Hello, my first post with advise : )

Nytro

Hi everyone,

For past 2 months I have come to realize that I have SAD. I felt different from the world, like an outsider and since last June I have not even begun looking for another Job because of my fears with peer interaction. (Basically @hole employees and customers). Im a huge thinker, we all are, I mean thats how weve come to relize our anxieties and problems with ppl and the fear of being judged or making ourselves look like an ass.

Well Ive done a few things to help myself out and hopefully with more progress I can be free of my fears. Here are some things I have done and I must say they helped ease the pain at least 50%.

Typed report of myself what has caused my SAD. Put it in an envelope addressed it to (whomever) and burned it. Symbolism is the best :D

Bought a whole lot of books cheap online dealing with SAD, Shyness, how to make small talk and communication skills, and self esteem I can list them if you wish.

Having gained 30lbs I have been running and exercising, increses the endorphines. Besides a better looking body cant hurt, it may take loads of stress off.

And have been eating alot less acidic food like meats and such. Instead with more vegetables and fruits more alkaline.

I used to go to bed late at night but now 12-1 am wake up early and start up my day fresh.

Reading my books in the backyard with sunlight helps, you get a tan and you get a whole lot of good vitamins the sun has to offer. I dont use sunblock just sit out there for 2 hours or until you feel youve had enough.

Another thing that has really enhanced my SAD is that I lack making good small talk. (comes with the package of SAD 8O ) So read up on improving all your self worth and youll feel your striving at overcoming this.

Ive been doing this for a week now and feel fantastic, I probalby wont be working as a waiter or anything but I probably will feel a whole lot better, maybe you will too it cant hurt right?

If you have any input or ideas please feel free to share, Im doing everything in my power to overcome my SAD and would like to share why I probalby developed SAD.

Last edited:

4myself

Thank you for that advice, it was very comprehensive and encouraging!. I am heading down the same way myself with the reading but I am way behind you :) . I hope to see you around on the boards more and share advice and stories!. So we can all beat this together!.

4myself

Sorry, my thoughts are a bit disjointed today :) You mentioned in your post about St Johns Wort. I take that when I am depressed, Is that what you are taking it for or does it help with the social phobia as well?.

redlady

I shall reiterate 4myself's thankyou for the advice. I hope that you progress to the stage where you free yourself from your fears - and from what i have read here i think the possibility of that happening for you is pretty rosy.
You know you have just showed me how little i am doing for myself - yeah i have sought help, i am in thereapy - i have to get on a new med soon. But i am not really taking a proactive stance against this. I loved that act of symbolism - i am going to try it - not might or probably I AM!
Would you be so kind as to list those books that you mentioned. Thanks for the inspiration and words of wisdom and common sense.

Nytro

Books and speech!

http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/postlite3628-.html

Again I feel its the lack of Small Talk and social skills, which makes us feel powerless.
Personal Opinion: If you dont go out as much, exercise to improve your self worth. I feel its a half ass way to get over this. Like doing push ups on your knees. So what take the pressure and fight back with some push ups or a mile jog. (Go late at night or early in the morning around your town, practically no ppl) I dont want to sound like a hippie but get into those Natural Cures books.
NOW FOR THE BOOKS :p

Beyond Anxiety and Phobia Edmund J. Bourne (Paperback, 2001)

Natural Relief for Anxiety Arlen Brownstein, Edmund J. Bourne, Edward S. Kubany Ph.D., Lorna Garano (Paperback, 2004)

How to Talk to Anyone Leil Lowndes (Paperback, 2003)

10 Simple Solutions to Shyness Martin M. Antony (Paperback, 2004)

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Clear Communication Kris Cole, Kris Crystal Clear Communication Cole (Paperback, Illustrated, 2001)

How to Raise Your Self-Esteem Nathaniel Branden (Paperback, Reissue, 1994)

Inter-Act With Infotrac Kathleen S. Verderber, Rudolph F. Verderber (Paperback, 2000)

The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook. Edward J. Bourne (Paperback, 2000)

The New Secrets of Charisma Doe Lang, Doe Lang Ph.D. (Paperback, Revised, 1999)

Charisma Anthony J. Alessandra (Hardcover, 1998)

Win The Crowd Steve Cohen (Hardcover, 2005)

Living Fully with Shyness and Social Anxiety Erika Hilliard (Paperback, 2005)

Nonstop Networking: How to Improve Your Life, Luck, and Career
By: Andrea R. Nierenberg

Going Public : A Practical Guide to Developing Personal Charisma
By: Hal Milton

Self-Esteem: A Proven Program of Cognitive Techniques for Assessing, Improving, and Maintaining Your Self-Esteem [Paperback]
By: Matthew McKay, Patrick Fanning

The Pocket Guide to Making Successful Small Talk : How to Talk to Anyone Anytime Anywhere About Anything [Paperback]
By: Bernardo J. Carducci

So far ive been reading the Pocket Guide to making successful Small Talk, Its small and probably can be read within a few hours but instead of 400 pages of "filling in space" it gets to the point and lets you know what youve been searching for. Ive done research on all these books and all have gotten good reviews.

The other book 10 Simple Solutions ive been also reading and have decided to to exercises after i read the book or even all the other books. Like I said again reading cant hurt, Im soo damned determined to keep pushing myself that I dont have time to worry anymore.

Last edited:

Nytro

Hi everyone,

For past 2 months I have come to realize that I have SAD. I felt different from the world, like an outsider and since last June I have not even begun looking for another Job because of my fears with peer interaction. (Basically @hole employees and customers). Im a huge thinker, we all are, I mean thats how weve come to relize our anxieties and problems with ppl and the fear of being judged or making ourselves look like an ass.

Well Ive done a few things to help myself out and hopefully with more progress I can be free of my fears. Here are some things I have done and I must say they helped ease the pain at least 50%.

Typed report of myself what has caused my SAD. Put it in an envelope addressed it to (whomever) and burned it. Symbolism is the best :D

Bought a whole lot of books cheap online dealing with SAD, Shyness, how to make small talk and communication skills, and self esteem I can list them if you wish.

Having gained 30lbs I have been running and exercising, increses the endorphines. Besides a better looking body cant hurt, it may take loads of stress off.

And have been eating alot less acidic food like meats and such. Instead with more vegetables and fruits more alkaline.

I used to go to bed late at night but now 12-1 am wake up early and start up my day fresh.

Reading my books in the backyard with sunlight helps, you get a tan and you get a whole lot of good vitamins the sun has to offer. I dont use sunblock just sit out there for 2 hours or until you feel youve had enough.

Another thing that has really enhanced my SAD is that I lack making good small talk. (comes with the package of SAD 8O ) So read up on improving all your self worth and youll feel your striving at overcoming this.

Ive been doing this for a week now and feel fantastic, I probalby wont be working as a waiter or anything but I probably will feel a whole lot better, maybe you will too it cant hurt right?

If you have any input or ideas please feel free to share, Im doing everything in my power to overcome my SAD and would like to share why I probalby developed SAD.

Last edited:

IcanDoIt

Nytro said:

i agree with u totally on this one!

FruitLooPs

4myself said:
Sorry, my thoughts are a bit disjointed today :) You mentioned in your post about St Johns Wort. I take that when I am depressed, Is that what you are taking it for or does it help with the social phobia as well?.

Yeah if found it a good anti-depressant, but didn't so much help relieve anxiety. Thats just me though, anythings worth a shot right :)