how to start a conversation?

firelily

You can always talk about the weather. I know it sounds dopey but its a starting point. I find people always like to bitch about the weather (hey I do it too) :D

StreetWorm

I'm trying to just ask people how they're day went. When it's just general everyday conversation it usually doesn't really spark any conversation and they'll generally just say nothing but I think if they understand and pick up on the fact that you really honestly want to start a full-blown conversation they'll start talking more and more. At that point if you ask for clarification on something or just add a few comments here and there you might actually have a good conversation with someone.

...Of course you always have people who just say "Oh, Nothing" anytime you ask...actually I believe we are those people. I think instead of working just on starting conversation we should realize when someone is giving us the opportunity to talk to them.

It's something I've been trying to work on lately. There hasn't been a ton of progress but I feel like I've loosened up a little more than usual since I decided that I just didn't want to act so damn shy anymore. Still, it has only been a week so it's kind of early to tell what's going to happen. One can only hope.

JoeRandomUser

StreetWorm said:
...Of course you always have people who just say "Oh, Nothing" anytime you ask...actually I believe we are those people. I think instead of working just on starting conversation we should realize when someone is giving us the opportunity to talk to them.
Good point.

I can usually identify the opener, but I just worry that whatever I say will be boring and not worth telling... it's so stupid because I know that what I do is not really any more boring than the everyday stuff other people do, but that's the way I feel about it lot of the time.

tupac

you could just say hello and make a compliment to the person.i know thats one way how i start a coversation but whens its time to have one with a person i can't. few things will happen i get to nervous, my mind goes blank, i might stutter. keeping a conversation goign for me is even harder because i find that as time goes by my anxiety only gets worse.

IcanDoIt

beautiful_soul said:
be honest with those compliments

:roll:

lol..

i still remember the day when i complimented the girl's hair saying how smooth and how it suited her, but actually it was all scruffy and frizzy..and she could sense the dishosnesty

that was when i had SP. after that incident, i was so shy embarrassed, i wanted to die, i did not want to meet her again, and i vowed not to speak in case i made a fool again.

but now without SP, i thought the incident was rather funny, and i would not mind meeting her again.. 8)

beautiful_soul

IcanDoIt said:
beautiful_soul said:
be honest with those compliments

:roll:

lol..

i still remember the day when i complimented the girl's hair saying how smooth and how it suited her, but actually it was all scruffy and frizzy..and she could sense the dishosnesty

that was when i had SP. after that incident, i was so shy embarrassed, i wanted to die, i did not want to meet her again, and i vowed not to speak in case i made a fool again.

but now without SP, i thought the incident was rather funny, and i would not mind meeting her again.. 8)

Girls usually sense the dishonest compliments,I met a guy ...he was always telling me compliments and he still doesn't know why I stopped writing to him :) 8)
because I like honesty!!!

sorry about my english

thugaveli

i agree with tupac i can say a quick hi and how are you? but after that i start to panic and as time goes on the anxiety gets worse