how to beat agoraphpbia

ted87

I have agoraphobia somewhat. It's not horrible. I mean I can leave my house with no problem, It's just sometimes I get a little anxious when I'm in a public place. Driving can be a problem if I'm stuck in traffic or at a stop light. I try to put myself in these situations and sometimes I feel really really good afterwards that I beat it but I still struggle somewhat

DOes anyone have tips to beat it?

Facethefear

I had it for a while,,,a long while. Medicate then practice then wean yourslf down to a low dosage. Driving - practice yoga breathing. In through the nose -hold the breath -and then blow out gently through lips. Public place - have pockets to place hands - carry things so you can grab on to them, wear sunglasses - hats - .

truffleshuffle

I have it although like you i can leave my house sometimes its worse than others and I still keep my apartment like a cave with the windows drawn most of the time. I just kinda forced my self to places where I can get out of the house but felt more comfortable. it helps that when I feel like its taking over my life again I go for long and short drives just to get out of the house and almost every time I feel more relaxed even on short drives.

Exposure therapy

Relaxation exercises

Group therapy

CBT Therapy

Routine* (this helped me...a predictability of my day outside the house, planned out)

Coping exercises

I live a pretty normal life. Its true I rarely act spontaneously in others company but I can act spontaneously in my own company. I can go out unplanned to anywhere really now when it's just me. I know thats the opposite of a lot of people. I just seem to feel more comfortable on my own, I think its because I can be more alert if needs be, its like a self defense thing or something.

I still get days and moments where its difficult but having safe places outside the home helps me.If I go into the City Centre I identify a cafe or quiet bench somewhere that is mine for future reference and I go there or plan to go there if I panic. I've been going to the same safe spots for several years. In work I go sit in the lobby, in college theres some hidden away steps. I take myself out for a minute and then I can head back in. If theres loads of people around, theres always the toilets to go hide in for a few mins.

And I do have days on my time off where I don't want to go anywhere and on those days, I don't go anywhere. They are much rarer now.

A combination of all these things has helped me progress a lot from where I was before.
(Everyday getting up and dressed and sitting on the stairs in my house staring down my front door for 15 hours crying before giving up and going to bed)

I don't recommend medication. I think it can exacerbate the problem and lead to dependancy. I manage without.