here's a symptom I havn't seen anybody else have yet

I can't be the only person to have dificulty urinating in public places. It sure is fun at the bar to have a few beers and then spend an hour watching the bathroom trying to time it so nobody else is in there or might come in. Its why I quit going to the bar. sometimes I'd have to try like 4 or 5 times before I could finally go. try explaining that to any freinds you might be with. Hell even at the gas station if I go in the restroom and somebody's in there its a no go. even at peoples houses I have trouble. you'd think I'd have a 6 gallon bladder by now.

Anonymous

I have a similar problem.But I'm usually fine in a strange bar,as I won't have to make small talk with the other people in there.In my local bar I tend to only go when I thing there's no one else in and I'm real quick incase someone mignt come in.Now I'm ok if one of my friends or someone nice comes in,as I can small talk easily with these people.

Crimefish

Yeah, I have that, and lots of other SAers do. There's an official name for it which I forget.
By the way, you really shouldn't wait too long, it causes erectile dysfunction.

Remus

Staff member
I can wee in public places but cannot poo anywhere, that I am very phobic about.

dont want to be heard/smelled/seen

I also feel sitting on the tiolet makes my skin crawl as I feel it is very dirty and germ ridden.

LilMissTragic

I can't use public toilets or the toilets at other peoples houses. nothing to do with my socialphobia, more to do with my OCD.

Chilling_Echo

toilet seats are just gross, sitting down and realizing your leg is now wet just makes me want to hurl. do guys just chat in the bathroom or what? then again supposedly girls go there only to talk anyway so why can't guys...

Anonymous

I too have heard of this problem before and seen it at other forums and have the phobia myself but not the urination (Mineis the same as Remus's) :( ... ...I've read about on the net and discovered it's another 'symptom' of Social Phobia. I've heard it called "restroom/public restroom phobia" and also SBS--- "Shy Bladder Syndrome" (I guess our problem would be the same Remus, "SBS" as well... "Shy BOWEL Syndrome"?

Here are some posts at another forum about it:

http://www.teenhelp.org/groups/archive/index.php/t-4827.html

There's also a book on help for dealing with it at Amazon.com under "Shy Bladder Syndrome". I didn't read the book so I can't comment on it. Too bad I didn't read it and find it a waste of time & money and I could say "Piss on it!" :lol:

Anonymous

Oh Remus... look what this thread has led me to find!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brand New Site for those with "Shy Bowel Syndrome"!
Steven Soifer
[email protected]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Folks:
Well, it's finally happened.

We've coined a new word, "parcopresis," and have applied it to the phenomenon of "shy bowel syndrome." Thanks to Professor Alex Gardner in the UK for coming up with term - most appropriate!

You can find the site at home.freeuk.net/parcopresis. It will also be on our links page under general mental health.

Best Regards,

Steve Soifer
IPA Executive Director

LilMissTragic

Germs germs germs...yuk yuk yuk!!!
Have ya also noticed just how few people wash thier hands after they have been to the loo....YUK!!!!
I feel the need to clean!

Anonymous

Yeah...I have a problem with this too. The only time i don't is when I am drunk and i am totally relaxed. I tend to use the disabled toilets at work as it is a room on it's own. If I have to use the other toilet I sometimes hold it in until the other people have left. but if I am absolutely busting to go then i usually don't have a problem.