How low can you go?

ianxxx

Hi everyone, My name is Ian. I do not suffer from social phobia anymore and therefore will not be posting much. I just wanted to share with you all my incredible story of how bad things can get when you have acute social phobia and no social safety net. Just a warning, this isn't for the faint of heart.

I did not know my real parents. I was adopted from birth and raised in Calgary, Canada. I had very severe social phobia while growing up. You all know what that's like so I won't bore you with the details. I started doing drugs as a teenager and got into the wrong group simply to have "friends". My step father died when I was young and my mother tried to do her best raising me. I flunked out of high school. At this point, I left home and headed to find work in Toronto. I worked at very mundane jobs for a few years and when I found out my mother had died, my life took a turn for the worse. My life was already hell because of my social phobia. I had to take jobs that did not involve any sort of interaction with people so they were really low paying.

So there I was working for peanuts in a big city, with no prospects because of my condition. I was 22 with no friends, no girl, no money and this constant low opinion of myself that wouldn't go away. 6 months later I told my boss to go fuck himself and did not leave my room for 3 weeks. My social phobia was so severe that I could not speak to anyone, let alone go for a job interview. I was down to my last hundred dollars, my rent was due and I had no food. Shortly after that, I found myself on the street with a few garbage bags full of clothes. It was May so the temperature was ok for sleeping outside. I was quickly introduced to life on the street by other street people and began begging on a busy corner in the financial district. Here I was with my hat out begging for money while busy professionals walked past me. Most ignored me, some gave me dirty looks and some could be over heard saying how I should be removed or how pathetic I looked. Having severe social phobia, I could not ask for money, or even look people in the eye. I sat there with my hat out staring at the ground and trying to mentally tune out the verbal abuse. I was still me inside, but outside, I was vermin that most people wanted nothing to do with.

I don't want to write a book here (although I could), but suffice it to say, I did not make enough money to eat. The world can be very tough and I was finding out first hand. I resorted to eating out of dumpsters behind resturants. The worst part about becoming a bum is that you are deprived of basic things like a shower, toothbrush, clean clothes. That really takes getting used to. The summer came and went and before long, I found myself sitting over a subway grate with a dirty blanket around me, and it was -25 C. The street patrol would try to get us to go to a shelter, but they where over crowded and full of lice. Not to mention, you could get your boots taken from you while you slept. I did this for 2 years!! I don't know how I survived.

The breaking point for me was waking up one morning in February and discovering that someone had tossed me aside and stole my subway grate. I was frozen to the sidewalk and could barely move. I managed to get to my feet and the next thing you know, I was yelling at the top my lungs at everyone that walked by. There I was, a greasy long haired, long bearded and tattered clothes lunatic, I must have been a sight. I stood there and yelled at people like a crazy person until the cops came to arrest me. I had snapped. Looking back, this was truely the lowest point in my life.

Heading into the police station, I heard comments like "what rock did he crawl out from under" and " oh my god, he smells. ( I hadn't showered in over 2 years). They processed me and instead of charging me, they transferred me to a phych hospital. I had lost my wallet years ago, so there was no way they could ID me. I did not speak for at least 1 month. I was deemed violent so I was restrained for most of the time. During that first month, I do believe I was insane. It was not me, but some unfortunate sole who had simply lost his mind.

I slowly came out of it and was be-friended by one of the workers there. I eventually spoke and after a while, They let me mingle with the others there. As bad as things were, I felt better than I had felt in my entire life. I also made a promise to myself that I would never allow myself to get like this again and linked everything back to my social phobia. At that point, I linked to much pain with being socially phobic, that I simply would not accept that in my life ever again. I started a new life without social phobia because I simply did not care what others thought of me (and that's the key) because everything was really insignificant compared to what I had just been through.

I stayed at the hospital for 3 months and worked on getting my life back on track. I read "The millionaire next door" and other inspirational books like that while I was there. Eventually, I was released to a halfway house and social assistance got me a job. I moved out on my own soon afterwards. I could now talk to people without looking away and I did not feel inferior. I could carry on a conversation and speak freely anytime and anywhere. I was not nervous in public and never considered myself socially phobic ever again.

I lived in a rooming house for years while I saved every last cent from my 2 jobs. I quit one job and took a business course at the local college. In 3 years I managed to save almost $35,000. I started a cleaning company the next year and concentated on growing the business. Today, I employ 24 people and have accumulated over 1 million dollars in personal wealth. I have never had social phobia come back into my life. I refuse to. I have friends and participate in social gatherings all the time. I have meetings with customers, banks and suppliers without any hint of social phobia. I would not have dreamed I would ever be able to do that.

Many of you will never sink as low as I had to, thankfully. If i could sum it all up, I would have to say that the only way I beat social phobia is by wiping the slate clean and startin from scratch. When you are truely at the bottom then the only way to go is up.

Scottish_Player

Hi Ianxxx

well i dont realy no what to say other than your life is a very touching and inspirational one :) iam glad to hear you are free of SA now but it did seem one hell of a way to get over it but i guess its all be worth it in the end :D

that was a very intresting read :wink:

Tim001

That was quite the story. Very inspirational. I'm not sure if I would have what it takes to survive that. I would have probably thrown myself under a bus or something. You deserve everything you have now. One thing is for sure, I will never look at street people the same again. :|

Sebastian

Very sad and happy story at the same time. I'm really glad that you succeeded. I control my social phobia and cannot be really considered a sociophobic, although I feel it lurking inside as it will probably never go away completely. My liberation came after I too touched rock bottom - not going through what you went through, though. I believe that starting from scratch is a very good way to start a new life. Sometimes, it's easier to start something anew than to repair it.

AnnaMaria

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR AMAZING STORY IAN. :cry:

Sounds like someone from above was watching over you.

You should go on Oprah. More should know of this hard journey you had.

marc72

wow

:lol: Congratulations to you and your success story. I was on the streets for only about 5 months but for you going for 3 YEARS!!! wow you are an amazing person to survive that . Yeh you should be on Oprah for real. Hey while you was at the pysch ward, did they give you medication??.

marc72

wow

:lol: Congratulations to you and your success story. I was on the streets for only about 5 months but for you going for 3 YEARS!!! wow you are an amazing person to survive that . Yeh you should be on Oprah for real. Hey while you was at the pysch ward, did they give you medication??.

Fighter86

Wonderful Story....

U were amazing, & that's to say the least. Felt very encouraged by your story :wink: In fact, I am gonna print it out- can use it as reference while conquering my SA. WELL DONE...& congralations for making it!!!!!!!!! :lol: