Hey Webmaster. Is it time?

GettingThere

As I write this there are 4 members and 84 guests.

Perhaps it is time to allow guests to have their say again. What do you think?

Remus

Staff member
Yup

we got mods

now let guests back, if they misbehave, they get deleted....simple!

ScaredGirl

Dear Moderator,

I'm not so sure about allowing guests who have not logged in.

I belong to an unmoderated forum which has to do with a crippling hand condition for which there are few treatments. Now you'd think that would be a fairly focused place. Nope. There is a fellow there who has been stalking posters for over a year insisting that doctors who perform a particular not-well-known procedure need not have training in it - self-taught is acceptable.

This whack-job is very well spoken. His arguments against training have swayed a few newbies who then went on to get their hands worked on by his doctor of choice setting an alarming precident. :-(

The doctor in question was called by one of the forum members and the poor soul genuinely had no idea there was such a forum or that his name was on it. Seems he was being stalked himself by an overly grateful patient.

For now I am grateful there is a forum moderator here 'cause I'm mentally exhausted from that other forum.

Scared Girl

Remus

Staff member
you get weirdo's like that whether forums are moderated or not, such is the nature of the net

Yossarian

Crikey nick you must have super powers to know who all these guests are. It's funny, people get angry because 'normal' people don't understand that we are different but make the same mistake. They assume all people with SP are the same, the same symptoms, problems, reasons etc and fail to tolerate or accomodate our differences.

Just because we could become members doesn't mean other people can. One of the first people I talked with on this site was a person who was afraid to become a member. She had her reasons as do others. Who are we to judge? Haven't we paid enough from other peoples' judgements? Shouldn't we learn the lesson? Or is it because you haven't read that in a book?

I think an important thing to remember is that you aren't God. You aren't omniscient. Another important thing to remember is that we have hardly had a decrease in trolls since guests were banned. A third thing to remember is that in the past guests have been equally if not more important to this site. The freedom of anonymity meant they could be more open and honest, giving us much wisdom, insight, support and wit. You might be happy to lose such things because you can't shrug off a few stupid comments by morons but I'm not.

This is a much poorer site since guests were banned from posting. It was a much richer more enjoyable place to come. Maybe you don't believe they have anything to contribute but they do. Maybe you don't feel the need for them because you have all the answers? I don't know.

You talk as though you know everything about SP but you can't even comprehend why it can be hard for some people to become members? Just because you don't understand the reasons, doesn't mean they don't exist or aren't valid.

I would of thought people here would be more understanding, more accepting. Obviously I thought wrong. It's just about looking after yourselves or others like you. If you really cared about people with SP you would be prepared to put up with some small discomfort for the sake of others'.

Apologies if this is a bit rude but it is something I care about. I'm not just talking to you but all who think the same. I just see this as greed and selfishness, which makes me angry.

"Every person takes the limits of their own field of vision for the limits of the world. " - Arthur Schopenhauer

J

I say let guests back in ONLY if there is timely and aggressive moderation, and it doesn't result in good threads vanishing because a troll posted in them (i.e., delete only troll posts, not whole threads). The problem here seems to be that trolls get too many opportinuties to wreak havoc before being deleted.

Trolls don't get to me much, as I just ignore them. But, some ppl here are more sensitive than others and don't have that luxury (I recall a time when I didn't).

I was a guest for eons, but only due to a computer glitch. I personally have no inhibitions about signing up to join a site (but again, some folks do). I just vanish quietly once I think that everyone there hates me ....