How common is Social Anxiety amongst North Americans ?

UnbreakableShell

Anyone know a fact to this? Like for example 1 out of every 1000 people will get (put disease name here). So how about Social Anxiety, like 1 out of X number of people suffer ?

Hurricane

Code:
Social phobia is the most common anxiety disorder and is thought to affect 1 in 10 people at some time in their lives. Approximately 3% of people are thought to have social phobia at any one time.

nerdgirl178

Seems like 1 out of every 100 in North America. I live in Italy right now and believe me Italy is not a place where shyness exists.

paul

1 out of 100 definitely seems more accurate to me. if it was 1/10, that would mean more than 20 million people would have SA in the US alone. :?

Hurricane

it's 1 in 10 at some stage of peoples life, for example someone suffers from it in puberty but loses it by getting older (yes it seems that is possible...)
at any given moment it's 3%, that means 3 in 100

dominucci

15 million Americans is what I read last...third most common dsm-iv diagnosis after depression and substance abuse.

sensitive

Hurricane said:
Code:
Social phobia is the most common anxiety disorder and is thought to affect 1 in 10 people at some time in their lives. Approximately 3% of people are thought to have social phobia at any one time.

8O no way. i also read this but it is just unreasonable. 1 of every 100 or 200 sounds more reasonable.

sensitive

nerdgirl178 said:
I live in Italy right now and believe me Italy is not a place where shyness exists.

i don't know, italians are more outspoken even rude sometimes (no offence) , they talk too much they have a language with a funny accent (i'd like to learn it :p , my dad used to speak it)