how noteable is your SA

Lost_Nomad

Does every one have SA that people can see , or is it just something you feel but dont show. I myself have notesable SA and allthough i try to hide it i cant most of the time. :?

deteck

i feel that people can notice it...just nobody has said anything. either that or im just extremely paranoid.

lonesomeboy

i rnk 99% of the general population dont even know what SA is. they prob just think ur shy, quiet and introverted.

redlady

Mmmmm.... are you being ironic or don't you genuinely know ?
If not SA is Social Anxiety.

blubs

I don't mind being quiet or introverted.
Its the visible signs I have of anxiety that I hate.
I shake and get a nervous twitch if I'm very anxious...and I can't stand people seeing me like that. :(

paul

It depends - midyear at school, in my class, when I know everybody, it's not visible at all. But on the first day of school I have visible signs of SA, shaking, shortness of breath, etc. I think that since people in my grade (8) are a little less aware of SA, they might think I'm insane :?

Chilaxin17

blubs said:
I don't mind being quiet or introverted.
Its the visible signs I have of anxiety that I hate.
I shake and get a nervous twitch if I'm very anxious...and I can't stand people seeing me like that. :(
I can completely relate to that. I used to be a very outgoing and outspoken person, but have become more quiet and reserved and from there it developed into SA.

I know exactly what you mean; I don't mind the being quiet part, but the signs of SA such as shaking and being nervous and twitchy are very annoying and noticable. As much as people can try to tell and convince us that it is not I am pretty sure that others notice it at times.

I hope that there's an answer out there for us somewhere and continue to pray that I find it :) .

Lost_Nomad

i guess all of us here show some visualy observable signs like sweeting and blushing etc.. . The statistic is that only about 4% to 5% of the population have this uncontrolable nerviousness. I feel the same way blubs , its like your uncomfortable in your own skin. how am i to talk if i always feel like that. :x

Pearl

I think maybe the more people get to know you and your personality, the more they accept you and then your self esteem has a chance to grow. You can't be concerned about opinions of strangers all the time, who cares what they think. Someone l know told me recently l didn't appear anxious, but then she's a constant chatterbox and not focussed on me a great deal. But that was the only positive feedback l've had. Mostly when people observe me l get alot of comments, it's very obvious cos l'm awkward, mute, nervous, avoid people... I only care about the positive people though, it's too easy to be critical.

Fighter86

miraculousmum said:
i dont think a lot of people know what social anxiety is, but i do know that some people think im a bit weird and quiet.

Exactly. Many can't even comprehend the idea of having an anxiety disorder, let alone a social disorder. I bet nearly the entire population where I live haven't even heard of it( I live in a small country of 'bout 3-4 million people where the only mental illnesses people know of are the more common ones like depression & schsophiznia). Instead, my peers think I'm weird, quiet & sort of a loser coz I have so little friends, never volunteer answers in class, never have anything exciting planned. Day after day, I simply stay home when there's no school :roll: I get really embarressed when people ask me wat I do during my free time. I mean they look at me & think that I'm probably a boing person since I don't really offer any input in conversations or anything...

sensitive

miraculousmum said:
i dont think a lot of people know what social anxiety is, but i do know that some people think im a bit weird and quiet.

That is absolutely me. I don't think people can know i am social phobic simply becasue thay don't know what Social Phobia is (people are unaware, also fools :p )