for many years i was afraid of loosing it again and being forced to go back, not becouse of the hospital in fact, but for losing it. actualy this is something that still hunts me to this days.

yesman

I haven't been committed, but there were some moments where I was close. For instance, when my obsessions got too out of control one time, I asked my dad to take me to the emergency room of the hospital, but he said that the waiting time in the room was too long. My parents managed to calm my obsessions down, and I didn't have to go to the hospital or anything.

I called a emergency helpline one time. It was the stupidest thing I ever did. They asked if I was suicidal and I said yes. They asked my name and address and like an idiot I gave it to them. I was so naive. a worker from the center came to my house and I answered the door which I shouldn't have. She called the cops on the cops took me to the psychiatric hospital and I was involuntarily committed. Had so much anger at that lady because I trusted the people on the phone. I felt so humiliated. At one point someone came in to tell me that they were training other workers and a group of about five people came in and watched as the person asked me questions about what happened. it was terrible! I wanted to beat the crap out of the lady that came to my house. Never trust the workers in a psychiatric ward. They don't care!

Last edited:

Kiwong

I went to a GP, my anxiety unsettled him, so he gave me a prescription and a said "We''ll have to get you to a physchiatrist. So bloody patronising, like I wasn't even in the room. I took the pills flushed them down the toilet and never went back. I made an appointment to see a counsellor.

hidwell

Some psychiatrists are better than others the one I saw was an Indian and I wasn't impressed, as a result I never went back, though I am still taking the medication he prescribed.