How can I help someone overcome their shyness?

BrokenDream

Sometimes I just struggle with understanding shy people, which is odd since I myself can be a little shy at times. Like if someone were to tell me they were shy while contacting them, and when meeting them they would act very open, confident and easily to express themselves. While someone coming off with every reason to be confident, gets overly shy in weird situations. My question is this, how can I help a close guy friend of mine overcome his shyness? I feel like we are on the bridge of starting a relationship, since he did tell me that he loves me, but he'll act shy in certain situations and block off talking to me, and apoligize alot. I would love to see him more open and energetic and willing to take chances. In all honestly, I dont see it as being that far away right now, since of the really fun personality he displays at times. In the thought to post kinda like.."oh hey! shyness fourm!" lol....idk XD

any tips or advice? leave em' :D :)

WeirdyMcGee

I think that some people are just characteristically shy/reserved/introverted.
It's hard to 'overcome' something when you don't have the capacity to 'revert' to being more outgoing or less scared to speak up or do things.

But if someone wants to change-- REALLY wants to make a change; they will do it. With or without your help.
They need to want it bad enough, though.

Some people just are shy, McGee has it right.

And right again with wanting to make a change.

That being said if a shy person begins trust you more and more you will notice that person opening up to you. Catch is only to you or others they come to know and trust. Watch what happens when you two go out and attempt to mingle with others.
Lights out.

BrokenDream, your friend could also be introverted. Probably is.
An introvert's energy drains out in social situations. He probably likes his alone time to gather himself and his thoughts. Might like to try making situations, events where less crowds are. Museum or zoo or library comes to mind. He might be more open with questions or in general in those areas.